SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : News: Google is quietly working on "smart tattoos" called "SkinMarks"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

News: Google is quietly working on "smart tattoos" called "SkinMarks"

As if we needed something else to serve as a "sign of the times..."

https://www.techradar.com/news/google-skinmarks-could-turn-our-bodies-into-a-touchpad-using-high-tech-tattoos

https://www.business-standard.com/article/technology/google-working-on-smart-tattoos-that-turn-skin-into-living-touchpad-120072700188_1.html

https://research.google.com/pubs/archive/46726.pdf

GOOGLE WORKING ON SMART TATTOS THAT TURN SKIN INTO A LIVING TOUCHPAD
Business Standard
27 July 2020

Google is working on smart tattoos that, when applied to skin, will transform the human body into a living touchpad via embedded sensors.

Part of Google Research, the wearable project is called "SkinMarks" that uses rub-on tattoos.

The project is an effort to create the next generation of wearable technology devices, the CNET reported citing white papers and demo videos,

Here's how the technology works:

The sensor-driven tattoos are applied to a part of the body.

The sensors can then be triggered by traditional touch or swipe gestures, like we perform on smartphones.

There are a few gestures that are more specific to working on the skin's surface.

"You could squeeze the area around the tattoo or bend your fingers or limbs to activate the sensors".

The researchers at Saarland University in Germany wrote in a white paper that the benefit of using skin as an interface "is tapping into the fine motor skills that human beings naturally have".

The project is partly funded through Google Faculty Research Awards.

Interacting with your own skin and limbs also means you can do it without looking.

The tattoos are made by screen printing conductive ink onto tattoo paper.

Some of the prototype tattoos include cartoon drawings or light up displays.

"Through a vastly reduced tattoo thickness and increased stretchability, a 'SkinMark' is sufficiently thin and flexible to conform to irregular geometry, like flexure lines and protruding bones," the researchers wrote.

2020/7/28 0:07Profile
wildhorse86

Re: News: Google is quietly working on "smart tattoos" called "SkinMar

You will be assimilated, Resistance is futile.

Jokes and sci-fi references aside, this is disturbing. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

2020/7/28 10:40Profile
savannah

Re: News: Google is quietly working on "smart tattoos" called "SkinMar

Christopher,

How would you say that this serves as a "sign of the times..."

You placed quotation marks as if to say you are connecting these things (articles) with scripture.

What connection are you making with the verse in the Bible which uses these words? If indeed that's what you had in mind.

2020/7/31 19:44Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi savannah,

I was using the term "sign of the times" as a colloquial expression rather than indicative of a specific "sign" from the Bible.

At the same time, I do think that this is interesting in that it could be anecdotal to the passage in Revelation 13 about a mark that people will be forced to receive.

Quote:

"And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six.

Revelation 13:16-18 NASB

Obviously, there is much debate about what this passage is referring to. Some would argue that it isn't a physical mark. Others would argue that it was an event in the past. Still others argue that this is, literally, a physical mark.

On a personal note: I don't know with any absolute certainty what the "mark" in this passage refers to. However, I do think that there is a strong possibility that this is a physical mark of some sort -- namely because of the specification in where (physically) it should be placed, in what that marks provides access to (buying and selling) and how it limits those who do not have that mark.

This is why I find things like a "SkinMark" to be interesting. If you read various articles about it, one of the things that it can potentially do is allow people to make purchases. In essence, it would be able to utilize things ApplePay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay accessible via the (Skin)Mark.

Now, I am NOT saying that this is what we're seeing here.

I am not saying that the "SkinMark" is THE "Mark" of the Beast. I am just saying that this type of technology is quite interesting when it comes to a discussion about the Mark described in Revelation chapter 13 -- especially when it comes to literal and physical interpretations of the passage.

I am always cautious when I hear all of the would-be prophets of eschatology interpreting the book of Revelation for everyone else. I think that it is good to be skeptical when something isn't entirely clear from the Scriptures.

This is why I have said in the past that I have no problem saying that I don't know with absolute certainty just how the end will come about. I'm still fine with listening to many different views -- as long as I understand that those views come from a decidedly human (and, as such, flawed) perspective.

I hope that this clarifies what I meant.

2020/8/1 0:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy