Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Alertness, Abide in Christ: Laodicea

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
billy1980

Tennesse-

Alertness, Abide in Christ: Laodicea

“The one who has [spiritual] ears to hear, let him hear.”

“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces, who call out to the other children, and say, ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a song of mourning, and you did not mourn.’ For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon!’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Behold, a gluttonous man and a heavy drinker, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ And yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.” Matthew 11:15-19

They called Jesus “a gluttonous man and a heavy drinker, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!” God Almighty came down from heaven took on flesh and the majority of church folk called Jesus a sinner!

Jesus Christ who all things were created through and for, said John the Baptist was a prophet, “but even more then a prophet! For among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! And if you are willing to accept it, [Christ explained] John himself is Elijah who was to come.” Matthew 11:7-14 Many church folk said instead that John the Baptist was demon possessed!

“If the world hates you, [Christ told and tells His disciples] keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, [like we used to] it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also…. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father as well.” John 15:18-23

They claimed God, were religious, having a form of Godliness, but obviously these church folk didn’t really know God. They spoke evil of John the Baptist, the greatest among old testament prophets, and even more importantly Christ Jesus Himself, true disciples of Christ’s are going to be spoken evil of as well. God the Father knows the truth, though; He who knows all things, knows the truth concerning me and you! He knows what we both did late last night and every day and night before, as well! He also knows who presents themselves continually through Christ’s sacrifice alone into His Holy Throne Room. He knows everything!

God the Father also knew about the church of Laodicea. He gave a revelation to Christ to give to John who gave it to a messenger to that church, and through the Spirit to us! He knew, He knows, I say to you. He told them:

“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. ‘Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked…” Revelation 3:15-17

There are many in Christendom who will limit the book of Revelation to the point in history in which it was written. Based on this they argue it’s sole purpose was to address the historical church of that time, and thus, not applicable for today. I can tell you that with every fiber of my being, I believe that we, the modern day church are not exempt from its teachings and warnings.

“A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. It is enough for the disciple that he may become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they insult the members of his household! “So do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. What I tell you in the darkness, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim on the housetops. And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Matthew 10:24-28

Church folks killed the prophets sent to them! Why? because God brought up prophets and gave them directions to tell God’s people to repent and turn back to God! Now those sent by God since, from apostles, prophets, teachers, pastors, and evangelists, have, at times, been killed, stoned, burned and even crucified by those in history who have stated they were church folk in Christ Jesus, as well! Some were even crucified, like our beloved Savoir, the only begotten Son of God, God in the flesh! Now, Christ, who was raised back alive, defeating death and all the powers of the enemy had a Word for the church in Laodicea from God the Father given to John to give to a messenger…

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Revelation 3:22

Again he who has a spiritual ear….. let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. Why, because the message has not changed! It’s gotten older, but it still brings forth life to all who will listen, heed, and obey.

Church of Laodicea, and he who has a spiritual ear understand, “I [Jesus Christ] advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. ‘Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.” Revelation 3:18-19

Break free of these lies you have been blinded by, you believe you are so great, but spiritually it is the very opposite of what you think! You think you are in a right standing with Me but you fail to see how you truly look spiritually. Do I go to far to say that in such spiritual blindness, others walking closely with Jesus at that time, and even now would had been and are slandered by those not abiding in Christ?

Let us, as we examine ourselves, heed the words of the Holy Spirit to the seven churches! They were meant for everyone with spiritual ears as well as the body of Christ at that time.

“For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, even penetrating as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him to whom we must answer.” Hebrews 4:12-13

Heeding the Word, the Truth, and the Light has caused the martyrdom of many a true servant of God over the centuries! Why, because many church folk do not want to repent, or even acknowledge they are in need of repentance. This can be traced all the way back to Cain. They don’t want to hear any more concerning their sins! Instead, they desire words of peace, and later after doing their own thing on earth, to move on to heaven! Oh, but those God calls, those He puts His Holy Spirit within, He gives a deep burning fire to, a great passion for His word within. The very life of Christ inwardly contained, coming outwardly from them church folk! Those with such a fire do not let any rest in their sins – God will not allow it! He will call them, break them, recreate them, fill them, direct them and then send them out in empowerment to call His church to repentance and back to Christ, back to their Bridegroom! It’s not the messenger’s message -it is God’s! He knows most will be ignored, and many will be slandered, and even that some will be killed, but His great compassion, long suffering, sacrificial love, mercy, and patience will have Him continually sending them out until His mercy Has reached its limit with humankind. After this, judgment commences, the end of the age pops up out of nowhere to those who would heed not His calls of repentance! They will face Him, Christ Jesus again at His Judgment Seat though.

Jesus’s Revelation to the Seven Churches and Us

Lets take a moment before we move on. Let’s remember that some kept their robes white through abiding continually in Jesus Christ within most of these churches, and there are some today who have done such. However there must be caution, alertness, and a continual abiding in Jesus! “Therefore [as the apostle Paul said] let the one who thinks he stands watch out that he does not fall.” 1 Corinthians 10:12 And again the apostle Paul reminds us saying, “Now these things happened [talking about the church folk throughout the Old Testament] as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they indeed craved them. Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: “The people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.” Nor are we to commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day. Nor are we to put the Lord to the test, as some of them did, and were killed by the snakes. Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were killed by the destroyer. Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.” 1 Corinthians 10:6-11 And with the Holy Spirits approval I tell you these things concerning the seven churches were written for our instruction as well! Thus we will move forth with the Apostle Peters’ warning who said, “You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unscrupulous people and lose your own firm commitment…” 2 Peter 3:17 Now let us knowing this seriously go over the seven churches, for the benefit of all naming the name of Jesus Christ!

To the Church in Ephesus and Us: Repent you’ve lost your first love, your devotion to Me, Jesus Christ!

“I have this against you, that you have left your first love”…remember from where you have fallen, and repent, and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and I will remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent..” Revelation 2:4-5

To the Church of Smyrna and Us: Persevere in Me, Jesus Christ even to the point of death!

“I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich), and the slander by those who say they are Jews, and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear what you are about to suffer…”Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.” Revelation 2:9-10b

To the Church of Pergamum and Us: Repent you have committed spiritual and physical sexual immorality, and have created a stumbling block before my other children!

“…repent; or else I am coming to you quickly, and I will wage war against them [those committing or condoning the false teachings] with the sword of My mouth…’To the one who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows except the one who receives it.’ Revelation 2:16-17b

To the Church of Thyatira and Us: Repent you are tolerating teachings of sexual and spiritual immorality contrary to the truth concerning Me and your earthly spouse! “I, Jesus Christ, will give to each one of you according to your deeds.”

"I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols." “...I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds.” “I say to you, the rest who are in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching… what you have, hold firmly until I come. The one who overcomes, and the one who keeps My deeds until the end, I will give him authority over the nations; and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of the potter are shattered, as I also have received authority from My Father; and I will give him the morning star.” Revelation 2:20, 22-23, 24-28

To the Church of Sardis and Us: Repent, wake up, revive what you still have left, and love not the world!

"Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. Remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent.” ‘…But you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. The one who overcomes will be clothed the same way, in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.” Revelation 3:2-6

To the Church of Philadelphia and Us: Persevere, continue forward!

“I am coming quickly; hold firmly to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.” Revelation 3:11

To the Church of Laodicea: Repent you are wretched, miserable, spiritually poor, spiritually blind, and spiritually naked!

“Those whom I love, I rebuke and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.” “Behold, I [Jesus Christ] stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. The one who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat with My Father on His throne. Revelation 3:19-21

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to [all] the churches.” Revelation 3:22

Concerning the boldness of my words, I look to Christ – He is my righteousness, and my cover before God the Father! It is through Christ’s blood I have forgiveness of sin and can go into God the Father’s Throne Room boldly, praying through the Holy Spirit! I have no access of myself to go to Him. I’m nothing outside of Him; He is everything! I do not expect or wish for anyone to think much of me. However anyone claiming to be a Christian certainly needs to think very highly of Christ and, if involved in any sin, repent! Repent as He has commanded those church folk long ago, and through His precious Holy Spirit, has called us to as well!

Some will say, “Let us continue on for now a little longer as we are,” or I’m fine, I’m no worse off then the others at church. Thinking, “when one really comes from God like Elijah, I will repent and get my life back in order.”

“God said to [a man, once, and has others since, and will say to more, perhaps some even reading this now] ‘You fool! This very night your soul is demanded of you; and as for all that you have prepared, who will own it now? Such is the one who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich in relation to God.” Luke 12:20-21 Oh I hear the church folk in Laodicea here! “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have no need of anything,” Revelation 3:17

“…just as it happened in the days of Noah, so will it also be in the days of the Son of Man: people were eating, they were drinking, they were marrying, and they were being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.” Luke 17:26-27

Even with the huge boat being built they kept looking downward onto the things of this fading world. So what’s the big deal with doing these things? Their minds were only on earthly things, and God was not first place in their lives. They were ignoring Him, ignoring His desires concerning them!

It was the same as happened in the days of Lot: “they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, and they were building; but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all.” Luke 17:28-29

Even with the uproar going on at Lot’s house before that night they kept on looking downward on the things of this fading world. No repentance, and seeking after the Creator of the heavens and the earth in repentance of their continual sin. They were just living to fulfill their own passions.

It will be just the same on the day that the Son of Man is revealed.” Luke 17:30

It will be so, even with God becoming flesh and opening up salvation for whosoever would repent and follow Christ. A prophetic word is not needed here; simply look around you. The majority of people in this world, even Christians, are going to continue focusing primarily on the things of this world, eating, drinking, marrying, selling, planting, and building. God will not be put first, and the majority will perish having continued looking downward at the world instead of seeking God through Christ Jesus in repentance and for eternal direction.

Stay Alert

“Be prepared, and keep your lamps lit. You are also to be like people who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door for him when he comes and knocks. Blessed are those slaves whom the master will find on the alert when he comes; truly I say to you, that he will prepare himself to serve, and have them recline at the table, and he will come up and serve them. Whether he comes in the second watch, or even in the third, and finds them so, blessed are those slaves.” Luke 12:35-38

Church folk! We do not know if we have until tomorrow to get right with God through Christ in repentance! Everyday in non repentance and disobedience before God is like playing Russian roulette with, not only our life on earth, but our spirit for all eternities to come! The blood spilled for our sin’s value bares a price range eternally uncountable.

Your life, your soul is worth more then all the gold in the world, and it is in great jeopardy at all times until repentance is sought and obedience is given back to Christ.

There is coming a day for you and I. I know not if it be tonight, a month from now, or years away, when we will be called to give an account which will be sealed for all eternities to come. God is not a respecter of persons thus those not found in Christ will go to the lake of fire! There will not be a fitting excuse when that hour comes if we are not in His will before that hour comes. If we are not in His will, not abiding in Him, that hour will take us by surprise as the God breathed scriptures have declared!

Now there were among the churches we have been meditating through some who had not sullen their clothes with the world around them! If this be not you, if you are playing with sin, playing with the world, placing your salvation on a prayer uttered long ago or a memory when you were true to Christ in the past, repent! Run to Christ or go back to abiding in Christ, or awaken back from the spirit of the world to Christ while He can still be sought for mercy! For mercy is not an everlasting thing, but will one day soon be spent and gone with only righteousness, holiness, and divine judgment put within the place mercy had once held!

Christ Jesus has warned us again through these seven church we have looked at through the Holy Spirit to those with spiritual ears to hear…

He knows our deeds, are we like Laodicea? “…neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have no need of anything,” and you do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked…” Revelation 3:15-17

If this be you, brethren, Jesus’s answer to you is “….to buy from [Him] gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to apply to your eyes so that you may see.” Revelations 3:18

“Those whom [Jesus loves], [He reproves] and [disciplines]; therefore be zealous and repent. ‘Behold, [Jesus] [stands] at the door and [knocks]; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. ‘He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” Revelation 3:19-21

Don’t look to the messenger. No, many have perished by focusing on the messenger, and yet, ignoring the message! Be a Berean, but go a step further and practice the truths you learn. Some have found out too late that the messages they ignored originated from The Triune God! Thus, their eyes should have turned to focus back on God, and getting right with Jesus Christ, but something just seemed to off about the one God choose to send their way. Or, perhaps their hearts were too cold to receive the message, or maybe they just kept looking downward unto the things of the world: eating, drinking, marrying, selling, planting, and building, instead of looking upward in repentance to God, through Christ Jesus.

“…be on your guard, so that your hearts will not be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life, and that this day will not come on you suddenly, like a trap; for it will come upon all those who live on the face of all the earth. But stay alert at all times, praying that you will have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.” Luke 21:34-36

2021/3/19 13:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy