SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Maintaining a Healthy Restraint

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

Maintaining a Healthy Restraint

Dear brothers and sisters, these words from Paul so spoke to my heart that I felt compelled to offer them to those here on the forum. They come from his letter to Rome.

For I say through the grace given to me to all being among you, not to process internally beyond what is necessary to process, but to process internally unto a safe internal process, just as to each one God has given a measure of faith. For just as one body has many members, and all the members do not have the same practice, so the many are one body in Christ and are members of one another having gifts according to the grace given to us differing.

The Greek word "Phroneo" describes the internal operating system that develops within a man to govern the way he thinks and acts. It is a mind frame we develop that governs the way we live that is acquired through study, meditation, discipline, experience etc.

Paul foresaw a danger of relying to much upon our own personal mindset. Giving to much weight to how we have come to process things tends to cause conflict when we encounter another member of the body of Christ who does not process things the way we have learned ourselves. The more confidence we place in our own internal processing, the more we tend to measure and judge other members of the body through our own internal processing.

Paul warned that giving to much weight to our own way of processing that we have developed will lead to conflict within the body of Christ. I have been guilty of this too many times to have any stones to throw at anyone but myself. If it were not for the mercy of God that forgives and covers multitudes of sin, I would not have hope or any ministry to His body.

The glimpse into Paul's heart and mind was so encouraging and convicting, that I simply wanted to share it with those who I trust would benefit from this grace with me.

mak

2020/12/29 8:18Profile
brothagary

Re: Maintaining a Healthy Restraint

Hey, mac what translation are you using brother , I can't find it anywhere, I look at over 40 translation, and not find the one you are using there.

2020/12/29 18:45Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

I am translating from my own understanding of the Greek text.

If you go to Bible Hub and use the inter linear section, you will be able to click on the Strong’s number which opens the link to the Greek word study.

This is where I have drawn my understanding of the “phronimos” Greek word family.

phronéō (from 5424 /phrḗn, "the midriff or diaphragm; the parts around the heart," J. Thayer) – properly, regulate (moderate) from within, as inner-perspective (insight) shows itself in corresponding, outward behavior. 5426 (phronéō) essentially equates to personal opinion fleshing itself out in action (see J. Thayer). This idea is difficult to translate into English because it combines the visceral and cognitive aspects of thinking.

I hope this helps

2020/12/29 19:44Profile
brothagary

Re:

I think I went to the hub and that where I looked at
about 40 translation, do you think they are all wrong.

2020/12/29 20:51Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: I think I went to the hub and that where I looked at
about 40 translation, do you think they are all wrong.

Paul foresaw a danger of relying to much upon our own personal mindset.

2020/12/30 2:34Profile
brothagary

Re: Maintaining a Healthy Restraint

I think you actually go passed whats written, with that translation, the mind of the flesh is where highminded thoughts come from, Paul is clearly exhorting the believes to not fall into pride by thinking higher of ones self like thinking you might be a prophet when truly you are a novice in spiritual matters .. we are to completely mortify the evil thoughts, we are not to give any weight what so ever to the flesh and its inclinations. What your saying there is not what the apostle
was teaching in that verse,and 40 or more translators agree with me on that .

have another look at the verses brother

2020/12/30 19:55Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy