SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God doesn't need worship or praise

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Logic

God doesn't need worship or praise

God doesn't need worship or praise, but we need to do it. What is worship and what is praise? Worship is what we do with our lives and praise is what we do with our mouth. We must do every thing to the glory of the lord, so our whole life should be worship and giving him praise.

When we sing “I give glory to the Lord", is it praise just by saying that I do? No. Or when we sing certain Psalms like, Psalm 29 which says "Give unto the Lord, all ye mighty, give unto the Lord Power and strength. Give unto the Lord the glory due His name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness. The voice of the Lord is full of majesty". That isn't praise either. That is actually a song about worship and praise and it encourages us to do so.

Then what is praise? Praise is like when you say to your wife, "you are so beautiful", or "you do that very well" to your children. But like I said, God doesn't need this. Then why do it? Because, Praise is for the reason of bringing our thoughts and attitude into the right perspective and helps us to meditate on God and His word.
We need to attribute all our life to God.

When we worship, it shows us that we need to have a goal and purpose to our life, and worship keeps our life in the right perspective. Otherwise our whole out-look will be out of focus, God is the only One worthy of all of this.

2005/7/18 20:54Profile
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re: God doesn't need worship or praise

Without offending you, how long have you been a Christian?? When I was going on my 5th year, as a rocker, who played in a few bands, 3 being christian progressive rock, I thought this would be cool to write songs and worship God. Advanced foward---20 years later. I now worship the Lord, using all my abilities, I have no desire to play outside of His Sanctuary. I certainly have experienced the relationship between God and His people during intense worship. I have found many times the Lord inhabits the Praises of His people, not because we need it , but He desires our Worship! God Delights in our Praises, He in turn pours out His Spirit--for fellowship. When you go deeper, you will find its--Union! Any way you look at it, He will bring you where He wants you :-)

2005/7/18 21:38Profile
Logic

Re: God doesn't need Praise and Worship

:) You must know this, God doesn't [u]need[/u] anything, HE is self sustaining. if he [u]needed[/u] our praise and worship , He wouldnt be big enough for our praise and worship. :)

I Agree with all this God certainly does inhabit the Praises of His people, not because we need it , and HE does desire our Worship! God Delights in our Praises, He in turn pours out His Spirit--for fellowship. When you go deeper, you will find its--Union! Any way you look at it, He will bring you where He wants you But my main point still stands.

2005/7/18 21:47Profile

Re: God doesn't need worship or praise

Quote:
when we sing certain Psalms like, Psalm 29 which says "Give unto the Lord, all ye mighty, give unto the Lord Power and strength. Give unto the Lord the glory due His name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness. The voice of the Lord is full of majesty". That isn't praise either. That is actually a song about worship and praise and it encourages us to do so.

There is more to it than that, though. You'll find that if you use the word of God from the Bible through which to worship and praise the Lord, it is a particular blessing which has a certain freedom and bestows a certain freedom to be caught up to God.

There are also songs which are rather person oriented - too much about 'I' and 'my' attitude to God - and not enough about Him and towards Him. Although these songs can be given life by the Holy Spirit, they aren't as effective in bringing you into the presence of the Lord, as a Bible word or psalm.

Lastly though, God delights in [i]your[/i] totally unique and original praise and worship, regardless of the 'I's. As long as you are available to be in His presence and you don't even know if your feet are still on the ground, this works. As we worship Him genuinely, He is able to do things in us which will never happen any other time, regardless of our wishing or asking. In this respect, God does need your praise and worship, to bless you through it.

2005/7/18 21:56
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Logic,

I know where you are coming from, but I think you are promoting it rather strangely. With the number of times "praise" and "sing" are in the Psalms alone, it is clear God that commands us to. True it is that God doesn't need anything from us, nor does He need us at all. However, that is not the message of His Word.

Psalm 47:6: "Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises." Did He mention to sing praises?

2005/7/18 21:59Profile
TiltedHalo

Brooklyn, USA

Re:

":) You must know this, God doesn't need anything, HE is self sustaining. if he needed our praise and worship , He wouldnt be big enough for our praise and worship. :)"

You are correct. But I would go as far as stating that without a shadow of a doubt He desires our praises & worship more than anything else in the vastness of this world beyond our human world. Nothing more than fellowship driven by a perfect love is His goal. Why would Jesus die that horrendous death on that hill of Calvary? So I can even stretch it that in a sense ... IN A SENSE ... He needs our praise & worship, as much as we need to hear "Son [Daughter] I am here for you, your Wonderful Counselor ... He needs to hear ... Father, I am here for YOU.

In His Name

2005/7/18 22:00Profile
Logic

Re: HE does not need a thing from us!

I agree that He enjoys us and it pleases HIM and HE wants and Commands our praise and worship, but HE does not need a thing from us.

2005/7/18 22:08Profile
TiltedHalo

Brooklyn, USA

Re:

Quote:

Logic wrote:
I agree that He enjoys us and it pleases HIM and HE wants and Commands our praise and worship, but HE does not need a thing from us.

Hm ... I don't know Logic. Fellowship is far deeper than adoration. Fellowship is a much deeper understanding than our human intelect can fathom with Abba. I wouldn't say He doesn't need our fellowship in accordance to His perfect will.

2005/7/18 22:18Profile
dohzman

It must be noted

Joh 4:23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such to worship Him.

Jesus' own words, The Father seeks such to worship Him. Sounds like He does need our worship, but I am also mindful that God is complete in Himself and in need of nothing.A perfect God would desire nothing more than to share His perfections with His creation, and He has chosen praise and worship as an instrument to do so.

2005/7/19 0:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:

1 GOD, of good the unfathomed sea!
Who would not give his heart to thee?
Who would not love thee with his might?
O Jesu, lover of mankind,
Who would not his whole soul and mind,
With all his strength, to thee unite?

2 Thou shin'st with everlasting rays;
Before the insufferable blaze
Angels with both Wings veil their eyes;
Yet free as air thy bounty streams
On all thy works; thy mercy's beams
Diffusive as thy sun's arise.