SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Evan Roberts Quote
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Running the Gauntlet of Evil

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TrueWitness

Running the Gauntlet of Evil

The Bible does not attempt to prove the existence of demons any more than it attempts to prove the existence of God. It simply reports on their activities as if its first readers accepted their existence. Perhaps the best description of the spiritual host which harasses God’s people is found in Ephesians 6: 12: “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.”

How do these evil spirits interfere with our lives? Let me answer with a simple illustration. Imagine that you are standing at one end of a long, narrow street lined on both sides with two-story row houses. At the other end of the street stands Jesus Christ, and your Christian life is the process of walking down that long street of maturity in Him. There is absolutely nothing in the street which can keep you from reaching Jesus. So, when you receive Christ, you fix your eyes on Him and start walking.

But since this world is still under the dominion of Satan, the row houses on either side of you are inhabited by beings who are committed to keeping you from reaching your goal. They have no power or authority to block your path or even slow your step, so they hang out of the windows and call to you, hoping to turn your attention away from your goal and disrupt your progress.

One of the ways they will try to distract you is by calling out, “Hey, look over here! I’ve got something you really want. It tastes good, feels good, and is a lot more fun than your boring walk down the street. Come on in and take a look.” That’s temptation, suggesting to your mind ways to serve yourself instead of God.

As you continue your walk toward Christ you will also have thoughts like “I’m stupid. I’m ugly. I’ll never amount to anything for God.” Satan’s emissaries are masters at accusation, especially after they have distracted you through temptation. One minute they’re saying, “Try this; there’s nothing wrong with it.” Then, when you yield, they’re right there taunting, “See what you did! How can you call yourself a Christian when you behave like that?” Accusation is one of Satan’s primary weapons in his attempt to distract you from your goal.

Other remarks which are hurled at you as you walk down the street sound like this: “You don’t need to go to church today. It’s not important to pray and read the Bible every day. Some of the New Age stuff isn’t so bad.” That’s deception, and it is Satan’s most subtle and debilitating weapon. You will often hear these messages in first-person singular: “I don’t need to go to church today, pray, read my Bible,” etc. Satan knows you will be more easily deceived if he can make you think the thought was yours instead of his.

What is the enemy’s goal in having his demons jeer you, taunt you, lure you, and question you from the windows and doorways along your path? He wants you to slow down, stop, sit down, and if possible, give up your journey toward Christ. He wants to influence you to doubt your ability to believe and serve God. Remember: He has absolutely no power or authority to keep you from steadily progressing in your walk toward Christ. And he can never again own you, because you have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and you are forever in Him (1 Peter 1: 18, 19). But if he can get you to listen to the thoughts he plants in your mind, he can influence you. And if you allow him to influence you long enough through temptation, accusation, and deception, he can control you.

Neil T. Anderson. Winning Spiritual Warfare (Harvest Pocket Books) (Kindle Locations 200-201). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

-Daniel

2021/9/19 9:37Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy