SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How we hear makes all the difference

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

How we hear makes all the difference

While reading Proverbs 1 this morning, I caught a glimpse of the wisdom of the glory of Christ Jesus.

For years I understood verse 5 to read - "for the one who hears the wise will be wiser." This morning, I was allowed or directed to notice that I was mistaken. The grammar of the Septuagint allowed me to see what the writer actually intended to be understood.

Rather than saying "the one who hears the wise", the grammar actually indicates this - "the wise one who is hearing." The difference is dynamic. Men sit and "hear" the words of wise men all the time, without truly "listening" themselves. We can be in the midst of the wise and not hear a thing.

Jesus fully understood this and spoke this truth in His explanation of the Parable of the Sower. He said - "Be very careful "how you hear" for with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. The one having will be given more and he will have an abundance. The one not having, even that which he thinks he has will be taken from him."
Men who think they already know, stop listening carefully. They become - "dull of hearing" and it makes teaching the deeper things of God very difficult. Poor hearing turns grown men into infants in need of milk.

Our Lord Jesus was full of wisdom and understanding. This is why He proclaimed - "The one having ears to hear - let him hear." How we hear makes all the difference. Wisdom sings aloud in the open places. From the top of the walls she proclaims. She sits beside the gates of those in power and at the gates of the city she boldly says....

She lets go the breath of her sayings and she will teach men her words, but she calls and men do not obey, she stretches forth her words but men do not take heed. She does not light her lamp to put it under a bowl or place it under a bed. She lights her lamp to put it upon a stand so that all who enter the house can see. For there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, there is nothing hidden that will not be made known.

Fittingly, men are filled with the fruit of their own ways and destroyed by their own ungodliness. Their disdain of wisdom and instruction leads them into becoming ungodly and insolent.

The wise man who is hearing will be wiser. How we hear makes all the difference. If men perceived with their eyes, heard with their ears, and understood in their hearts, they would turn to the Lord and He would heal them.

How we hear makes all the difference.

mak

2020/9/1 6:48Profile
deogloria

Re: How we hear makes all the difference

Thank you mak, glad you have the ability and probably a gift to study the Word of God so carefully

"Men who think they already know, stop listening carefully. They become - "dull of hearing" and it makes teaching the deeper things of God very difficult."

What would you say are "the deeper things of God" ?

"The wise man who is hearing will be wiser..."
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom !
We also know about the wise virgins who were prepared for end time.

"How we hear makes all the difference. If men perceived with their eyes, heard with their ears, and understood in their hearts, they would turn to the Lord and He would heal them."

So true !

2020/9/3 17:42Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

You asked - “What would you say are "the deeper things of God" ?”

In Hebrews 5, the “much more to say about this” seems to point to the power of the nature of the King of Righteousness. It seems most believers have grasped forgiveness and atonement. They also understand the struggles caused by the flesh and temptation. However, the truth of being partakers of the “divine nature” and the power of grace perfected in our weakness lags behind the comprehension of forgiveness.

Forensic - (judicial) - righteousness is more widely accepted than The dynamic impartation of the righteous nature of Christ very life. These are just my own thoughts, but the deeper things seem to be the truths about every spiritual blessing we have been given in Christ.

While rejoicing in His forgiveness and mercy never lose their place in our heart, growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord lead us to the realization that we have in Jesus everything we need for life and godliness.

Mak

2020/9/5 5:17Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy