SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Who is Worthy?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
billy1980

Who is Worthy?

“A time is drawing near that has never been seen,” Brad Witt and within the Scriptures we can see what will take place right before it happens!

“I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a scroll written inside and on the back, sealed up with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, “Who is worthy to open the scroll and to break its seals?” And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to look into it. Then I began to weep greatly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into it.” Revelation 5:1-4

Continuing on in our meditations through the book of Revelation, we now come to what appears to be a dilemma at first glance. God the Father is holding a scroll with writing on both sides of it, sealed by seven distinct seals. Sadly “no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to look into it.” Revelation 5:3 None are found worthy it seems. The Apostle John then began to cry, tears streaming down his face. “Because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into it.” Revelation 5:4 This scroll must have some importance, if it’s affected the Apostle John in such a way. I believe he had an inward sense of its importance, from the reaction given within God’s throne room, his time within the Old Testament writings, with Christ, and direct teaching from the Holy Spirit.

Then one of the elders said to Him, “Stop weeping; behold, the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to be able to open the scroll and its seven seals.” Revelation 5:5

As John was sobbing, an elder came up to him. He had great news for John, for the “Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to be able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

Who is this Lion from the tribe of Judah, the root of David? Through the genealogies in Matthew 1:1-17 and Luke 3:23-28, and other places through out the Bible, we know with surety that this speaks of Jesus Christ.

We can see that there is a great urgency when God the Father brings forth the scroll that it is of utmost importance. Revelation foretells of the scroll being opened, and we know based on other Scripture that it is going to be opened at a certain time in history that only God the Father knows.

“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Mark 13:32

“But about that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. Matthew 24:36

We can also, through the Holy Spirit, come to the conclusion that only Christ can open the scroll.

Now, knowing only Jesus can open it, what is within this sacred scroll? How is so much importance seemingly placed on it?

It seems Daniel was not clear concerning it.

“But as for you, Daniel, keep these words secret and seal up the book until the end of time; many will roam about, and knowledge will increase…” But as for me, I heard but did not understand; so I said, “My lord, what will be the outcome of these events?” And he said, “Go your way, Daniel, for these words will be kept secret and sealed up until the end time. Many will be purged, cleansed, and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand.” Daniel 12:4,8-10

“Go your way, Daniel, for these words will be kept secret and sealed up until the end time…

Until God the Father hands that scroll to Christ, the words within it will “be kept secret and sealed up until the end time.”

“Many will be purged, cleansed, and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand….”

From a simplistic point of view, it seems the scroll being opened signifies the end is certainly at hand, and things will speed along quickly after its opening by Jesus.

But let us get back to Jesus.

“And I saw between the throne (with the four living creatures) and the elders a Lamb [Jesus Christ] standing, as if slaughtered, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. And [Jesus Christ] came and took the scroll out of the right hand of [God the Father] who sat on the throne.” Revelation 5:6-7

At some point Jesus our great High Priest and Savoir is going to take that scroll from God the Father’s hand!

When [Christ] takes that scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fall down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Here we see the four living creatures and the 24 elders bowing down, worshiping Christ, as they would God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. Other times within Revelation we will see elders and angels telling John not to bow down to them, for they are only created beings like us. However, here we see it acceptable to bow down to Jesus, God in the flesh in adoration and true worship. Let us emulate them and also continually bow down and worship our Rescuer inwardly, pushing outwardly!

Also I would be remiss if failed to closer examine the verse, “…twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints…” Revelation 5:8 This event is going to happen! Continue in prayer without ceasing. Father hears His children’s petitions through His Spirit living within them. By faith and Christ’s sacrifice, continually keep entering into His throne room with prayers church of Christ, through His precious blood! Here we see the saints prayers had filled the bowls the elders were holding! Hallelujah!

Let also our voices sing praises to our great God in Three! For the elders had harps they used to such an effect, as they worshiped and praised our ever living God.

“Sing praises to God, sing praises; Sing praises to our King, sing praises. For God is the King of all the earth;
Sing praises with a psalm of wisdom. God reigns over the nations, God sits on His holy throne.” Psalm 47:6-8

Coming back to the 24 elders we see it is written that “…they sang a new song, saying,” Revelation 5:9

“Worthy are You to take the scroll and to break its seals; for You were slaughtered, and You purchased people for God with Your blood from every tribe, language, people, and nation.” Revelation 5:9b

So true and precious; I admit to trying to sing it, but I don’t have the chords down yet. However, those who worship God in Three “must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24 It’s the spiritual act of worship that counts. I’d encourage you to sing this verse as praise to our risen Lord as you feel led.

“Worthy are you to take the scroll and to break its seals; for you were slaughtered, and You purchased people for God with your blood from every tribe, language, people, and nation. Oh, Worthy are you to take the scroll and to break its seals; for you were slaughtered, and You purchased people for God with your blood from every tribe, language, people, and nation.”

Worthy are you Jesus Christ! Let us always take time to worship and sing to our Triune God, For God in Three is worthy for us to spend time worshiping in spirit and in truth. Amen!

You have made them [us in Christ] into a kingdom and priests to our God, [God the Father] and they [those in Christ] will reign upon the earth.” Revelation 5:10

It looks like a part of the perfect plan all along was to make priests unto God the Father, through Jesus Christ, in Christ’s image. Who will underneath Christ, who is the head of all created things, reign upon the earth with Him!

As our beloved Apostle Peter told the brethren long ago, and through the Spirit, even to us in Christ now,

“…Coming to Him [Jesus] as to a living stone which has been rejected by people, but is choice and precious in the sight of God [the Father], you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices that are acceptable to God [the Father] through Jesus Christ. For this is contained in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a choice stone, a precious cornerstone, [Jesus Christ] And the one who believes in Him will not be put to shame.” This precious value, then, is for you who believe…” 1 Peter 1:4-7 “…you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him [God the Father] who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light“1 Peter 2:9 Again, “who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”

The scroll then when this event occurs is in Christ’s precious hands, the very same hands that were nail pierced for our transgressions. Behold the Lamb of God slaughtered and brought back to life, to bring forth a people to God the Father, cleansed and renewed from within! Such a renewal allows them to serve God the Father themselves as priests unto Him, even now. Continuing on lets move forward with the Apostle John.

“Then I looked, and I heard the voices of many angels around the throne and the living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands…” Revelation 5:11

“…and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands…” In earlier verses, John only mentions 24 elders in the throne room and 4 living creatures and yet, now we hear of a large number of angels. Perhaps these angels were present all along and just not mentioned, or perhaps they had just appeared as John writes of them here. At one time Christ said He could appeal to [His] Father, and He [would] at once put at [His] disposal more than twelve legions of angels” Matthew 26:53 A legion is 3,000 to 6,000 men in the ancient Roman army. Multiplied by 12 would be around 36000 to 72000 angels plus a multitude more all “saying with a loud voice…”

“Worthy is the Lamb that was slaughtered to receive power, wealth, wisdom, might, honor, glory, and blessing.” Revelation 5:11 Satan’s reign on earth, the curse and sin are all about to come to a close! Heaven is rejoicing! Hallelujah! Praise and glory to Christ Jesus! Things are about to move forward extremely quickly to bring about a new heaven and a new earth!

“[God the Father] made [Jesus] who knew no sin to be sin in our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in [Jesus]. 2 Corinthians 5:21 God the Father had and has a divine plan! It is a plan that shows us those abiding in Christ His love, mercy, and longsuffering. As the plan concludes it is also going to reveal to those who ignored Him His righteousness, justice, and holiness very clearly.

I believe there is some spiritual wisdom to be given in this upcoming section to all with ears to hear, concerning things to come.

Right before the first seal is opened by Christ Jesus the only one capable of opening it. It is written…

“And I heard every created thing which is in heaven, or on the earth, or under the earth, or on the sea, and all the things in them, saying…” Revelation 5:13

“To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be the blessing, the honor, the glory, and the dominion forever and ever.” Revelation 5:13

So before the first seal is opened. It is written that the apostle John heard… that “every created thing which is in heaven, or on the earth, or under the earth, or on the sea, and all the things in them…” will say “ “To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be the blessing, the honor, the glory, and the dominion forever and ever.” I believe, because the Word declares it!

“And the four living creatures were saying, “Amen” [or so be it] And the elders fell down and worshiped.” [Showing reverence and adoration to God the Father, and Christ Jesus, His only begotten son, the Savoir of God’s people.

On closing have you shown reverence and adoration to our great God in Three today? If not perhaps this song could help you as you seek Him today! For God in Three alone is worthy of our worship and reverence. He enjoys when we with clean hands praise and worship Him in spirit and truth. Might I suggest the classic hymn, How Great Thou Art written in 1885 by Carl Gustav Boberg?

Oh Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
How great Thou art, how great Thou art.

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing
He bled and died to take away my sin.