SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : ~Question~ Does God speak to us today outside His word?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
GulchStepper

Vermont

~Question~ Does God speak to us today outside His word?

Would God ever speak OUTSIDE His word?
~Hebrews 1:1-2~

Utilizing the power of Sola Scriptura, is there any verses that claim God will speak directly and personally to us today outside of the Bible?

I hear people say, I heard a still small voice(out of context verse), I had an impression, I think God said.
Is any of this found in the Bible?

I've never read anywhere God speaking this way to anyone.

God never spoke in an impression, or a feeling or a nudge in the Bible? Why are so many getting this?

Who is speaking to them if they're hearing these things, or is it just their own selves?

I've prayed and prayed about things, and life decisions but I've never gotten answers or impressions like all these people.

If it were true He spoke outside the Bible why does he only speak to some and not others?

2022/1/14 10:14Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: ~Question~ Does God speak to us today outside His word?

Are you filled with the Holy Spirit, brother?
This is not a doctrinal question, but have you been filled with the Holy Spirit since you believed Acts 19:2? I am asking you, has this really happened to you?

The filling with the Spirit is a transaction, where God fills hungry, thirsty, empty, and cleaned vessels.

If not, then ask, and if nothing happens, keep asking.
I baptized a young lady in water 3 years ago and layed hands on her to be filled with the Spirit. Nothing happened and I knew nothing happened, but she kept asking, seeking and knocking. A couple of weeks ago, she received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

There are several incidents in Acts where believers were not yet filled with the Spirit. Read it in Acts for yourselves.

When you have experience this, you will not only understand his word better, but also hear his voice - for his sheep hear his voice, and this still applies today.

The 5 solas is a clever invention of man. Sounds very biblical, but the concept as such is not in the bible, it is a compilation, a simplification. It is an incomplete concept with faults and ommissions.

God still speaks to us today outside the bible, but will never contradict it.

2022/1/14 11:50Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Every great man of God in history would confirm that God has spoken to them outside of reading verses in the Bible.

“Christian believers make a great mistake when they refer only to the Bible as the Word of God. True, the inspired Bible is the Word of God speaking to our hearts and to our souls. But in referring to the Word of God, we do not mean just the book—printed pages sewed together with nylon thread. Rather, we mean the eternal expression of the mind of God. We mean the world-filling breath of God!

Has the Lord ceased speaking? Or is He still speaking but humankind has closed its heart-ears to His voice? God continues to speak and if we listen His voice penetrates to our heart core.” ~~AW Tozer

2022/1/14 13:47Profile
GulchStepper

Vermont

Re:

Hello👋

Yes, mate I have been.

But my question on this is, where does it say in the Bible that after the baptism you will hear His voice?
Everyone who heard it previously didn't have the baptism.

I believe the reference from John 10 "my sheep hear my voice." Is referring to the salvation call. Jesus was speaking in a parable and the context of it was about salvation.
Jesus calling/drawing his sheep Roman's 8:29-30 John 6:44.

But my questions are:

~How is it that some believers can tell the voice of God and others can't?

~Wouldn't God communicate like He did in the Bible, audibly?
Many claim impressions, nudges or a still small voice(that verse is always used out of context because it was still an audible whisper)
But It doesn't say anywhere that God communicated that way or will communicate that way.

I've had people tell me "God said this."
If I have to question if God really said something was it really from God?

My concerns are:

~If God seems to be speaking to everyone today(outside of the Bible) why didn't He speak as much in times past/old testament?

~If God gave us everything that pertains to life and Godliness(His word) since all is written in there.
~2 Peter 1:2-3
How would he speak directly to us outside of His word?

~If God speaks outside of His word wouldn't it be as authoritative as his word?

~If it's as authoritative we would have an open canon of scripture, but the book says not to add or take away from it.

What's concerning to me is many teaching that you have to "tune" into the right frequencies to hear God. That was never taught. And since some are supposedly "not hearing" they go seeking signs and words and experiences instead of scripture.

As you see where we have a big problem. But if this was such a big problem why didn't Paul address it in his letters, or the other Apostles. They never taught how to hear God or to listen for a voice. Even Jesus when he taught us how we should pray. He never said to tune in and listen for a voice.

I'm really troubled by how many are claiming God communicates in mysterious revelations when in the Bible He communicated audibly and they didn't have to think it was God.

Wouldn't that mean the Bible is insufficient if He spoke outside of it? Today we have a bunch of people running around always looking for a word, whether it be for a life decision, who to marry, where to go to college. Now their faith is based off experience, leading into Pietism.
It does say in days of old he spoke through the prophets, but in these last days have spoken to us through His Son.
So If Jesus ascended into Heaven, how does God talk directly to us when He left us His word?

These are Biblical though there are Biblical references of them.
~Sola scriptura ("by Scripture alone")
~Sola fide ("by faith alone")
~Sola gratia ("by grace alone")
~Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone")
~Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone")

2022/1/14 14:21Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: ~Question~ Does God speak to us today outside His word?

This is a touchy subject but I'm going to ask you as Paul asked some disciples on the way:

19:1 And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples. 2 And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

Have you had this experience?

God bless,
Lisa

2022/1/14 14:48Profile
GulchStepper

Vermont

Re:

Hello, mate.

Yes I have had the baptism experience.

2022/1/14 15:09Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

The Solas should add

"sola spirtu sanctis"

The spirit filled man does trust God even though he does not know where he leads. In order to hear his voice we must surrender and follow.

John 3:8
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Note it does not say here "understand my word" but "hears my voice"

John 18:37 ... Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Most of the time God speaks is still through his written word though, but he uses many other ways to speak to us, circumstances, friends, enemies, visions, dreams. Often he tries to speak to, but we are "dull of hearing".

He knocks, but not everyone opens
Revelation 3:20

2022/1/14 15:15Profile
GulchStepper

Vermont

Re:

Are there a few names you could name??

There cannot be any buts.
"The Bible is the word of God, but..."
"The Bible is our final authority, but..."
If it's authoritative because God spoke it, then wouldn't God be speaking authoritively OUTSIDE of scripture? Sine God doesn't speak authoritatively in one place but not speak authoritively in another.

The problem this creates is an open canon of scripture.

I'm not saying God doesn't speak at all today, He does. He just doesn't do it in the way all of these hyper charismatic's try to make you believe He does it.

God's word is either living and powerful, or it isn't.
If you have the Holy Ghost, the Bible shouldn't just be a "sewn together book" because the Spirit teaches us(illuminates)what is written in it.

The only one's who have closed their ears to God's voice are those who leave their Bibles on the shelf because they "want more".

Here's what Sarah Young, the author who claims Jesus regularly talks to her, said this:
“I knew that God communicated with me in the Bible, but I yearned for more.”

The end of the quote.
"God continues to speak and if we listen His voice penetrates to our heart core.”
The Bible does exactly that it pierces us as it's sharper than any two edged sword.

2022/1/14 15:33Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

I am glad you tell me you are filled with the Holy Spirit.
What happened to you then? I am curious to know because this is a wonderful event.

I do not know where this notion comes that God cannot speak today because the canon of scripture is closed.

Of course it is closed, but if God calls somebody to Mexico or China, where would you find this in the bible? These things are not in disagreement with the bible.

A friend of mine was praying about going to Russia with her husband. One day she sat on a train and a drunkard started a conversation with her and randomly spluttered completely out of context "Why don't you go to Moscow"

2022/1/14 15:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Justin- I am with you when it comes to the “hypercharismatic” crowd. I know exactly what you are talking about because I have been in fellowships like that ( didnt hang around very long though).

I do believe some are more in tune to hearing from the Lord than others. My wife is much more in tune than I am, but I have a lot more Bible knowledge than she does. I do long to hear directly from the Lord more than I do and I pray for it but doesn’t seem to happen that often.

The one thing I know about people saying they have a “word from the Lord”- if it’s true you know it when you hear it. So it also a matter of discernment.

2022/1/14 16:17Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy