See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : In Christ Alone lyrics

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
reformer

In Christ Alone lyrics

Morning!

I need some counsel on how to handle something that raised a concern. I felt I should email my pastor about worship service, not sure if that's the wise thing. Not to be critical but a question about why they didn't sing the lyrics in the hymn Christ alone. They skipped this portion and read a some verses in Colossians , which didn't have nothing to do with that hymn. these lyrics were left out

In Christ alone! - who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.

the next lyric is "There in the ground His body lay," I know there is a movement to remove the part "wrath of God was satisfied" by many progressive and emergent churches. My guess this wasn't an accidentent but intentional. why that section of lyrics? I'm not sure if its wise to ask the pastor why that portion wasn't sung? I've had some concerns in the past with some of the preaching but overlooked it maybe my standards are just to high. It just raises concerns for me and not sure how to handle it.

thank you

2021/2/15 8:44Profile
Kerygma1975

Re: In Christ Alone lyrics

Reformer,

As one in full-time ministry and interacting with many pastors, with sadness I say you are correct in that many chose to leave this section out. They feel it is offensive or too heavy for the everyday listener. If, and a BIG if, they are removing this section for such reasons, they are displaying something that is disconnected from their theology. As a member of the congregation, you have every right to politely ask to meet the pastor, and ask for a justification for this. I would not argue, but listen, ask direct questions to get the clarity you need.

Praying for you,
S

2021/2/15 8:56Profile
havok20x

Reformer,

I would encourage you to speak with the one who was leading the song first before you do anything else (think Matthew 18).

There is a possibility that there was a time constraint and they chose to leave out that verse (although that isn't a wise decision, in my opinion). I would simply ask your worship leader to address your concern. Let us pray that it was done in innocence.

If you go directly to the pastor, he will give you an answer from his perspective, most likely, which still will be lacking in direct reasoning of the one who made the call. He may be compelled to go speak to the worship leader. But now you've involved the pastor and the worship leader may feel attacked or jump on the defense, even if he is innocent. Give him the benefit of the doubt and go directly to him first.

Also, don't send an email. Speak with them face to face.

2021/2/15 10:53Profile
Kerygma1975

Re:

havok20x,

You bring up a good point that I overlooked. Agree - go to the worship leader first. As the lead teaching elder at the church I am in, all music needs to be run by me prior to Sunday morning. If the situation was facing me - I would have the opportunity to ask the music team and possibly correct or turn the decision around.

In His Grace,
S

2021/2/15 11:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

No single model of the atonement can be a measure of what is “orthodox.”

There are various views on the atonement, and perhaps no one is perfectly correct. Likely the correct view, if there is one, is a combination of several.

2021/2/15 12:01Profile
havok20x

Re:

While I would love to discuss the atonement, this probably isn't the right thread for it. I can immediately see this descending into one of those endless debates lol!

2021/2/15 12:02Profile
havok20x

Re:

TMK,

I did set up a discussion thread about the atonement so we can enjoy a discussion of it there.

Hopefully the way the OP is worded will provide a great environment for discussion among believers.

2021/2/15 12:09Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

edited and move to topic "atonement"

2021/2/15 12:56Profile
havok20x

Re:

narrowpath, do you mind moving your response the the Atonement thread to discuss it there. The brother here is merely looking for council on how to handle the situation.

Thanks!

2021/2/15 13:15Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

will do, brother.

2021/2/15 13:16Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy