SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tim Keller

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rhuomai

Re: Tim Keller

That is the folly of it all. Some Christians are allowing strong leftist principles to deride their Christian values. Others have allowed feminist and Marxist theories to form their spiritual agenda at the expense of their biblical teachings. Some of these affected Christian evangelicals that seem to pass Marxist agenda as the gospel truth include Tim Keller, Russell Moore, Al Mohler and Thabiti Anyabwile of The Gospel Coalition. While these men teach their following to adhere to some the teachings of the Reformed Protestant Movement, they also couple that with the fight for social justice and make contrived mercy efforts. How holy can they really get? Well, it gets worse; these false shepherds also have the gall to declare that Christianity should be culturally neutral. How then do they justify their calls for Christianity to engage culture rather than separating from it if it is neutral? Isn’t that a bit confusing to the flock?

Well Dear Bill,

The above speaks into the real meaning of the original Op. The link is here.

https://reformationcharlotte.org/2019/03/17/tim-keller-takeover-social-justice-church/

Just for the record Mr Pro - I despise politics and all political meanings to the core. I wouldn't give you twopence worth for Republicanism or its Marxist rival. I wasn't making a political meaning in anything I was saying. Just giving direction to the spiritual mind.

Regards,

⁨ܡܫܚܐ⁩

2020/10/12 13:45Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I'd say there are definitely better, more theologically sound Bible teachers out there than Tim Keller. I'm not saying he's not a christian, though.

I read the Reformation Charlotte article, and I would disagree with his stance on theistic evolution, but belief in a young earth isn't essential to salvation (although from a scientific and theological perspective it makes no sense to believe in theistic evolution.)

As for "contemplative prayer", I'd have to know exactly what he means by that. I meditate on scripture, but it doesn't mean I mindlessly repeat or sing Bible verses. It just means that when I read the Bible, I ask God to speak to me through His word, and He does. Sometimes I contemplate a verse or verses for hours on end, whether I'm at home, work or wherever. I make it a regular practice to pray daily in private (I just talk to Jesus and He talks to me.) I DO NOT empty my mind and chant mantras; I think that's dangerous.

As for mystics, Roman Catholic or otherwise, I read them sometimes (in fact right now I'm reading 'Revelations of Divine Love' by Julian of Norwich.) I've read others, as well, like Madam Guyon and Richard Rolle. While I disagree with certain doctrinal points, I can say they were exemplary christians. To be perfectly clear, though, Roman Catholicism is absolutely heretical. There were and are true christians unfortunate enough to be caught up in it.

Social justice? It seems to me when I hear these words my mind immediately conjures up images of radical left wing crazies who think all white people are racist and who want a communist utopia. What does Tim Keller mean by social justice? It is certain that christians have new hearts and new natures, and therefore bear good fruit. 1 John 3:17 says "But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?" I can't say I am a christian and ignore need all around me. But the distinction is instead of being saved by good works, they are but one indicator of the new nature christians possess. If Tim Keller is saying we are saved by helping the poor or some other good work, I of course disagree. I don't see that in the statement the article quoted.

2020/10/12 18:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy