SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : It is IMPERATIVE we understand

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

It is IMPERATIVE we understand

Discourse with other believers about the dynamic truths of the gospel often lead us to a "Berean" type searching of the scriptures to see if something we have heard is true.

Recently, I experienced this compelling to search the scriptures. The discussion involved the dynamics for the believer that arise out of our "position" in Christ.

I was emailed a paper that set forth 33 truths found in scriptures relating to our position in Christ. Most of these truths the author set forth are wonderfully encouraging and causes for rejoicing. However, a few of the truths as he set them forth caused me to hesitate. My first response was to disagree and I indicated this to the person who emailed me the article.

Then I began to ponder in my heart why I was troubled. The response I received from the other party also prompted me, because he mistook my concern and generalized my position by a sadly too common divide among Christian brothers. I am not a _______________ or an _________________. I simply read the scriptures and ask the Lord to give me understanding of them. I do not claim any man in the past as the origin of my understanding. If I misunderstand something, it is because I got it wrong all by myself - not because I am one of ___________ or ____________.

This is one of the wonderful benefits of wholesome dialogue. I was stirred in my spirit to do some Berean style investigating. I know that I am not immune to the carnal response of proof-texting to support my own conclusion. But thankfully experience is there to remind me how many times I have found the dead end at that attempt.

OK. To the point. Here is what I discovered in my investigation.

In Colossians, after finishing his discourse on the wonderful "positional" truths we all enjoy "IN" Christ, Paul follows with 17 Imperatives (commands to the reader). Here is the apostle who gives the greatest details of our IN Christ position and yet what flows from his heart is 17 Imperatives - calls to take action.

I sensed in my spirit that if this was the way Paul processed "positional" truth, then his other letters would contain the same pattern. Sure enough in Ephesians, after finishing his discourse on our being "IN" Christ Jesus, he follows with 26 Imperatives - calls to take action."

Seeing Paul join Imperative after Imperative with the beautiful truths of our position in Christ made my heart rejoice and comforted me.

Our position IN Christ is a call to take action.

mak

2021/1/23 16:19Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: It is IMPERATIVE we understand

Very well shared!

2021/1/23 16:46Profile
deogloria

Re:

Thank you mak for another important study !
" I simply read the scriptures and ask the Lord to give me understanding of them. I do not claim any man in the past as the origin of my understanding. "
In your recent study you also wrote:
"It needs "a "Berean" type searching of the scriptures to see if something we have heard is true."
I'm glad to see such thorough studies, I'm now reading the Scriptures again with a fresh understanding.
To understand the Word of God is most important, especially in the times we live in now.

"Our position IN Christ is a call to take action."
How would you briefly summarise the "call to action " ?

2021/1/27 15:22Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

I would summarize the call to action to be we are to show the holiness of His great Name through our grace transformed character and conduct.
This was the Lord’s stated purpose of the New Covenant.

We are to display the quality of His workmanship.

Mak

2021/1/27 16:34Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Hi Mak, Perhaps it would be important to add that we are as His supreme priority to display the quality of his Son which is also the quality of Himself ? I don't mean to challenge but to perhaps reword a little.

2021/1/28 5:02Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Yes - exactly - thank you

Mak

2021/1/28 5:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy