Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Christopher,

Quote:
When John the Baptist initially questioned the need to baptize Jesus, our Lord replied that he was doing it to "fulfill all righteousness."

Following is an extract from the book “John the Baptist” by F. B. Meyer (1847-1929).

Quote:
There was probably a deeper reason still. That Jordan water, flowing downwards to the Dead Sea, was symbolical. In the purity of its origin, amid the snows of Hermon, and in the beauty of its earlier course, it was an emblem of man's original constitution, when the Creator made him in His own image and pronounced him very good; but in these sullied and troubled waters hurrying on to the Sea of Death—waters in which thousands of sinners had confessed their sins, with tears and sighs—how apt an emblem was there of the history of our race, contaminated by the evil that is in the world through lust, and meriting the wages of sin—death! With that race, in its sin and degradation, our Lord now formally identified Himself. His baptism was his formal identification with our fallen and sinful race, though He knew no sin for Himself, and could challenge the minutest inspection of his enemies: "Which of you convinceth Me of sin?"

Was He baptized because He needed to repent, or to confess his sins? Nay, verily! He was as pure as the bosom of God, from which He came; as pure as the fire that shone above them in the orb of day; as pure as the snows on Mount Hermon, rearing itself like a vision of clouds on the horizon: but He needed to be made sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. When the paschal lamb had been chosen by the head of a Jewish household, it was customary to take it, three days before it would be offered, to the priest, to have it sealed with the Temple seal; so our Lord, three years before his death, must be set apart and sealed by the direct act of the Holy Spirit, through the mediation of John the Baptist. "Him hath God the Father sealed."

………

A friend suggests that the Lord Jesus was here referring to the sublime prophecy of Daniel ix. 24. That He might make an end of sin and bring in everlasting righteousness, it was essential that the Lamb of God should confess the sins of the people as his own (see Psa. lxix. 5). This was his first step on his journey to the Cross, every step of which was in fulfilment of all righteousness, in order that He might bring in everlasting righteousness.

Any thoughts on the above article?

Blessings

2020/8/21 22:55Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jade,

Thanks for this article. It is very interesting -- and a great thing to ponder!

I'll add something else: I've often wondered about communion. In many churches (especially those of high church traditions), communion is something of a rite or ceremonial ritual. In other churches, it is a formal symbol or sacrament.

In any case, I've often wondered whether or not it was intended to be a symbol via a Passover celebration.

I attended one congregation that had communion just once per year -- and it was a relaxed meal that culminated in the breaking of unleavened bread and the fruit of the vine. It was similar to the Passover Seder (in which the type and shadow of Christ as the sacrificial lamb who gives his body and blood for us is very evident).

In most modern churches, communion is celebrated weekly or monthly.

I was going to write a question here on SermonIndex about this way back when I was in college. At the time, I would attend the Passover Seder with other Messianic believers. I have always been interested in how other believers celebrate this -- and whether or not they see it as an ordinance or something else.

2020/8/22 1:09Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Communion

Hi Christopher,

Quote:
I've often wondered about communion. In many churches (especially those of high church traditions), communion is something of a rite or ceremonial ritual. In other churches, it is a formal symbol or sacrament.

I do not see the communion as a ritual or symbol.

Our Lord Jesus said of the communion: “Do this in remembrance of Me" (Luke 22:19, 1 Cor. 11:24-25).

DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME.

How we forget Him!

We forget that grace and truth has come through Jesus Christ and OUT OF HIS FULLNESS we receive GRACE upon GRACE (John 1:16-17).

We forget the New Covenant.

Heb. 10:14-18 –
For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.
And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us; for after saying,
"This is the covenant that I will make with them
After those days, says the LORD:
I will put My laws upon their heart,
And on their mind I will write them,"
He then says,
"And their sins and their lawless deeds
I will remember no more."

Ezek. 36:27 –
I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

We forget that that we are in Him and He in us (John 14:20) and apart from Him we can do nothing.

John 6:56 –
He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

John 15:4-5 –
Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.

We forget the glory of Christ in us (Col. 1:27).

We forget that His steadfast love is great to the heavens and His faithfulness to the clouds (Ps.57:10) and we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loves us.

Rom. 8:35-36 –
Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? …… But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.

In difficult times, we see the giants of our cares, or troubles, or sins, or sorrows and see ourselves helpless as grasshoppers and forget that He is our Mighty Saviour, our Strength, our Rock, our Fortress, our Deliverer, our Refuge, our Shield, our Stronghold, our Peace, our Rest.

And how often in our prosperity we become proud and forget the Lord and go astray and cease to abide in Him.

Quote:
I attended one congregation that had communion just once per year -- and it was a relaxed meal that culminated in the breaking of unleavened bread and the fruit of the vine. It was similar to the Passover Seder (in which the type and shadow of Christ as the sacrificial lamb who gives his body and blood for us is very evident).

In most modern churches, communion is celebrated weekly or monthly.

The communion may be held as often as we like (1 Cor. 11:26).

Also, just as Christ’s one offering far, far, surpasses all OT animal sacrifices, so I see Christ’s incomparable banquet hall far, far surpassing all OT feasts. His riches are unsearchable.

Last thought:

Ps. 51:6 –
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.

May the Lord not say to us:

Isa. 1:11-17 –
“What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?”
Says the LORD.
“I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
And the fat of fed cattle;
And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats.
“When you come to appear before Me,
Who requires of you this trampling of My courts?
“Bring your worthless offerings no longer,
Incense is an abomination to Me.
New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly.
“I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts,
They have become a burden to Me;
I am weary of bearing them.
“So when you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Yes, even though you multiply prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are covered with blood.
“Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.”

Micah 6:6-8 –
With what shall I come to the LORD
And bow myself before the God on high?
Shall I come to Him with burnt offerings,
With yearling calves?
Does the LORD take delight in thousands of rams,
In ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I present my firstborn for my rebellious acts,
The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has told you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice, to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God?

Blessings

2020/8/23 11:58Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jade,

Thanks for the great points! I agree that communion shouldn't be a ritual. It should be, well, communion with our Lord. Unfortunately, there are so many churches that turn it into a ritual -- a "form."

This is why I am always interested in the various ways in which churches partake in this.

Thank you for the great reminders from Scripture.

2020/8/23 12:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy