Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Union and Communion

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

Union and Communion

“Union and Communion or Thoughts on the Song of Solomon” by Hudson Taylor (1832-1905, founder of the China Inland Mission) is a blessing to me.

I would like to post excerpts from this book in this thread.

This book is available here on Sermonindex:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/bible_books/?view=book&book=541

In the secret of His presence
How my soul delights to hide!
Oh, how precious are the lessons
Which I learn at JESUS' side!
Earthly cares can never vex me,
Neither trials lay me low;
For when Satan comes to vex me,
To the secret place I go!

--- Ellen Lakshmi Goreh (1853 – 1937)

2020/10/22 7:36Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Union and Communion

SONG OF SONGS 1:1 –
The Song of Songs, which is Solomon's.

“Well may this book be called the Song of Songs! There is no song like it. Read aright, it brings a gladness to the heart which is as far beyond the joy of earthly things as heaven is higher than the earth. It has been well said that this is a song which grace alone can teach, and experience alone can learn. Our SAVIOUR, speaking of the union of the branch with the vine, adds, “These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full” (John xv.11). And the beloved disciple, writing of Him who “was from the beginning,” who “was with the FATHER, and was manifested unto us,” in order that we might share the fellowship which He enjoyed, also says, “These things we write unto you, that your joy may be full.” Union with CHRIST, and abiding in CHRIST, what do they not secure? Peace, perfect peace; rest, constant rest; answers to all our prayers; victory over all our foes; pure, holy living; ever-increasing fruitfulness. All, all of these are the glad outcome of abiding in CHRIST. To deepen this union, to make more constant this abiding, is the practical use of this precious Book.

--- Hudson Taylor

2020/10/22 7:38Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

SONG OF SONGS 1:2
Let Him kiss me with the kisses of His mouth:
For Thy love is better than wine.

“The words are not those of one dead in trespasses and sins, to whom the LORD is as a root out of a dry ground -- without form and comeliness. The speaker has had her eyes opened to behold His beauty, and longs for a fuller enjoyment of His love”

“………and yet, alas! He is not always with her: He comes and goes. Now her joy in Him is a heaven below; but again she is longing, and longing in vain, for His presence.”

“Where is the blessedness I knew
When first I saw the Lord?”

“Though never at rest in his absence, she cannot trust him fully; and she does not care to give up her own name, her own rights and possessions, her own will to him who has become necessary for her happiness. She would fain claim him fully, without giving herself fully to him; but it can never be: while she retains her own name, she can never claim his………While she retains her own will, and the control of her own possessions, she must be content to live on her own resources; she cannot claim his.”

“Could there be a sadder proof of the extent and reality of the Fall than the deep seated distrust of our loving LORD and MASTER which makes us hesitate to give ourselves entirely up to Him, which fears that He might require something beyond our powers, or call for something that we should find it hard to give or to do? The real secret of an unsatisfied life lies too often in an unsurrendered will. And yet how foolish, as well as how wrong, this is! Do we fancy that we are wiser than He? or that our love for ourselves is more tender and strong than His? or that we know ourselves better than He does? How our distrust must grieve and wound afresh the tender heart of Him who was for us the Man of Sorrows!”

--- Hudson Taylor

2020/10/22 7:40Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

SONG OF SONGS 1:3 --
Thine ointments have a goodly fragrance;
Thy name is as ointment poured forth;
Therefore do the virgins love Thee.

“Take the right place before Him, and He will be most ready, most glad, to ‘Satisfy thy deepest longings, to meet, supply thine every need.’” *

SONG OF SONGS 1:4 –
Draw me: we will run after Thee!

“She will yield her very self to Him, heart and hand, influence and possessions. Nothing can be so insupportable as His absence! If He lead to another Moriah, or even to a Calvary, she will follow Him.”

“But ah! what follows? A wondrously glad surprise. No Moriah, no Calvary; on the contrary, a KING! When the heart submits, then JESUS reigns. And when JESUS reigns, there is rest.
And where does He head His bride?”

The King hath brought me into His chambers.

“Not first to the banqueting house -- that will come in due season; but first to be alone with Himself.”

“He takes His now fully consecrated bride aside, to taste and enjoy the sacred intimacies of His wondrous love.”

“The Bridegroom of His Church longs for communion with His people more than they long for fellowship with Him, and often has to cry: --

Song of Songs 2:14 --
Let Me see thy countenance, let Me hear thy voice;
For sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely.”

“……this is the first-fruit of her consecration.”

We will be glad and rejoice in Thee,
We will make mention of Thy love more than of wine.
Rightly do they love Thee.

--- Hudson Taylor

-------

*Quotation from hymn “Jesus, I am Resting, Resting”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjDWhaq0zIg

Excerpt from “Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret” by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor:

“The secret of his own strength was not far to seek. Whenever work permitted, Mr. Taylor was in the habit of turning to a little harmonium for refreshment, playing and singing many a favorite hymn, but always coming back to –

Jesus, I am resting, resting, in the joy of what Thou art; I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.

He had learnt that, for him, only one life was possible – just that blessed life of resting and rejoicing in the Lord under all circumstances, while He dealt with the difficulties, inward and outward, great and small.”

2020/10/22 7:48Profile
followthelamb

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Amazing! Thank you so much for this thread...back on July 16th I also was feeling led to post from “Union and Communion or Thoughts on the Song of Solomon” by Hudson Taylor but got distracted and forgot to post. God is so good. God is faithful!

2020/10/22 9:33Profile
followthelamb

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

This:

Draw me: we will run after Thee!

“She will yield her very self to Him, heart and hand, influence and possessions. Nothing can be so insupportable as His absence! If He lead to another Moriah, or even to a Calvary, she will follow Him.”

“But ah! what follows? A wondrously glad surprise. No Moriah, no Calvary; on the contrary, a KING! When the heart submits, then JESUS reigns. And when JESUS reigns, there is rest.

And where does He lead His bride?”
The King hath brought me into His chambers.

“Not first to the banqueting house -- that will come in due season; but first to be alone with Himself.”

“He takes His now fully consecrated bride aside, to taste and enjoy the sacred intimacies of His wondrous love.”

“The Bridegroom of His Church longs for communion with His people more than they long for fellowship with Him.."

2020/10/22 9:48Profile
billy1980

Tennesse

Re:

Beautiful...

2020/10/22 11:05Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi followthelamb, William,

We have a wonderful Saviour!

We give Him our ashes and He gives us His beauty (Isa. 61:3).

Ps. 27:4-6 (BSB) –
One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD
And to meditate in His temple.
For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion;
In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me;
He shall set me high upon a rock.
And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me,
And I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.

1 Cor. 1:9 –
God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hymn: A Wonderful Saviour is Jesus My Lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJ4cw0scJk

2020/10/24 1:49Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Song of Songs 1:3 –
Because of the fragrance of your good ointments,
Your name is ointment poured forth;
Therefore the virgins love you.

HYMN - HOW SWEET THE NAME OF JESUS SOUNDS

Lyrics:

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer’s ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole
And calms the troubled breast;
’Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary, rest.

Dear Name! the Rock on which I build,
My Shield and Hiding Place,
My never-failing Treas’ry filled
With boundless stores of grace!

Jesus! my Shepherd, Husband, Friend,
My Prophet, Priest, and King;
My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.

Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see Thee as Thou art,
I’ll praise Thee as I ought.

Till then I would Thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath,
And may the music of Thy name
Refresh my soul in death.

Author: John Newton, 1779

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfumgpnshag

2020/10/29 8:24Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Song of Songs 1:5 –
I am black,
but comely,
O ye daughters of Jerusalem,
as the tents of Kedar,
as the curtains of Solomon.

HUDSON TAYLOR:

“Another discovery not less important awaits her. She has seen the face of the KING, and as the rising sun reveals that which was hidden in the darkness, so His light has revealed her blackness to her. ‘Ah,’ she cries, ‘I am black’; -- ‘But comely,’ interjects the Bridegroom, with inimitable grace and tenderness. ‘Nay, black as the tents of Kedar,' she continues. ‘Yet to Me,’ He responds, ‘thou art comely as the curtains of Solomon!' Nothing humbles the soul like sacred and intimate communion with the Lord; yet there is a sweet joy in feeling that He knows all, and, notwithstanding, loves us still. Things once called ‘little negligences’ are seen with new eyes in ‘the secret of His presence.’”

BENSON COMMENTARY:

“’I am black’ — I confess, as to myself, I am contemptible and deformed. She alludes to the complexion of Pharaoh’s daughter; ‘but comely’ — Yet I am glorious within, (Psalm 45:13); and comely, through the beauty which my husband hath put upon me, by his graces conferred upon me, in justification and sanctification…………’As the tents of Kedar’ — Of the wild Arabians, the posterity of Kedar, (Genesis 25:13,) who dwelt in tents, which were black and uncomely. ‘As the curtains of Solomon’ — As the hangings wherewith Solomon’s house was furnished, which none can doubt were most beautiful and glorious. So these two last clauses answer to the two first, and that in the same order in which they lie.

MY THOUGHTS:

In ourselves, in our flesh, apart from Christ, we will always be “black……like the tents of Kedar.” But, in Christ and Christ in us, by the Holy Spirit, we will be forever beautiful and glorious, “like the curtains of Solomon”.

(Comment: Kedar was a son of Ishmael – Gen. 25:13).

The Lord Jesus said, “I am the vine, you are the branches……Abide in Me, and I in you (John 15:4-5)”. Branches abiding in the vine are surely filled abundantly with the life, the nature, the beauty and the glory of the vine, not by any work of the branch, but simply by union and communion with the vine.

For we who have been baptized into Christ (that is, immersed into Christ; that is, we in Christ and Christ in us) have clothed ourselves with Christ (Gal. 3:27).

Isa. 61:10 –
I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

2 Cor. 5:17—
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

We do not look back to the old things, but --

Phil. 3:13 –
Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Col. 1:27 –
………Christ in you, the hope of glory.

2 Thess. 2:13-14 –
But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth. It was for this He called you through our gospel, that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rom. 8:1-2, 14 –
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death………For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Lot’s wife looked back, fixed her eyes on the place of condemnation, and became a pillar of salt (Gen. 19:17,26).

But, we --

2 Cor. 5:7 –
But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

2020/10/29 8:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy