SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : German Lutherian State church pastor convicted of sedition

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

German Lutherian State church pastor convicted of sedition

Olaf Latzel convicted of sedition
11/25/2020

This is a rather crude Google translation and not quite new, but nevertheless sent a shockwave through evangelical circles in Germany.

Bremen (idea) - The Bremen District Court has sentenced the pastor of the Bremen St. Martini congregation, Olaf Latzel, to a fine of 90 daily rates of 90 euros each for sedition. It has been proven that he intentionally incited hatred against homosexuals, said judge Ellen Best in her verdict.

In a “marriage seminar” of his community, which was published on YouTube, Latzel had described homosexuality as a “degenerative form of society” and said: “These criminals are everywhere from Christopher Street Day.” He also said: “The whole Gender filth is an attack on God's order of creation. "

With these statements, he had made an emotional mood against homosexuals and violated their human dignity, said the judge.

Judge: "Homosexuality is inconceivable without people"

Latzel presented homosexuality as a threat that must be defended against. In doing so, he suggested that homosexuals should not be viewed as equal members of society. The fact that he called the participants on Christopher Street Day criminals can be understood as an invitation to "take action against them".

His statement that he differentiates between homosexuality, which he rejects, and homosexuals, whom he respects as human beings, is incomprehensible. "Homosexuality without people is inconceivable," said the judge. The sexual orientation is part of a person and defines his personality.

Regarding the amount of the sentence, the judge stated that she remained “at the very bottom” of what could be imposed if convicted of sedition. The conviction will not appear in Latzel's certificate of good conduct.

Defense attorney announces appeal

Latzel's defense attorney Sascha Böttner announced that he would appeal against the judgment. The judge's verdict is a “catastrophe” and could become a “gateway to restrict freedom of expression”. It doesn't just affect Christians. According to the standards applied by the court, non-Christian minority opinions could also be prosecuted in the future. During the trial, Böttner had stated that the pastor did not mean generally homosexual people with the term “criminal”, but rather militant aggressors who, among other things, smeared the St. Martini Church with blasphemous slogans.

Latzel also said that “at no point did Latzel describe people as' gender filth”, but merely expressed criticism of a political trend that propagated gender ideology.

In addition, Latzel assumed that the recording of his lecture should not be published. It was only put on the Internet by a parishioner six months later.

Bremen Church advises on the continuation of the disciplinary proceedings

The secretary of the Bremen Evangelical Church (BEK), Pastor Bernd Kuschnerus, said of the judgment: "I am deeply affected that a pastor of our church has been convicted of sedition." The statements on which the conviction is based are unacceptable and damaged the reputation of the whole church.

The church committee of the BEK will deal with the outcome of the process in its meeting on December 10th. The panel will then decide on the continuation of the disciplinary proceedings against Latzel. It was temporarily suspended to await the outcome of the trial.

Conference of Confessing Communities: Political Judgment

The chairman of the Conference of Confessing Communities in the Protestant Churches in Germany, Pastor Ulrich Rüß (Hamburg), stated in a statement that the court's decision was “a political judgment in a political process”. Since Latzel had apologized for his crude choice of words and the statements were not intended for the public, the judge's verdict had "less to do with sedition than with the will to make an example of Olaf Latzel".

2020/12/17 14:17Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: German Lutherian State church pastor convicted of sedition

Narrowpath,

I don't know much about Germany's freedom of speech except from occasional reports like this. Praying for this pastor's freedom and vindication before the law.

A question arises, though, for me. Let me say this: I can be hot-tempered. I can say something emotionally and not rationally, especially on things that move me most deeply. I would prefer that this part of me be put to death, crucified. I invariably call it forth like Lazarus, though. So, I FEEL what this pastor said in large part.

Having said that, here's my question. Do we too easily walk into the traps set for us by the world's powers? I think we do.

Again -- I feel what he said. But, we can be as truthful and emphatic without engaging in diatribe. I wonder if our witness is made less powerful when we try to assist the truth with the steam of our emotional release valves.

I don't accuse this pastor of acting from self or flesh, but I do think we can ask for unhelpful kinds of trouble if we add too much salt to His light.

Does that make sense? LOL

2020/12/17 23:32Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Hi Dolphan,

I heard that the church has been subject to constant harassment and provocation by LGBTQ activist.

I think he "snapped" at some point and went a bit over the top with his statement. A slightly more composed choice of words could have kept him out of trouble I guess.

Who among us is able to keep his spirit under control without fail? Even Paul snapped once when beaten by the high priest.

James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

2020/12/18 11:45Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I fully agree. As I said -- "me, too." :)

I hope to learn something from his experience to shape my own approach to these things. We need wisdom ahead. And patience. Rev. 14:12.

2020/12/18 13:16Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy