SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many people have read the bible the whole way through & how many times

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
TorontoDan

Re:

The bible is a pointer to God. Jesus came that we may know God. If we read the bible, but do not know God, it will benefit us very little. God does not test our bible knowledge, He tests our faith. And let us be reminded, the early non jewish christians had no bible.

2021/2/8 18:41Profile
Platy

Re:

I like the King James Version but use others helps as needed.

TorontoDan I support a deliverance ministry and they use the same logic that the early christians had no bible.

Here is the answer to that:
2 Timothy 3:14-17 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Paul is telling Timothy that from a child he knew the holy scriptures. That means he had the old testament part of it. The new testament was being written but keep in mind the early christians had the actual apostles themselves. Once the apostles were gone the church was forced to collect the new testament writings and compile them together.

2021/2/8 18:53Profile
Platy

Re:

Basically the old testament = the prophets (also priests, kings, and other leaders but mainly the prophets).

The new testament = the apostles (and their associates).

See below verses:
2 Peter 3:1-2 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

Peter is saying being mindful of the old testament and the new testament. We don't have the old testament prophets and the new testament apostles with us physically but we have their words which is the same.

2021/2/8 19:01Profile
Platy

Re:

When you hear the argument that such and such didn't have a bible its because they had the actual messengers themselves with them. We don't so we need the bible.

2021/2/8 19:02Profile
TorontoDan

Re:

Platy...the only point is that the purpose of the Bible is to reveal God to us. So if we read it and do not know God, it is useless.

Not a single christian here would have read the bible more than a pharisee would have read the old scriptures. And yet the old scriptures profited the pharisees absolutely nothing. Because they could not even discern the signs of Christ's coming.

2021/2/8 19:03Profile
Platy

Re:

Its through the bible you know God. We cannot separate the written word from the Spirit.

John 6:63
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

I hope I used that verse in its right context.

2021/2/8 19:05Profile
TorontoDan

Re:

In fact, many so called christians (in name only) read the bible and pray each day, and are not believers.

These are religious people, who believe works save.

2021/2/8 19:05Profile
Platy

Re:

I agree bible reading itself is not the answer. You have to meditate on it. Moreover you have to read it coupled with faith.

2021/2/8 19:07Profile
Platy

Re:

I agree with you spiritual things can end up becoming a routine and dead.

2021/2/8 19:09Profile
TorontoDan

Re:

Amen, I agree with you Platy.

2021/2/8 19:10Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy