SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Praying for what is necessary

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

It is similar to a question I've been pondering lately, too, oddly enough. Not exactly "should I ask for trials?", but "should I ask for" some other seeming necessities?

Boy, you think you've got things figured out until you learn the hard way that you don't. :)

Jesus' simple prayer says "Your will be done". If He wills trials, that includes trials. If He wills any other "good and perfect gift", that's included. I'm leaning these days to simple. I've outsmarted myself through prayer. Overthought it. Agonized and wore myself out with it. So, through several avenues, I'm starting to finally get this much: God doesn't need me to help Him with my prayers, and I do need Him to help me pray aright. I'm stripping down and asking fewer specifics. Maybe this is "a season" as they say -- I don't know. What I do know is I don't know much and He knows it all.

I've inadvertently walked into trials that I "prayed for" by asking for things I thought were solutions and weren't. I want exactly Jesus + Zero number of prescribed trials --- that goes for everything else.

2021/3/17 20:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Robert wrote:

/:In fact, then, you have prayed implicitly already for something that I think we can therefore pray explicitly for.//

You are correct about that. But if I know (and God knows) that my prayer to become more Christlike means I am willing to take my medicine to get there, why do I need to explicitly pray for a trial or persecution? Won’t He send what He thinks I need?

What if God does not think a trial is what is needed at this time? Maybe what is needed is a greater revelation of God’s love, or a deeper repentance, or a greater love for my neighbor?

In other words, when praying to be made more like Jesus, why not just leave the “how” to God? After all, He is the only one who truly knows what is needed.

2021/3/17 22:17Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

It isn’t commanded. My question is why wouldn’t we? The sincere answer for some can’t be because it is superfluous. That isn’t why we don’t. I think many people are slower to Christ likeness because they resist the cost. They aren’t impassioned to Christ likeness because they implicitly know the cost of it. Thus avoiding trials is more important than the outcome of those trials. The issue isn’t the propriety of praying for trials but rather the consideration of a cost/benefit analysis. Some will pay the cost of Christ but only if they are forced to rather than as a voluntary submission to it or even volunteering actively for it. Thus, offering ourselves as a living sacrifice becomes mere words that
actually don’t accurately reflect the stronger counter desire truly present in the heart.

2021/3/17 22:44Profile
passerby

Re:

...and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil...

Have anyone of you experienced what it is like to be in extreme persecution, dread, pain, distress, or mental troubles. Do you know what it is like to be stoned, whipped, or tortured?

Was it a joke when the apostle Paul was in extreme body sore after enduring intense physical violence.

Matt 26:39

And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

what do we pray when we remember our brothers who are now suffering persecution.

2021/3/17 23:13Profile
billy1980

Tennesse-

Re:

Passerby I pray for what our Father sees they need prayer concerning first. Then I’m praying for encouragement to come to them through the Holy Spirit.

2021/3/17 23:36Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Brother Passerby.

Not joking about the topic at all. Preparing God’s people for trial, sacrifice and suffering in advance of experiencing such things, including having the right understanding about and prayer life towards them, is what a majority of Jesus’s counsel and the apostles’ teaching was all about. Being ready for it before it happens is a big part of enduring it well when it happens. That’s the purpose of my post. As for my attitude about our brothers and sisters in the midst of these things, I actually live in such a place and minister to, weep with and pray with them face to face all the time.

2021/3/17 23:40Profile
passerby

Re:

Pardon me for being passionate in my post. When you are in those situations, it is as if the time ticks so slowly. It is very difficult when you are awake yet it is also difficult to sleep.

Then you may remember the songs you have learned from so long ago and with a faint strength hum them, whisper them over and over again:

...Be thou exalted
O God above the heavens
Let thy glory be above all the earth...

...I sing praises to your name O most High
I sing praises to your name O Holy One
For though art Holy and worthy to receive
praises, praises to thy name...

... You are my hiding place, you always fill my heart
with songs of deliverance whenever I am afraid
I will trust in you...

I am thankful for somebody like you who remember others in prayer and giving actual help or resources, as life can be so difficult at times.

2021/3/18 0:14Profile
passerby

Re:

I sing praises...link, an old song, if you can remember, but I think it was in a slower beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4oLHL4KCQ0

I cannot find the tune of Psalms 57:5 that I use to know but
here is an audio of Psalms 57:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYXyLWk_9E

It has been a big comfort to remember hymns in times of troubles.

2021/3/18 0:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

If I wanted to be a world class athlete and went to the best physical/dietary trainer for guidance, I would not show up with a list of the exercises I want to do and the food I want to eat. What I would say is “I am willing to do the physical training you tell me to do, regardless of how it racks my body, and I am willing to eat the diet you recommend, regardless of how much I may want a cinnamon bun.

I am not asking for the pain, but I am willing to endure what comes to reach my goal.

2021/3/18 8:26Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Todd, I appreciate the analogy but the Lord commanded us and invited to pray according to HIS Will. Further, if in wisdom through His Word, we know our need ( that is "what is necessary") then we would rightly pray for that need to be met. We know we need trials in order to be like Christ. That seems clear to me.

2021/3/18 8:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy