Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Good sermons Vs bad sermons

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

One of my favorite sermons is "The Precious Blood, Our Only Hope" by A. W. Tozer. "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" is essential for all believers, in my opinion. "Run For Your Life" by Carter Conlon is another one I really like. Anything by Leonard Ravenhill.

Bad sermons? Well, speaking from personal experience, all the churches in my city are completely dead, and I can't stand to be in them; so any sermon in those churches. I really am not trying to be critical and fault-finding, but I don't find Jesus present in any of them.

2021/2/8 18:47Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Havok, I remember fireonthealtar! There were some great sermon jams on there. In fact, one of the means that God used to awaken me and convict me of sin was the Revival Hymn. Two christians I knew years ago were instrumental in my life; one gave me a Bible, and the other gave me some compilations and Keith Green's biography.

2021/2/8 18:51Profile

Re:

"Bad sermons? Well, speaking from personal experience, all the churches in my city are completely dead, and I can't stand to be in them; so any sermon in those churches."

I hear you brother, I would not be surprised if this is the case for most of us.

2021/2/8 18:54
billy1980

Tennesse-

Re:

Bad sermons: Are sermons I cannot feel inwardly God’s empowering Spirit discharging fourth from within the individual preaching.

Art Katz, Tozer, Leonard Ravenhill, Zac Poonen, D.L Moody, Paul Washer, A.B Simpson, Sandeep Poonen, Paris and A host of others have the Spirit’s empowering within their writings and messages. I can feel the difference inwardly within my spirit.

Sadly their are many without this heavenly empowerment to preach the very Words of God as the Spirit directs. It is the Spirit of God that makes a sermon good, and it is the Lack of the Holy Spirit’s empowerment and direction that makes a sermon bad.

2021/2/8 21:21Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I think the worse thing is when a pastor does not pick up a bible and it all about them

Terrible sermons are people like Bill Johnson or Steven Furtick

2021/2/9 16:00Profile
Kerygma1975

Re:

TorontoDan,

You said "Bad sermons? Well, speaking from personal experience, all the churches in my city are completely dead, and I can't stand to be in them; so any sermon in those churches."

I know for a fact, there are many Spirit-Filled, solid, Biblical churches within the city of Toronto - so saying "All" is false and needs backing up or perhaps you live in a different city - if so which one? And can you back it up for that location?

S

2021/2/21 19:18Profile
passerby

Re:

A teacheable heart can learn wisdom and contrition even from child stories.

2021/2/22 3:09Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Hebrews 13:9
Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them

Acts 2:42
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Romans 16:17
Avoid Divisive Persons
Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.

1 Timothy 4:1
The Great Apostasy
Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons

Pastor need to preach sound doctrine

Titus 1
Qualified Elders

5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should (E)set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you— 6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, (F)having faithful children not accused of [b]dissipation or insubordination. 7 For a [c]bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, (G)not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, 8 but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

1 Timothy 3:1-3
New King James Version
Qualifications of Overseers

3 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a [a]bishop, he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not [b]given to wine, not violent, [c]not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not [d]covetous;

Pastors should preach sound doctrine

2021/2/23 15:28Profile
Kerygma1975

Re:

All this is true - but clarifying terms is important as many throw these verses around but really mean- sound doctrine is what I deem correct - more than sound doctrine is being orthodox.

2021/2/24 12:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy