SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Seeking Jesus, Knowing His will.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Logic

Seeking Jesus, Knowing His will.

We all know that the Bible is Gods Word to us in all things. Jesus is the Word, John1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2. He was in the beginning with God.” What ever God will give us, He has already given to us in His Son. So then if you ask for guidance, you can find it in Jesus. These are two of my favorite verses that show how the Bible is the way for Spiritual guidance. Psalms 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Pr 6:23 “For the commandment is a lamp, And the law a light; Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.”
Many people are seeking God and they have no idea how to seek for Him. Many Christians use their feelings to base their knowledge of God on. They will say, “I feel God in this place or I feel that God is telling me this and that.” God never intended for us to use our senses to confirm spiritual things, 2Corinth. 5:7 “for we walk by faith, not by sight.” in this verse “by sight” represents our senses or walking by the flesh. The bible tells about sensual people: James 3:15 This wisdom descends not from above, but [is] earthly, sensual, devilish. And Jude 1:19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. As in the Old Testament, The Holy Oil used for anointing represents the Holy Spirit. Exodus 30:31 and say to the children of Israel, This is to be the Lord's holy oil, from generation to generation. 32. It is not to be used for man's flesh, and no other is to be made like it: holy it is, and you are to keep it holy. Psalm 133:2 the precious ointment upon the head, running down upon the beard, running down upon the beard of Aaron, running down upon the hem of his garment," The Oil never touched his skin (flesh), and he was the high priest.
Some Christians also seek God’s will and guidance by doing everything but read His Word. They will fast and pray for a “word” from God and hope to hear from him, they will ask all there friends for an opinion with out even opening the Bible. They will follow there heart, thinking that their heart is the source of spiritual direction. We must always remember that our hart is the last thing we should rely on. Jeremiah 17:9" The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; who can understand it?”
Most people actually guess on Gods will. They will say, maybe God wants this or that and they go on and do what God maybe had said. Or they look for things and say, “Maybe it’s a sign from God.” Some People also use the thing that they read in the Bible and use that to guide them, Like in Acts 1:26 “And they cast their lots (drew straws or rolled dice), and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.” In other words they put it to the decision of chance.
Or they might read Judges 6:37-40 “See, I will put the wool of a sheep on the grain-floor; if there is dew on the wool only, while all the earth is dry, then I will be certain that it is your purpose to give Israel salvation by my hand as you have said. 38 And it was so: for he got up early on the morning after, and twisting the wool in his hands, he got a basin full of water from the dew on the wool. 39 Then Gideon said to God, Do not be moved to wrath against me if I say only this: let me make one more test with the wool; let the wool now be dry, while the earth is covered with dew. 40 And that night God did so; for the wool was dry, and there was dew on all the earth round it.” This is an unwise way to live your Christian life. These things were done at times when the Holy Spirit was not given accept on Kings, Prophets, and High Priests. Normal people did not the Holy Spirit to guide them. So if there is any doubt at all, it is best to keep doing what you are already doing and trust that God will direct your paths without your guesses. It is like you steering a parked car, it can’t be done, for it must be moving. Psalm 37:23 “The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD: and he delights in his way.” And remember Proverbs 3:5 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not unto your own understanding. 6: In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
There is a great passage in the Bible that talks about seeking and finding Jesus in the book of Luke 2:44 “Thinking that he was with their fellow-travelers, they went one day's journey before searching for him among their relations and acquaintances; 45: And then, as they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, searching everywhere for him. 46: It was not till the third day that they found him in the Temple Courts, sitting among the Teachers, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 47: All who listened to him marveled at his intelligence and his answers. 48: And when they saw him, they were astonished; and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? Behold, thy father and I looked for you greatly distressed. 49: And He said to them, why did you look for Me? Do you not know that I must be about My Father's business?
When you are seeking for guidance or God’s will in your life put yourself in His parents place in this text. Like you, they were seeking Jesus. Look at the conclusion of the text. They found Him in the temple in verse 48 and 49. His parents were looking everywhere among their relations and acquaintances then they returned to Jerusalem, searching everywhere for him. Jesus’ answer is the most revealing thing about finding Him. He said in verse 49 "Do you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" So, remember that when you are seeking Jesus, all you must do is to be where He is and do the things that pertain to our Fathers’ business.
You might think that what I choose to do is not His perfect will or I am presuming on God and doing my own thing. Remember that when we were not Christian, our desires were our own and were selfish. When I became saved, my desires turned from my own desires to God’s and unselfish. Before I was saved I never desired to do anything with God but now my desires are only with Him and for His glory. Philippians 2:13 “For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him.” God wants His values and HIS desires to become ours. HE wants our life and our actions to reflect or be replaced by His. Before we are save our minds are reprobate Romans 1:28 “And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting.” but when we become saved we receive the mind of Christ. 1Corinth. 2:16 "For who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ."
There might be times that you just don't know what to do. It is when God seems to be silent for some reason. You don’t think you can keep doing what you are already doing for any reason and trust that God will direct your paths. You might be at a cross road, a dead end, or you are afraid to move forward in any decision. In these times give yourself to the lord in submission and full Faith. You must trust God that He is good and He will guide you through this time of indecision. Always remember that what ever the outcome is, even if it is unfavorable, it is His perfect will if you do everything in righteousness.
When these times come, remember the cross. The cross is where we find the difference between His will and ours. Some people have asked, “What does the cross actually mean?” A good way to think about what the cross means is that no one can stay alive being crucified on the cross; you will die if you stay hanging on the cross. Just like in real life, we must die daily carrying our cross. The cross is actually were GOD wants us. It means not your own will or your own life but God's life in you. Luke 17:33 “If anyone makes an attempt to keep his life, it will be taken from him, but if anyone gives up his life, he will keep it.” The word life in Greek is translated as your soul, your will, your mind, or your self. So then our life is not our own but the Lords. He is responsible for what ever the outcome of your circumstances. In light of all this, remember, Psalm 32:8 “I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will counsel thee with mine eye upon thee.” You know that if you guide with your eyes, the person that you are guiding must be looking at you to follow your eye.
As you seek to know Gods guidance and His will, you should always be reading His Word and be watchful in prayer. Prayer is when you commune with God. There is different ways to commune with Him. You may converse by asking questions and He will respond by bringing to your mind verses and aspects of His character. You may even present arguments to Him like Moses did on behalf of Israel in Exodus 32:11-14. The arguments need to be based on His word and His ways. Why should He do something that you ask? For example: Present the argument that it would glorify Him in certain ways by giving a testimony of one or more of His attributes or by giving you a chance to be a witness in ways that couldn't be done by any other way but by Him answering your prayer in a yes answer. You may also argue that it will benefit His Church or a body of it, or just one person. This not only sways Gods heart, it confirms your thoughts and strengthens your faith. But remember that God does not bargain with you in prayer, to negotiate over the terms of an agreement or agree to certain terms or conditions. He will have it Hs way.
Remember, in all this, Balaam in these books of the Bible. He knew the will of God in what he should do but he still prayed for his own will. God let him go and do his own will at a price. Numbers 22 & 23, & 2 Peter 2:15 ” Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam [the son] of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;”, Jude 1:11 ” Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.”, Revelation 2:14 “But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.”,
In all this adherence to God’s Word, is there any way for me to move God’s Heart for my cause? How can I really persuade God in my Prayers? Remember Song of Solomon 4:9 “You have taken away my heart, my sister, my bride; you have taken away my heart, with one look you have taken it, with one chain of your neck!” In this verse you can move Gods heart with one look. That look is when we look to Him in our life in prayer. As with the chain of your neck, it is our will submitting to his Law. Prov. 1:8 “my son, hear the instruction of thy father, And forsake not the law of thy mother, 9: for they shall be a graceful ornament on your head, and chains about thy neck. 6:20 My son, keep your father's command, And do not forsake the law of your mother: 21 Bind them continually upon your heart; Tie them around your neck.” Your neck represents your will as when God called the Children of Israel a “stiff necked People” Exodus 32:9 And the LORD said to Moses, "I have seen this people, and indeed it is a stiff-necked people! He was saying they were stubborn willed
Seeking Jesus & knowing His will is not only something that we do every once in a while when we think that we need it. It is a daily practice, through out the entire day. 1Thes. 5:17 pray without ceasing. Though we cannot literally fulfill this verse, we can continually be in the presence of the Holy One with prayerful attitude, consciously knowing that He is with us.

2005/7/18 20:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy