Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Pilgrim Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

The Pilgrim Church

Excellent book on Church history.

The Pilgrim Church” is the account of God's faithful remnant from the time of Pentecost until the eary twentieth century

https://freeditorial.com/en/books/the-pilgrim-church/downloadbookepub/pdf

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=27580&commentView=itemComments

2021/4/8 21:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: The Pilgrim Church

Yes this is a very powerful book, definetly some of the unwritten church history is found in this helpful volume. I have recommended this book for many years.

It is written by a Brethren scholar who paints their movement as the culmnation of all of these remnant groups. Other then that there is alot of wonderful insights.

2021/4/8 22:00Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

What is God Doing? – Up to and Including Reformation:

Much of this teaching by Lance Lambert on early Church history was based on information that can be found in “The Pilgrim Church”

https://www.lancelambert.org/what-is-god-doing-up-to-and-including-reformation/

2021/4/9 7:33Profile
browny

Re: The Pilgrim Church

Thank you!
I love to read the books of Lance Lambert and to listen to his sermons
Thanks also for the link of the book the pilgrim church...I will read this for sure.

2021/4/12 5:20Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

You can see by studying Church history that God always had a remnant that was carrying on the testimony of Jesus. The Lord Himself is building His Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

2021/4/12 10:12Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Mike, Who to you are the "remnant" today?

2021/4/13 9:32Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I believe that the remnant are the overcomers.

“And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.” (Revelation 12:11)

2021/4/13 10:33Profile
billy1980

Tennesse-

Thanks

I just got it downloaded on my computer. Thank you Mike!

2021/4/14 12:17Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Mike,

I just don’t think we should call overcomers the “remnant”.

Some thoughts:

Christians are certainly called to be overcomers and to be the light of the world.

The church is very special to God.

1 Pet. 2:9 –
But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God’s OWN POSSESSION, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

I cannot think of any scripture that refers to the church as a “remnant”.

There was a “remnant” in the Israel of the Old Testament.

But the Israel of the Old Testament was founded on the Old Covenant that could not make anyone perfect.

The kingdom of Israel failed, and the Lord removed them from His sight (2 Kings 17:6-23)

The kingdom of Judah also failed, and the Lord also removed them from His sight (2 Kings 23:26-27).

But the Lord kept a remnant for His purpose.

Isa. 10:22 –
For though your people, O Israel, be as the sand of the sea,
A remnant of them will return;
The destruction decreed shall overflow with righteousness.

Rom. 9:27-29 –
Isaiah also cries out concerning Israel:
“Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea,
The remnant will be saved.

Rom. 11:5-6 –
Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

(My comment: At Paul’s time)

The remnant of Old Israel was brought into the New Covenant of grace.

The New Covenant is eternal, perfect, faultless, and unbreakable.

With the New Covenant, a New Israel came into being, which expanded to include Gentile believers.

Rom. 9:6-8 –
For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.” That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed.

Gal. 4:28 –
And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise.

Gal. 3:28-29 –
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Eph. 2:11-16 –
Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision " by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands-- remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

It is no longer about reduction but expansion and increase.

This command stands:

Matt. 28:18-20 –
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

There is a great multitude in view.

Rev. 7:9-10 –
After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”

Overcomers are not a “remnant”.

Overcomers are “a kind of firstfruits (James 1:18)”.

The Lord said through the prophet Habakkuk:

Hab. 2:14 –
"For the earth will be filled
With the knowledge of the glory of the LORD,
As the waters cover the sea.”

Blessings

2021/4/15 9:01Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Thank you brother for your thoughts on overcomers and the remnant. I am still seeking the Lord for light on this subject.

2021/4/15 11:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy