SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to be a Successful Ear-scratcher

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

How to be a Successful Ear-scratcher

[b]How to Be a Successful Ear-scratcher[/b]

In today’s world of decadence, self-indulgence, and narcissism (me-centeredness), ear-scratchers are at a premium – just as predicted in Scripture:

“For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
Instead, to suit their own DESIRES,
they will gather around them a great number of teachers
to say what their ITCHING EARS WANT to hear.” 2 Tim 4:3

You can be part of that “great number of teachers” simply by learning how to scratch ears. Here’s how to get started:

Listen carefully to the praises of the people. Note what they like about you, what gives you the most positive feedback. This is how you pick up clues for what to say.

Pay close attention to the religious trends, and try to follow as best as you can. Read their books, and listen to their messages so that you can talk just like them.

THINGS TO SAY:
Tell them whatever causes them to respond favorably to you.
Make the people feel good, so that when they leave, they will say, I’m glad I came to hear you. You made my day.

Refer often to the sins of the world – the homosexuals, abortionists, and the terrorists. On the other hand, praise the congregation for their good works, efforts, achievements, and nice buildings. Be sure to make a comment about God’s glory in it all. That will make them feel very good about their spirituality.

Assure them of God’s love and unconditional acceptance.
Make salvation as easy and inviting as possible. Promise lots of wonderful blessings for all who get saved. Better yet, tell everyone they are saved. They like to receive that kind of assurance.

Talk about exciting times coming ahead – great moves of God, glory, revival, etc,
Focus on the grandeur, the spectacular, and the sensational.
Give promises of numerical and financial growth.

Talk about your achievements. They will want to know that you are a successful person.

Be cool. Be funny. Give them a good laugh. Tell a lot of good stories and jokes.

WHAT NOT TO SAY:

Don’t talk about hypocrisy.

Don’t touch hidden idols: ex: earthly securities, pleasures, loyalties, status, feelings, church, the worship, etc. Doing so would be like touching a hot iron and will ignite the hot wrath of all who worship those things. You sure don’t want to get burned. They may be your best supporters.

Don’t be a wet blanket. Don’t pour water on the altar of their fun, their religious zeal, and their psychological securities. You don’t want a Jezebel after you.

Never talk about judgment unless it pertains to the homosexuals, abortionists, and terrorists.

Don’t bite the hands that feed you. You may lose your bread.

Avoid saying something that will offend anyone.

Avoid talking about the wimpy, the despised, the unattractive, unimpressive, the insignificant, the dull things of this world. No one wants to hear that.

Don't get too deep into the Bible. No one will understand.
Diane

2005/7/25 21:56Profile
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re: How to be a Successful Ear-scratcher

May I ask, what is the point in this?

2005/7/25 22:19Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
May I ask, what is the point in this?

I kinda liked the point she was making actually. It's quite a way of unmasking shallow and uninspired preaching as opposed to faithully obeying the Word of God.

2005/7/25 23:36Profile
moreofHim

Re: ear scratchers

I think this is excellent! I can so relate to this after last weekend. Are you sure you weren't there? Great job, Diane.

In Him, Chanin

2005/7/25 23:46Profile

Re:

2Ti 4:1-5
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

If I haven't seen that word "watch" and this particular Scripture passage more today than ever ... now ain't that somethin'.

Good post roadsign and from a 'she' no less. ;-)

2005/7/25 23:57
roadsign

Re: How not to be an earscratcher

Quote:
I can so relate to this after last weekend. Are you sure you weren't there?

Yes, I was, and that’s what inspired me to write this. It fills me with grief to see that those who once walked close to God, drifted from him, lured away by the praises of man and sinful desires.

It is easy to point at various organizations and their leaders and see this problem, but we must realize that we all can easily be part of it. We flatter each other and scratch each other’s ears, so reinforcing the problem.

Since our early years we learned to use social clues to teach us what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior and speech. However, continuing to be dependent on social clues/pressure causes us to merely float with the trends of society, including religion.

The apostle Paul tells Timothy how to avoid being an ear-scratcher:

“But you, keep your head in all situations.” 2 Ti. 4:5

The head – ie, mind is where we go wrong.

“Do not be conformed any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of you mind” Rom. 12:2

“Love God with all your…… mind” Lk. 10:27

“Be clear-minded …” 1 Pet. 4:7

“His unspiritual mind puffs him up” Col 2:18

“Their mind is on earthly things.” Phil. 3:19

Carefully note this one:
“ He gave them over to a depraved mind” Rom. 1:28

In other words, when people drift from God, their mind is put under the judgment of God.

Just think about the implications of this in our society!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane

2005/7/26 6:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy