SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Daniel's Prophetic Visions

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
docs

Re:

What has helped me is to remember that the coming of Christ is to occur in two comings, not just one. He came and left but He will come again. Much prophecy can still occur near to His second coming. After all, the question was, "What will be the SIGN OF YOUR COMING and the END OF THE AGE?" A large amount of prophecy and its fulfillment occurs near or at the end of the age. As part of His reply in regards to His second coming, it was Christ Who said, "When you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet..." So it was Jesus Himself Who, in regards to His second coming and the signs to precede it, directed us to go to Daniel. Going to Daniel for clues is therefore an act of obedience to Christ.

In the four passages regarding the abomination of desolation, mention is also made each time of the taking away of the daily sacrifices. Most commentators and people I have spoken with will not even take into account Daniel 8:11-12, 11:31, and 12:11. They contend only from Daniel 9:27. From my point of view, I would urge you to consider all four of the passages together with Matthew 24:15. The abomination of desolation, which is a sign of His coming (at the end of the age), is always accompanied by the daily sacrifices being taken away. Therefore, that is what leads us to believe that a rebuilt temple and a vain resumption of the daily sacrifices will occur near Christ's second coming. Sacrifices were made in temples. See my post "The Re-establishing of the Jewish Daily Sacrifices."

And again, if an evil personage is spoken of in Daniel 8:11-12, 11:31 and 12:11, why is it all of a sudden a good personage in Daniel 9:27?

I'll try and reply some more before long on the 70 weeks and the fulfillment of the 70th week. You ask good and legitimate questions in my opinion.

Thank you.

2020/9/6 9:56Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi David (Doc),

Quote:
Not that I am the judge, but I've also found dispensational believers to be among some of the most fervent and God loving people to be found. I just don't ascribe to that particular point of belief but brothers and sisters in the Lord they are.

Our salvation does not depend on whether we are dispensational believers or not. But there is NO salvation for both Jews and Gentiles without the New Covenant in Jesus’ blood.

Quote:
Regarding Daniel 9:27 and the Dispensational view versus the Messianic view, one fact I believe to be important in determining the proper answer to this question is to remember that the taking away of the daily sacrifices and the abomination of desolation is spoken of four times in Daniel and not just in Daniel 9:27.

11 He even exalted himself as high as the Prince of the host; and by him the DAILY SACRIFICES WERE TAKEN AWAY, and the place of His sanctuary was cast down. (Daniel 8:11)

27 But in the middle of the week He shall BRING AN END TO SACRIFICE AND OFFERING, and on the wings of abominations shall be one who makes desolate. (Daniel 9:27)

31 And forces shall be mustered by him, and they shall defile the sanctuary fortress; then they shall TAKE AWAY THE DAILY SACRIFICES, and place there the abomination of desolation. (Daniel 11:31)

11 And from the time that THE DAILY SACRIFICE IS TAKEN AWAY,
and the abomination of desolation is set up, there shall be one thousand two hundred and ninety days. (Daniel 12:11)

…………………

We see that in Daniel 8:11, 11:31, and 12:11, that each time the abomination of desolation spoken of it is accompanied by the taking away of the daily sacrifices. It is an evil personage doing this in these three passages and in Daniel 9:27 we see one who will bring an abomination that makes desolate as (curiously in the middle of the week) he takes away the daily sacrifices. The point is, that if in three passages it is an evil personage doing this taking away and making desolate why is all of a sudden Christ supposed to the one doing it in Daniel 9:27? That is in no way speaking against Christ and His work, it's just trying to rightfully compare Daniel 9:27 with the other three passages in Daniel that speak of the same thing.

TAKING AWAY OF THE DAILY SACRIFICE

(1)

Dan. 8:11 (NKJV) –
He even exalted himself as high as the Prince of the host; and by him the daily sacrifices were taken away, and the place of His sanctuary was cast down.

This took place in Daniel’s vision of the Ram and the Goat in Chapter 8.

This vision is confined to the Medo-Persian and Greek Empires (Dan. 8:20-25).

The “little horn” which removed the daily sacrifices in v.11 was a king from the line of one of the 4 generals who succeeded Alexander the Great (v.9). It is generally agreed that he was Antiochus Epiphanes, a descendant of Seleucus I Nicator, the general who took over the bulk of the territory which Alexander had conquered in Asia, centring on Syria and Persia. Antiochus Epiphanes set up an “Awful Horror” in the altar of the temple and offered pagan sacrifices on a pagan altar erected on top of the altar of the temple. He ordered the Jews not to offer burnt offerings, grain offerings and wine offerings. He also ordered them to treat the Sabbath and festivals as ordinary workdays. He shipped off the sacred vessels, including the seven-branch golden menorah, and stole gold and silver coins (1 Maccabees 1).

(2)

Dan. 9:27

NASB –
And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.

NKJV –
Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate.

Brenton Septuagint –
And one week shall establish the covenant with many: and in the midst of the week my sacrifice and drink-offering shall be taken away: and on the temple shall be the abomination of desolations; and at the end of time an end shall be put to the desolation.

This is the last verse in Daniel’s 70 Weeks prophecy in Chapter 9:24-27.

The 70 Weeks prophecy was given in response to Daniel’s prayer.

Daniel had observed that the 70-year period God had set for the desolation of Jerusalem (Jer. 25:11, 29:10) was about to expire. He then went to God in prayer and prayed for God to forgive His people, to let His face shine on the desolate sanctuary and to take action because “Your city and Your people are called by Your name” (v.3-19).

In response to his prayer, the angel Gabriel came to him and gave him the 70 Weeks prophecy (v. 24-27).

Therefore, the 70 Weeks prophecy is a prophecy for the Jewish people, for their sanctuary and their city.

This prophecy culminates in the coming of the Messiah (Christ) AFTER the 69th week, i.e. in the 70th Week, who will be “cut off” (Christ’s crucifixion) (v.26).

In this 70th Week (v.27) Christ’s death on the cross brings in the glories of the New Covenant in His blood, of which their prophets had prophesied. This final 70th week merits a separate and special mention for it is the most momentous “week” for mankind in all time and eternity.

And with Christ’s one offering, all OT offerings are taken away.

Heb. 7:18-19 –
For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Heb. 8:7-8, 13 –
For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. For finding fault with them, He says, "Behold, days are coming, says the Lord, when I will effect a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah……When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Heb. 10:1,9,10,14 –
For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near……then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will." He takes away the first in order to establish the second. By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all……For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

1 Pet. 1:10-12 –
Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow. It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves, but you, in these things which now have been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven-- things into which angels long to look.

(3)

Dan. 11:31 (NKJV) –
And forces shall be mustered by him, and they shall defile the sanctuary fortress; then they shall take away the daily sacrifices, and place there the abomination of desolation.

After receiving the 70 Weeks prophecy, Daniel was given further revelations in connection with the 70 Weeks in Chapters 11–12:1-4. Note that in the 70 Weeks, the 62 weeks in Dan. 9:25 refer to the intertestamental period and this covers the time of the Persian, Greek and Roman empires. Dan. 11 gives more prophecies of the events that would occur during this time. The ruler who took away the daily sacrifices in Dan. 11:31 is the same ruler who took away the sacrifices in Dan. 8:11 i.e. Antiochus Epiphanes.

(4)

Dan. 12:11 (NKJV) –
And from the time that the daily sacrifice is taken away, and the abomination of desolation is set up, there shall be one thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Consider this:

According to Josephus, the Roman armies first approached Jerusalem under Cestius in Nov. 66 AD. In July 70 AD (approx. three and half years later, taking away parts of the 2 months), the daily sacrifices were taken away as recorded by Josephus:

"And now Titus gave orders to his soldiers that were with him to dig up the foundations of the tower of Antonia, and make a ready passage for his army to come up, while he himself had Josephus brought to him; for he had been informed that, on that very day, which was the seventeenth day of Panemus, the sacrifice called 'the daily sacrifice' had failed, and had not been offered to God for want of men to offer it; and that the people were grievously troubled at it" (Wars, VI. 2.1.).

I am not saying that this is definitely the event in Dan. 12:11 but it could be.

A Question:
Why would the Antichrist desecrate the Jewish temple? Isn’t antichrist anti-Christian, anti-grace and truth (John 1:17), anti-New Covenant, anti-faith in Jesus, anti-the body of Christ, anti-church……?

John 2:19-21 –
Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews then said, "It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?" But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

Eph. 2:19-22 –
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

ADD: I will study the abomination of desolation next.

Blessings

2020/9/7 11:07Profile
docs

Re:

I'm busy and trying to find time to respond.

Thank you.

2020/9/8 16:08Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

That is okay. Take your time. I am rather busy too.

Something else to consider:

Jesus said in Luke 21:24 (NKJV) –

“And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.”

(1)

Has the “times of the Gentiles” been fulfilled?
The Muslim mosque, Al-Aqsa still stands on Temple Mount and the Arab population in the Old City still exceeds the Jewish population there.

(2)

In Rom. 11:25, Paul speaks of the time “until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in”. But note that what follows is salvation NOT any desolation or tribulation.

This agrees with Isa. 51:11 (NKJV)–

“So the ransomed of the LORD shall return,
And come to Zion with singing,
With everlasting joy on their heads.
They shall obtain joy and gladness;
Sorrow and sighing shall flee away.”

Note that they return to “everlasting joy” and “sorrow and sighing shall flee away” i.e. NOT a return to any desolation or tribulation.

This would support the view that the desolation in Dan. 9:27 is a past event.

Blessings.

2020/9/9 2:09Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

THE OLIVET PROPHECY – THE ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION

The Lord Jesus said in Matt. 24:15-16 (NASB):

"Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.”

The Lord said this in the Olivet Prophecy (Olivet Discourse) in Matt. 24:1-44. Parallel passages of this prophecy are in Mark 13:1-37 and Luke 21:5-36.

SETTING OF THE OLIVET PROPHECY

One day, as Jesus was leaving the temple, His disciples pointed out the buildings of the temple to Him and one of them said:

Mark 13:1 (NASB) –
"Teacher, behold what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!"

Jesus replied:

Matt. 24:2 (NASB) –
“Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down”.

Later, as He sat on the Mount of Olives, Peter and James and John and Andrew came to him privately and asked Him:

Matt. 24:3 (NASB) –
"Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

Parallel passages regarding this question are in Mark and Luke as follows:

Mark 13:4 (NASB) --
"Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are going to be fulfilled?"

Luke 21:7 (NASB) --
“Teacher, when therefore will these things happen? And what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?”

It was in response to this question that Jesus then gave the Olivet Prophecy or Olivet Discourse.

THE DISCIPLES’ QUESTION

We see in Matt. 24:3 that there are two questions:

(1) When will the stones of the temple be torn down i.e. when will the temple be destroyed?

(2) When will Jesus come again?

NO SIGN WILL BE GIVEN FOR THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST

Jesus said that NO sign will be given for His second return. His return will be totally unexpected.

Matt. 24:36-44 --
But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah.
For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be………Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.
But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into.
For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.

Mark 13:32-37 –
But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
“Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come.
It is like a man away on a journey, who upon leaving his house and putting his slaves in charge, assigning to each one his task, also commanded the doorkeeper to stay on the alert.
Therefore, be on the alert—for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether in the evening, at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning— in case he should come suddenly and find you asleep. What I say to you I say to all, ‘Be on the alert!’”

Comment:
The Dispensational View of the seventieth week in Daniel’s Seventy Weeks Prophecy, by setting a fixed future time-line of events and signs for the second coming of Christ, clearly contradicts the Lord Jesus’ words that there will be NO sign for His return.

THE SIGN FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM AND TEMPLE

The “abomination of desolation” is the SIGN to the disciples for the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple.

Matt. 24:15-16 (NASB) –
Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.

Mark 13:14 (NASB) –
But when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.

Luke 21:20 –
But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near.

NOTE in the above passages: “When you SEE……” i.e. a sign that can be seen.

This is the “abomination of desolation” predicted in Dan. 9:27. The Septuagint text uses the same word that Jesus used:

Dan. 9:27 (Brenton Septuagint Translation) –
And one week shall establish the covenant with many: and in the midst of the week my sacrifice and drink-offering shall be taken away: and on the temple shall be the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATIONS; and at the end of time an end shall be put to the desolation.

WHAT IS THIS ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION

By comparing Luke 21:20 with corresponding verses Matt. 24:15-16 and Mark 13:14, we can see that the “abomination of desolation” is “Jerusalem surrounded by armies”.

Therefore, the armies that are were to accomplish the desolation of Jerusalem were the “abomination of desolation”.

“Abomination” just means a “detestable thing” (Strong’s Concordance). It is often used in connection with idols and idolatry in the O.T. But it can equally and fittingly be applied to the “detestable thing” of the Roman armies surrounding Jerusalem to destroy it. It is the abomination NOT to desecrate the temple BUT to make Jerusalem DESOLATE. Note: Abomination of DESOLATION.

THE HOLY PLACE

Matt. 24:15 speaks of the abomination of desolation “standing in the holy place”.

This is often interpreted as in the “holy of holies”.

The Greek word for “holy place” here is “hagios: sacred, holy” + “topos: a place or locality”.

Therefore, it can certainly be applied to Jerusalem, the holy place or the holy city.

In Heb. 9:12,24,25, the Greek word for the holy of holies is just “hagios”, not “hagios topos”

Besides, people outside the temple would not be able to SEE an abomination set up in the holy of holies.

This is an abomination of DESOLATION, NOT an abomination of desecration.

A PERSONAL THOUGHT

The destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in 70 AD seems to me to be a fitting fulfilment of Heb. 8:13 and Dan 9:27.

Heb. 8:13 (NASB) –
When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Dan. 9:27 (Brenton’s Septuagint) –
And one week shall establish the covenant with many: and in the midst of the week my sacrifice and drink-offering shall be taken away: and on the temple shall be the abomination of desolations; and at the end of time an end shall be put to the desolation.

An infinitely greater than Solomon is here (Matt. 12:42).

An infinitely greater sacrifice is here (Heb. 10:1-18).

An infinitely greater temple is here (John 1:19-21, Eph. 2:19-22).

An infinitely greater priesthood is here (Heb. 6:19-20, 7:15-28).

An infinitely greater city is here (Heb. 12:22).

An infinitely greater covenant is here (Heb. 8:6-13).

An infinitely greater hope is here (Col. 1:25-27).

And, infinitely greater riches are here (Eph. 3:8, 17-19).

2 Cor. 5:17 (NKJV) –
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

I COUNT ALL THINGS TO BE LOSS IN VIEW OF THE SURPASSING VALUE OF KNOWING CHRIST JESUS MY LORD

The apostle Paul was a Jew.

He said:

Phil. 3:4-11 –
for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh.
If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.
But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

A NEW AND LIVING WAY

Heb. 10:19-22 (NASB) –
Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

LET US FIX OUR EYES ON JESUS

Heb. 12:1-2 (NASB) –
……let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

WATCH AND PRAY

Matt. 24:42 (NKJV) –
Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.

Luke 21:34 (NKJV) –
But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly.

2020/9/11 9:31Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

WATCH AND PRAY

Matt. 24:42 (NKJV) –
Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.

What do we watch and pray for?

Luke tells us:

Luke 21:34 (NKJV) –
But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly.

Comment:
We must watch that the temptations of the world and the cares of life do not take us away from abiding in Christ.

Jesus said to His disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane:

Matt. 26:41 (NASB) –
"Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Comment:
Only the Holy Spirit can keep us in Christ and set us free from sin and death.

Rom. 8:2-8,13-14 (NASB) –
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God…………for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Comment:
Will we be found living according to the Spirit with our minds set on the things of the Spirit when Jesus comes?

PARABLE OF THE TEN VIRGINS

Matt. 25:1-13 (NASB) –
Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
Five of them were foolish, and five were prudent.
For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps.
Now while the bridegroom was delaying, they all got drowsy and began to sleep.
But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’
Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.
The foolish said to the prudent, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’
But the prudent answered, ‘No, there will not be enough for us and you too; go instead to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.’
And while they were going away to make the purchase, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast; and the door was shut.
Later the other virgins also came, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open up for us.’
But he answered, ‘Truly I say to you, I do not know you.’
Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

2020/9/12 4:07Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hymn: The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqc3euphOLU

SCRIPTURE

Heb. 10:3-47,9-10,17-18 –
But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year by year.
For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins
…………
then He said, "BEHOLD, I HAVE COME TO DO YOUR WILL." He takes away the first in order to establish the second. By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
…………
He then says,
"AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."
Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin.

Ps. 86:8-9 –
There is no one like You among the gods, O Lord,
Nor are there any works like Yours.
All nations whom You have made shall come
and worship before You, O Lord,
And they shall glorify Your name.

2020/9/12 7:29Profile
docs

Re:

Oh boy do I ever apologize for my tardiness in replying to your good posts and questions and insights. Sometimes I get busy and can't seem to get loose. I have been asked to teach Sunday school over Zoom tomorrow morning so I need to prepare for that. Plus I have to do a bit of work today. But beginning tomorrow, I will be free and will try to pick up where we left off.

Blessings.

2020/9/12 9:35Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi David (Docs),
Reply when you can.
Blessings

2020/9/18 11:29Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

BUT WHEN THE FULLNESS OF THE TIME CAME, GOD SENT FORTH HIS SON……… (Gal.4:4)

The Seventy Weeks Prophecy culminates in the coming of the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ, who took away the Old Covenant (which was weak and unprofitable because the Law made nothing perfect – Heb. 7:19) and brought in the New Covenant of grace by which we may be perfected and gain the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ (2 Th. 1:12, 2:13-14).

Different timelines have been constructed for the Seventy Weeks Prophecy.

For me, the following timeline shows the certainty and wonder of God’s Word.

(1)
STARTING POINT OF THE SEVENTY WEEKS

Dan. 9:25 (NASB) –
So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress.

The starting point of the Seventy Weeks is the “issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem”.

Long before Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed by the Babylonians, God had decreed that it would be through Cyrus that Jerusalem and the temple would be rebuilt.

Isa. 44:26 (NASB)–
Confirming the word of His servant
And performing the purpose of His messengers.
It is I who says of Jerusalem,
'She shall be inhabited!'
And of the cities of Judah,
'They shall be built.'
And I will raise up her ruins again.

v. 28 –
"It is I who says of Cyrus, 'He is My shepherd!
And he will perform all My desire.'
And he declares of Jerusalem,
'She will be built,'
And of the temple,
'Your foundation will be laid.'"

Isa. 45:1-7 (NASB) –
Thus says the LORD to Cyrus His anointed,
Whom I have taken by the right hand,
To subdue nations before him
And to loose the loins of kings;
To open doors before him so that gates will not be shut:
“I will go before you and make the rough places smooth;
I will shatter the doors of bronze and cut through their iron bars.
“I will give you the treasures of darkness
And hidden wealth of secret places,
So that you may know that it is I,
The LORD, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.
“For the sake of Jacob My servant,
And Israel My chosen one,
I have also called you by your name;
I have given you a title of honor
Though you have not known Me.
“I am the LORD, and there is no other;
Besides Me there is no God.
I will gird you, though you have not known Me;
That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun
That there is no one besides Me.
I am the LORD, and there is no other,
The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity;
I am the LORD who does all these.

v.13 –
“I have aroused him in righteousness
And I will make all his ways smooth;
He will build My city and will let My exiles go free,
Without any payment or reward,” says the LORD of hosts.

The starting point was NOT the time when the work of the rebuilding of the city began. It was simply the time when the decree to restore and to build the city was issued. Cyrus issued this decree in the first year of his reign.

Ezra 1:1-5 –
Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying:
“Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, ‘The LORD, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth and He has appointed me to build Him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever there is among you of all His people, may his God be with him! Let him go up to Jerusalem which is in Judah and rebuild the house of the LORD, the God of Israel; He is the God who is in Jerusalem. Every survivor, at whatever place he may live, let the men of that place support him with silver and gold, with goods and cattle, together with a freewill offering for the house of God which is in Jerusalem.’”

It may be argued that the decree in Dan. 9:25 was for the rebuilding of Jerusalem and the rebuilding of the city of Jerusalem was not mentioned in Ezra. 1:1-5. But God had said in Isa. 45:13 that it would be through Cyrus that BOTH the temple and the city of Jerusalem would be rebuilt, and God’s Word cannot fail.

Ps. 33:9 –
For He spoke, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.

And God’s Word did not fail. For when the people, by Cyrus’ decree, returned to rebuild the temple, they also began to rebuild the city of Jerusalem as evidenced by the complaint of the adversaries to the king.

Ezra 4:12 (NKJV) –
Let it be known to the king that the Jews who came up from you have come to us at Jerusalem, and are building the rebellious and evil city, and are finishing its walls and repairing the foundations.

In 1913, Martin Anstey constructed a chronology based solely on biblical data which gave the year of Cyrus’ decree as 457 BC.

(2)
THE COMING OF THE MESSIAH, THE ANOINTED ONE, AT THE END OF THE SIXTY-NINTH WEEK (DAN. 9:25)

69 “weeks” i.e. 483 years (69 X 7) after 457 BC brings us to 26 AD.

This was the year the Lord Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist in Jordan River. It was at His baptism that the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove (Luke 3:22). God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power (Acts 10:38). Jesus then began His ministry in the power of the Spirit (Luke 4:14) and declared Himself to be the “Anointed” One, the Messiah: “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor……” (Luke 4:18).

The sixty-ninth week thus ended and the seventieth week began.

(3)
MESSIAH “CUT OFF’ IN MIDDLE OF SEVENTIETH WEEK

Dan. 9:26-27 (YLT) –
And after the sixty and two weeks, cut off is Messiah………And he hath strengthened a covenant with many -- one week, and in the midst of the week he causeth sacrifice and present to cease…

It is inferred from information in the Gospel of John that the ministry of Christ lasted three and a half year. This is supported by the Law of the Passover Lamb. The lamb was selected 4 days before it was sacrificed (Ex. 12:1-6). Jesus was declared to be the Lamb of God at His baptism by John the Baptist (John 1:29), in whom God is well-pleased (Luke 3:22). Four years from His baptism brings us to His crucifixion and resurrection in the middle of the seventieth week, 30 AD.

And with Christ’s one offering all other offerings were taken away (Heb. 10). And by the New Covenant in His blood, the old Covenant was made obsolete (Heb. 8). Everlasting righteousness was brought in and the Holy Spirit has come to fill disciples of Christ, anointing God’s spiritual temple (Dan. 9:24 – “and to anoint the most holy place”. Also, see 2 Cor. 1:21).

Thus ends the prophecy for the Seventy Weeks.

No event was prophesied to mark the end of the seventy weeks.

Christ’s great sacrifice and the New Covenant in His blood has opened for all mankind the glorious eternal day of truth and grace.

(4)

Jerusalem was destroyed 40 years later in 70 AD. This event is not an event within the 70 weeks (Re: Dan. 9:24).

2020/9/18 11:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy