SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is repentance?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

What is repentance?

In your own words describe what repentance is.

I believe there are many christians who do not understand its true meaning.

2021/2/9 12:28
Platy

Re: What is repentance?

Ok this is my last post for the day. I been posting too much. It's a change of mind with the fruit/evidence of turning from sin to God. A change of mind without turning is like false grace. On the other hand a turning without a change of mind is like works of the flesh. Just my two cents.

The latter probably was Bill's concern in the bible reading post. A pressured repentance.

2021/2/9 13:13Profile

Re:

I will just add what repentance is not. It is not the vow or promise to God that we will not sin anymore. Because we have no control in ourselves to stop sinning.

Repentance is a work of God in our hearts. It is a remorse/regret bestowed in our heart for a sin we have been convicted of by His Holy Spirit. Further to this, it is the desire to be freed from this sin.

God does all of the following:
1. He convicts us of sin
2. He brings us to repentance
3. He forgives our sin (cleans our guilty conscience, remembers the sin no more, removes punishment for the sin)
4. He cleanses our heart and mind from the sin (frees us from being controlled by the sin)
5. He mortifies sin in the body and soul (keeps us from future sin of this type)
6. Sanctifies us in Christ Jesus

It is all by His grace (all a work of God). This is why we can pray that God convicts, brings to repentance, forgives, cleanses, mortifies and sanctifies a believer or non believer, and God will do the work in that persons heart without us ever even speaking a word to that person. Salvation, the entire work, is by the grace of God.

2021/2/9 14:09
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

“Repentance does not cause a sense of sin— it causes a sense of inexpressible unworthiness. When I repent, I realize that I am absolutely helpless, and I know that through and through I am not worthy even to carry His sandals. Have I repented like that, or do I have a lingering thought of possibly trying to defend my actions? The reason God cannot come into my life is that I am not at the point of complete repentance.”

~~ Oswald Chambers

2021/2/9 15:30Profile
brothagary

Re:

Amens!

2021/2/9 22:53Profile
brothagary

Re:

I cant add anything to that .....just a verse ..... 23But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. 24And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.
man doesn't have it in himself to repent when he wants, it's not of him who will nor him who runs but of God who shows mercy..or two

2021/2/9 22:59Profile

Re:

Amen brother Gary.

2021/2/9 23:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy