SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

[edited out some typos]

I wonder why does it say in the Heading "Revival and Church History?" Why not "Revival in the church today?" Is revival confined to sepia-colored photographs and the yellowish pages of classic books that speak of a glorious past?

Before I go into the topic of Acts 19:2, let me give you some background. I minister in a church where most of the church members come from a very strict evangelical Russian-German background. Men and women sat apart, head coverings, quiverful of children, tea-total, no TV, no internet, harsh church discipline for breaking rules. They usually live within their own circles. The older generation has endured persecution under Soviet rule. We have good and accurate bible teaching in our church, doctrinally correct but missing the fire of the Spirit.

There are many bible verses about that. In the Acts of the Apostles the baptism of the Holy Spirit is mentioned in many passages and occurrences. The apostles made sure that believers were filled with the Holy Spirit, and if not, they taught them and laid hands upon them. Aquila and Priscilla took Apollos aside and taught this great and learned preacher something he still lacked. What was it what the Samarian believers, Apollos, and the Ephesians in Acts 19 were still missing? The baptism of the Holy Spirit!.

This is a crucial question for me. I have been preaching 11 messages in our church about the Holy Spirit and preached that you should seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit after conversion. Most of our church members are perplexed to say the least and feel unsettled. There general believe is, you get the filling of the Holy Spirit at conversion and that settles it. There is no more to be expected, we have the complete word of God now and that is all there is.

I feel like trying to explain to fish that there is something above the water they know. I am praying for them and teaching them about it, but apart from one or two who became a bit curious, I have not been able to succeed in what the apostles did.

I wonder how can a church actually grow in grace and love and knowledge without having received the power from above? Are we not confined to just accurate teaching? Does it not become the letter that kills?
To the Jews Isaiah prophesied this passage, but are we not in danger to remain in the same deplorable state in present day churches?

Isa 28 9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

I had received a powerful baptism of the Holy Spirit after a powerful conversion. It was so simple. I had been delivered from deep sin, demons and depression many years back. After I repented and got delivered, they laid hands on me to receive the Holy Spirit. Nothing happened at first. After I went home, I prayed, Lord, whatever you have for me, I need it and I want it, give it to me, and the Spirit filled me with grace, love, power and holiness until I could take no more. It was beyond any description!
I read many books about men and women of God who had the same experience. No two encounters were the same, but all experienced something wonderful. Not all where Charismatics or Pentecostals. I see the work of the Holy Spirit all over the place in the works of Jonathan Goforth, Hudson Taylor, John Wesley, James O. Fraser, D.L.Moody, R.A. Torrey, A.B. Simpson, Samuel Chadwick, Ravenhill and of course A.W.Tozer and Andrew Murray to name just a few.

I cannot imagine that a church can function properly without the golden oil poured out from above. I feel preaching is hard work, like a car being pulled by a horse-cart. (This is what poor Americans actually did during the great depression, but now we have a spiritual great depression and poverty of the Spirit, don't we?)

I know the power of the Spirit, but what is it that it takes to set a church on fire? Perhaps a man on fire, and maybe here is the crux. How can I be so on fire that others can catch it? Does not dry wood catch fire? Cannot empty vessels be filled? Is there not the promise for the thirsty to have their thirst quenched?

2021/2/21 14:28Profile
brothagary

Re: Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

You're right brother it is a man on fire and now is a time, a season for separation of fasting and prayer even separating from ministry for a period of time until you get in indued with that power from on high, it's coming and it's touching people right now but you'll have to wait for a while if you don't seek it now, God said this season now is for fasting and praying and you won't feel that preaching his hard work after that when it comes upon you because the fire is coming as a revival Fire it's coming as a baptism of Fire but you don't want to wait for that, you want to be part of the ones that bring this 🔥. separate Yourself for a season and the season itself will separate you the season itself will sangctify you and lift you into a certain type of sanctification that you've never known and God will use you in a way that you've never been used, your words will be powerful, your words will become spirit and life the old man will die you'll recognise that he's dead and will have power over the old man to crucify the flesh and its passions and the Christ that lives in you, will come alive, the new man will do the work , 4 it is no longer us who live but christ who lives in us and he'll do the work you'll see conversions and baptisms of the holy spirit this will become common in your ministry but you must fast and pray and I dare say be quick to hear and slow to speak have a break from speaking for a period of time the lord will lead you into that and he will let you know how much time to have off and you'll be blessed,and recieve what it is that you asked for and what it is that you thirst for... Be blessed in the mighty name the powerful name of Jesus Christ through the spirit of Grace according to the promises of the father amen

2021/2/21 15:18Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re: Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

It seems odd to me that so many churches (including my own) emphasize speaking in tongues as the initial evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit. I personally think it's holiness and breaking the power of indwelling sin that is the initial evidence. I have known many people who think they speak in tongues but it looks to me like they speak made up gibberish, the same phrases over and over again. Besides, they don't live holy, set apart lives. I believe in tongues (and all of the gifts), but to me I want to see Jesus in the life of a believer. It seems inane to me that people who supposedly have the baptism can't even live like I do.

When I look at church history, I see person after person who was baptized with the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues. The earliest reference I can find after the Early Church era of people speaking in tongues is I believe John Wesley mentions a group of believers in France who spoke in tongues. It seems that gift lay largely dormant until the Azusa Street revival.

I hesitate to even say this on SI, but I do not have the baptism yet. It's almost like if I say that, everyone tries to convert me to their way of thinking (or tries to just plain convert me; some people think anyone that says that is unsaved). I definitely have the Holy Spirit; I feel God's presence, I love Jesus, I hate sin, my prayers are answered.

Some teach erroneously that believers who don't have the baptism don't have the Holy Spirit. I can't accept this. Scripture says, "But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him." Romans 8:9 I know God. I know I'm saved. Nobody can tell me different, not even Michael the archangel.

2021/2/21 15:47Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

You are very honest brother Nigel. Here is a question for you and others who read this:

If you believe that there is such a thing as the baptism of the Holy Spirit, do you think it is just an option or a must-have?
Would you want it if you can receive it?
Would you want to do away with anything that hinders you from receiving it?
Would you be willing to accept any gift He bestows to you?
Are you willing to bear the reproach that comes with it?

2021/2/21 16:24Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

It's a must have. I want whatever Jesus has for me. I won't let anything stand in the way of me getting it. And yes, I will bear the reproach.

To be honest I've seen what other believers call the baptism with the Holy Spirit and I don't want it. I want what the apostle Paul, John Wesley, Leonard Ravenhill, Charles Spurgeon etc had.

2021/2/21 16:51Profile
billy1980

Tennesse

Re:

Hello brothers,

I was at work years and years ago and had been seeking the baptism of fire! At conversion all my habitual sins were dropped liked handcuffes off my wrist. At work one night on break the Holy Spirit came upon me and I received a prayer language. With respect I must say it is not the same as what I have heard in some Pentecostal churches I have visited. (Added months before I received the prayer language at work, the precious lady that had led me to Christ was bringing me to different churches to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Funny though He chose to wait till I was at work to visit me, while on break, with no one around! This is not a cookie cutter Christianity. He can’t be put in a box. God does things differently concerning His children, as He pleases.)

I believe we are each given different Gifts in the body of Christ, as scripture states , and Jesus never spoke in tongues, that we know of. A prayer language is just one of many gifts spread out across the body to build up the body of Christ, for Christ glory!

Bottom line, I have surrendered my whole person to God, last night again seeking His Holy Spirit to have full control of me. Brother Kieth Daniel had a wonderful sermon on this full submission to the Holy Spirit. If I find it I will put it down. I want to know my Savior as close as possible, and not waste whatever time I have left before I’m took home! I have threw many things out of my life to make more time to be with Him, and meditate on His word, as I had done when I first met Him. Revelation 2:4

I’m not giving Satan an inch anymore! My time is precious and only Jesus deserves it! Not the spirit of the world! A full sacrifice of self is called for, and I have been crushing any possible idols through His grace and mercy, and His opening my blind eyes to them! That He can have all of me! Whatever He chooses to do with me! Even if it’s a concentration camp were He uses me to point others to Himself! He is worthy, I am undeserving. Sorry if I’m coming off angry, I’m not, but Satan is not going to take my time with the spirit of this world any longer!

I encourage you brother seek Him, smash anything not of Him and let us move on in Christ Jesus!

2021/2/21 17:32Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Jesus has given us the free gift of the Holy Spirit to receive, so that we would have power to be His witnesses.

The Holy Spirit abides within every true believer, but not all have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, which is the empowerment to every believer to fulfill the ministry that all have been given.

This infilling Of the Holy Spirit is not a one time experience, but we need to be filled with fresh oil continuously.

"The Holy Spirit falls on believers to clothe them with the Lord's power in being witnesses and to manifest the gifts of the Spirit. In this way, we are equipped with talent to work for God, and power to accomplish His will.
(Communion of the Holy Spirit) by Watchman Nee.

"The Work of the Holy Spirit within man is for life and living, enabling us to bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit. The work of the Holy Spirit upon man is for witness and service, causing us to manifest spiritual gifts."
(Communion of the Holy Spirit) by Watchman Nee.

2021/2/22 8:34Profile
passerby

Re:

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Pursue after the Lord, not the mere concept of holiness, when you realized at last your utter depravity, the seal of our inheritance in Christ will work mightily, filling you with grace, the sweet grace of His presence and power.

2021/2/22 9:31Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Jesus has given us the free gift of the Holy Spirit to receive, so that we would have power to be His witnesses.

The Holy Spirit abides within every true believer, but not all have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, which is the empowerment to every believer to fulfill the ministry that all have been given.

This infilling Of the Holy Spirit is not a one time experience, but we need to be filled with fresh oil continuously.

This is my understanding and personal experience as well.

I beleive I received the Holy Spirit when I was born again from a Hindu belief. I had holy Spirit to convict me of sin and to bring repentance and belief in Jesus name. But I was still powerless to testify Jesus boldly, powerless to fight against sin, I was still defeated.
But there was a particular night in which the Lord met with me to baptize in the Holy Spirit. From that time I received power to be His witness. Bible became a different book, love of God was poured into my heart.

Now regarding the experience with the Church that the original post was talking about, I have been in the same place, I too felt I was leading a dry group of people. I was becoming restless in my burden for the Church. But with time everything changed. Church is the bride of Christ and Christ knows how to purify his bride. As a minister in the Church, we need to synch our burdens with that in Christ's heart. We need to trust in Christ to purify his Bride to make her ready for Him. He will do it, if we are willing to do our work in his Body.

2021/2/22 20:27Profile
havok20x

Re:

This topic has been on my mind lately.

I am a reformed baptist of sorts, but my roots are slightly charismatic. From what I have gathered in Scripture, being filled with the Spirit should be continuous. Of course you can NOT be filled, but it should be something that happens multiple times at least or all the time at best.

Now that I say that. I have prayed a thousand different ways, asking God to fill me with the Spirit. But how do I know it has happened?

I look at my own life and am deeply frustrated with the discrepancy of what I want to be against what I am. I see the struggle I have with sin, with boldness, with usefulness to the Kingdom. I know I am called to be a missionary, but what kind of believers am I going to replicate? One's like me? That'd be pretty sorry.

So I think to myself, "maybe I am missing being filled with the Spirit." But no matter what I pray or what I say or what I do, I only ever change by degrees.

Am I closer to the Lord today than I was 10 years ago? Absolutely. Am I where I want to be? Not by a long shot.

I crave to be used by God. I don't care if anyone even notices. And all the while I think, "maybe I am missing being filled with the Spirit." God said he would withhold no good thing. He said that if I ask to be filled He would do it. Well if the deficiency isn't in God, then it is in me, but yet I cannot articulate what I am doing incorrectly.

Just rambling, but that's what I go through when I think about this stuff. It's a conundrum that I cannot solve. I can't deny what I see in the Scripture regarding being filled with the Spirit. And God knows that I am powerless to flip the switch to ramp up my boldness/holiness/etc. So what gives? What's the problem with me?

2021/2/22 22:08Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy