SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The days we are living in now - compared with Scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
deogloria

The days we are living in now - compared with Scripture

I saw the thread that savannah started. It already causes a discussion about -ism etc. So I won't take part.
But we all know we are now living in very difficult times. So I have been wondering myself for a while, how can I compare our times with Scripture ? Have we gone wrong somewhere ? What should we learn ? What does the future hold ? Would be interesting to hear your thoughts. But please avoid debates about -ism and -ology etc. But try to use biblical examples or passages. I hope it will be a constructive discussion and Greg won't need to lock it.

2021/8/16 18:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: The days we are living in now - compared with Scripture

How do you know that scripture specifically references this time (ie 2021)?

Not saying it doesn’t but just wondering if /why you think it does.

2021/8/16 20:33Profile
deogloria

Re:

Thanks Todd,
"Not saying it doesn’t but just wondering if /why you think it does."
I didn't mention 2021 - I look at it in a bit a broader sense

Also I didn't say that I "know" that scripture specifically references this time
I have been "wondering" myself for a while,
But first I would like to hear what you all think...

2021/8/16 20:49Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Without doing a line by line scriptural assessment, being unnecessary, suffice to say that I have never witnessed such scale as is presently underway. Wether by natural disasters, schemes of man, or demonic influences there is an all out assault that has begun and the church is not to be left untouched, as we witness many divisions within the greater company of saints. If it is a portion of scriptural fulfillment, it’s only the beginning...

Has there ever been a time of greater distress,... that everyone the world over is being affected ?

Understanding that many may be unaware of what all is taking place presently, you would undoubtedly be surprised. Wether “naturally occurring” or “manufactured events” the level of destruction presently being experienced by the inhabitants of the earth is unparalleled in scale of damage as well as the number of people affected and that’s not to mention the rise of demonic influence around the world which has produced previously unheard of reach.

(For me) The Bible has clearly and accurately predicted these things in ways I still find, having not the light to see previously what had been there all along, to be remarkable in their ability to describe a thing so clearly yet remain hidden until the Holy Spirit gives iight to open it.

My personal take is that, barring an intervention, it’s gonna get much worse before it gets better.

One thing that always stood out to me in the biblical narrative was how Israel’s whole identity was inextricably wrapped up in their coming messiah for thousands of years and yet He came according to the promise, announced by the prophet, teaching in their temples and healing in their streets, performing miracles in their midst and yet.... they missed it !!!
So I wonder if the church with her whole identity inextricably wrapped up in her coming bridegroom, also for thousands of years,.. might not also (by and large) miss it ??

(Edit to correct- autocorrect)

2021/8/16 22:50Profile
passerby

Matthew 16:2-3

"When evening comes, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,' and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.

Luke24:25

Then He said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!

What the scriptures says is all that matters, don't simply refer to doctrines and personalities.

2021/8/17 1:00Profile
deogloria

Re: passerby

" You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times."

I would be interested to know how do You interpret the signs of the time.? Let's try and not criticise each other

2021/8/17 1:45Profile
deogloria

Re:

Here is what I'm wondering about our times;
is it just one of many tribulations?
are we on the way to Babylon?
is Sodom and Gomorrah happening again
or are we again in the days of Noah ?
I might explain later which one I think it is.

My concern:
probably most people and a lot of Christians simply think it will one day get better again, "God is in control..."
Yes He is, but I see no repentance, no urgency to pray etc.
Abraham pleaded with the Lord (Gen 18:23)
When you listen to older preachers they tell you when WW2 broke out people went to Church again, repenting, praying, pleading etc.
I hardly see this today.

Just some more thoughts for now

2021/8/17 3:41Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother deogloria

You mentioned not seeing repentance, pleading and praying, etc...
wouldn’t that be a result of the deception that has swept over the world?
It seems (to me) that there is much of it and as such many are distracted while others still are gripped by fear... and all of this exposes the disunity within the church regarding how to view the times we find ourselves in.

At least once a day, tho often more frequently, I get asked if I believe this is the “end” or if the “rapture” is soon to come, etc... Each time the question is predicated on a belief that it is one way or another, with most people believing it is drawing near. Yet this doesn’t compel them to preach repentance 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Considering the sheer scale of it all, it’d be hard not to draw from the biblical narrative in effort to explain and provide context. Tho to be honest, none of us really knows what it will look like (future scriptural fulfillment) and as such we tend to attempt to fit it within our preselected framework and while that’s understandable, it’s nonetheless where we appear to diverge from one another.

I can say this with confidence... if this isn’t a fulfillment of scripture (with the stage being set),it would be hard to imagine the church withstanding much more without a great falling away. Wether the virus, lockdowns, restricted movement and access to goods and services, the political collapse of several national governments, the natural disasters, the social unrest, the influx of marxism and communism, the sexual exploitation of children, the lack of consistent information from news sources, the breaking apart of churches over secular issues, the growing distrust of the medical establishment, the attempts by school districts to indoctrinate children in godlessness, the revocation of long held rights and opportunities, the wars and rumors of wars, the dramatic increase in technologies and knowledge, the disconnect within families, the uncertainty of supply chains, the ability of big tech to either promote or deny government officials a voice to their constituents, the failure of legal establishments to provide equal representation, the coming divisions over “medical restrictions”, the implementation of digital control mechanisms, the rise of social credit systems enforcing compliance with godless ideologies, the perversion and corruption of government agencies, the weaponization of culture against christians, etc, etc, etc... there seems to be a great increase in godlessness and one would imagine our enemy was behind it in one way or another. Yet as bad as things are, the Lord is faithful to use even that which was intended for evil to the good. For several people I know, these things have forged a resolve in their belief in Christ and have in fact grown in their faith thru these times 🙏🏻

Personally I do believe persecution is growing more likely tho not openly against “Christians”, rather it seems to be disguised as the persecution of bigots, racist, intolerant, homophobic, unloving, lacking inclusion, selfishness, etc... but all of these labels have been carefully crafted to sweep up believers in the net all while concealing their true intent which is to oppose God’s rule over His creation.
While it’s easy to get caught up in it all, it’s also important for us to remain grounded in Christ and have a loving heart that is willing to share the gospel 🙏🏻

2021/8/17 8:28Profile
passerby

Re:

"One thing that always stood out to me in the biblical narrative was how Israel’s whole identity was inextricably wrapped up in their coming messiah for thousands of years and yet He came according to the promise, announced by the prophet, teaching in their temples and healing in their streets, performing miracles in their midst and yet.... they missed it !!!"

Many will miss it again because of unbelief and cares of this life.

Matthew 24:37-42

"But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.

2021/8/18 6:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.//

But in those verses the ones taken are not raptured- they are killed in judgment. Luke 17:34-37.

2021/8/18 7:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy