SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Evan Roberts Quote
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : God Cares - our anchor in difficult times

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 God Cares - our anchor in difficult times

Dear Friends,

After Covid-19 caused so much heartache last year, this year is perhaps even worse - lives continue to be at risk, the economy reels under the restrictions – not to mention the recent fires and floods in many parts of the world. And now Afghanistan. Shock and disbelief at the unfolding tragedy dominate the media. If we feel so much anguish for the victims of war and plague, how much more God’s heart of love must ache?

The other day we came together as a community to reflect on a Bible passage Mother Basilea spoke about many years ago:

“I will wait for the LORD, who is hiding his face from the descendants of Jacob. I will put my trust in him” (Isaiah 8:17 NIV).

The prophet Isaiah was speaking to the people of Israel, who were going through a hard time, a time of judgement when God seemed to be hiding His face.

How should we think and behave at such a time when God seems to be hiding His face from us? Leading up to this verse Isaiah says: “Don’t believe their every conspiracy rumour. And don’t fear what they [the masses] fear – don’t be moved or terrified. Fear nothing and no one except Yahweh, Commander of Angel Armies! Honour him as holy. Be in awe before him with deepest reverence!” (Isaiah 8:12–13 TPT)

What does that mean practically? Don’t keep talking about the bad news – rumours, terror attacks, invasion of anti-God forces and subsequent horrors… Rather, keep looking to the Lord in everything that happens. Ultimately He is in control. We belong to Jesus, our Saviour and Bridegroom of our souls. Focus on God. Talk about Jesus. Call on His name. Then all of a sudden the terrors and threats will fade away and the all-powerful God stands there. He is in charge. He dominates the scene.

Yes, “I will wait for the LORD.” Every time we feel afraid or hear of something terrifying, let us think of the Lord’s promise and pray aloud: I will wait for the Lord. I will look to Him for help. All power is His in heaven and on earth. And there is nothing that He can’t deal with. No one is more loving or caring than Him. (based on an oral message by Mother Basilea Schlink)

In many situations we won’t know the answer or which decision to make. This is where the Lord asks us to look to Him and to trust Him. We have His promise: “I will be your light forever. Your days of sorrow will come to an end” (Isaiah 60:20 NIRV).

May the Lord bless, guide and strengthen you in all that you are facing.

The Evangelical Sisters of Mary at Darmstadt, Germany

For further reading, see In Him Will I Trust, Hidden in His Hands
https://www.canaaninthedesert.com/product/in-him-will-i-trust/
https://www.canaaninthedesert.com/product/hidden-in-his-hands-devotional-readings/

2021/8/28 16:25Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: God Cares - our anchor in difficult times

Thank you Greg for those words of comfort, and when we go through these tests and trials keeping our eyes on Jesus we find that He is a ever present help in times of trouble. In 2020 Southwest La. experienced two hurricanes, a ice storm, and then a flood in 2021. Today Southeast La. got hit by a major hurricane. God is faithful and has supplied our every need.

2021/8/29 15:13Profile
deogloria

Re:

I'm following the other threads as well, but thought I use this one to share some more thoughts
Of course we need a lot of wisdom now and be discerning. A bit like reading the weather forecast and then make some wise decisions.
Most importantly we should be able to say, "on Christ the solid Rock we stand..." or "it is well with my soul..." etc.And we need the promises of God, but all of them.
In Heb 11 we read:
"Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, ...etc
Then it continues: v36 "Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment..." and some horrible stuff

v 39 And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.
ALL of them were commended through their faith !

Hebrews 12v2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.…

Blessings
Markus

2021/8/30 17:52Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy