SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Interesting topic - How you pray?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TorontoDan

Interesting topic - How you pray?

As prayer is just as important for growth in Christ Jesus as is reading scripture, trials and other parts of our walk. As I know many Christians struggle with prayer, I will share what has been a blessing in my walk.

I always walk when I pray. I cannot pray kneeling or sitting down otherwise I will pass out.

At the start of all my prayers I ask the Holy Spirit to direct my prayers, to reveal wisdom and knowledge. I ask the Holy Spirit to remove all thoughts from my mind and feelings/desires from my heart. Then from there the Holy Spirit leads me into praise of God, and/or with meditation on the word of God. Its not until later that I ask for blessings upon myself and others, or temporal needs. I never suffer from wandering thoughts. And I find this mode of prayer to bring much enjoyment and many many revelations from God.

I should add that always always at the start of prayer, I ask the Holy Spirit to convict my heart and bring me to repentance for any sin. As you may be aware, should you ever find it difficult to pray or you don't desire to pray, one of the reasons may be unconfessed sin.

2021/2/10 0:17Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:Dan

Dan said:

Quote:
As prayer is just as important for growth in Christ Jesus as is reading scripture, trials and other parts of our walk.

You are correct Dan, Prayer is very important, when in Prayer, we are talking to the Lord. I may be lacking in some aspects of my walk, but Prayer is not one of them, I love to Pray, and not just Pray, I love talking to the Lord all throughout my day.

"I always walk when I pray. I cannot pray kneeling or sitting down otherwise I will pass out."

Dan, Prayer is a wonderful gift that God has given to us His children in order to be able to develop a relationship with Him. Jesus taught us some basic steps in how we are to pray. (Luke 11:1–13) He didn’t say anything about kneeling, sitting, standing or running, swimming, flying in a plane or laying on a bed. He did tell us to pray!

When we pray, we are authorized to speak directly to the Father (John 16:23–24) in Jesus’ Name, even if we are standing on our heads.

The act of closing your eyes and putting your hands together, placing a mat and facing east, or raising your face to the heavens are all about accessing that connection to train you to pray when you need it, to condition you to that method of thought. If you can pray without those training wheels, you don’t need those either.

I guess the idea that you have to be in a special attitude or position comes from the teachings of certain historical church cultures.

2021/2/10 8:44Profile
TorontoDan

Re:

Oh Bill, I did not mean it in that way at all brother.

It's good though you love to pray. I hope you do and have been keeping all your brothers and sisters on this site in your prayers.

That we should pray that God prepares the soil of each of their hearts to receive the word they read each day. That the Holy Spirit convict them of their sins, lead them into repentance and forgiveness and cleansing. That the Holy Spirit should teach each one of them in wisdom, knowledge and revelation of His will.

Take care brother Bill.

2021/2/10 9:40Profile
havok20x

Re:

Something I have done for a number of years is divide the Lord's prayer into 7 parts. Each day gets a particular part. I also keep a couple of lists of things that I am praying for on certain days (sometimes general topics and sometimes specific things). I also have a list of things that are pertinent and I pray for each day.

It definitely helps me keep on track and focused, as I never aimlessly do anything well.

2021/2/10 11:15Profile
passerby

Re:

Reading the Old Testament again and again can give assistance, spiritual insight, or guidance on prayer. It will make you pray, than provide you a formula or theological or academic definition of prayer.

2021/2/10 12:41Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Dan

Dan, I don't know if you took my reply wrong or what, but I'm in agreement with you, and everything you said. :-)

2021/2/10 16:00Profile
TorontoDan

Re:

Yes Bill, I misread :)

It's better I stay quiet anyways. I've come to learn that God never misunderstands and He always works it in us perfectly!

2021/2/10 17:17Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy