SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Authentic Christianity, testimony of a failure

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: David Pawson

I can whole heartedly agree with Davis Pawson being an outstanding Bible teacher- only discovered him last year and he has already had an enormous impact on my spiritual growth helping me to understand much of the nuance in very simple terms.
His exposition of the book of Hebrews is as good as it gets 🙏🏻
Several of his statements are worthy of quotes but I’ve found them to be so intimate, so personal that to attempt to capture the statement in quotes would somehow cheapen it, as if to only capture the husk and not the life contained in it ~

2020/4/29 17:51Profile
Ianb

England

Re:

Thanks guys
I will read start looking at some of his material

2020/4/30 3:01Profile

Re:

I always intended but never made it to Earley, but I know some folks who were envolved with them.

2020/5/28 8:18
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Luke 18:9-14 New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

I would rather have someone who thinks they are a mess as we are all sinners saved by grace and I think I am more than anyone

I am so humbled by your testimony I have been trying to find the quote I think from Charles Wesley who said I am sinner saved by grace on his death bed

We have to go through sanctification constantly until we die and are glorified

I think the more I grew in the lord I realise that I am greater sinner and need Jesus more

I love pilgrims progress where it talks in the interpreters house where there are lots of soldiers protecting the heavenly city and he has to constantly battle to get into the heavenly kingdom

I think my life would be testimony of a failure but I love pilgrims progress where it talks about great heart

I think I saw David pawson at one church where he gave a talk on convenants

2020/5/29 16:48Profile
Ianb

England

Re:

Thanks for the encouragement Dominic

Pilgrims progress is such a wonder. I think its about time I read it through again.

Though I know there is very much reaping of what has been sown, I am also confident that Isaiah 30 could have been written for me. The Lord is bringing me down and to an end of myself for his own glory and purpose.

Isa. 30

15 For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel;
In returning and rest shall ye be saved;
in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength:
and ye would not.
16 But ye said, No; for we will flee upon horses;
therefore shall ye flee:
and, We will ride upon the swift;
therefore shall they that pursue you be swift.
17 One thousand shall flee at the rebuke of one;
at the rebuke of five shall ye flee:
till ye be left as a beacon upon the top of a mountain,
and as an ensign on an hill.
18 And therefore will the Lord wait,
that he may be gracious unto you,
and therefore will he be exalted,
that he may have mercy upon you:
for the Lord is a God of judgment:

Let us hold fast our profession in the face of all contradiction 'Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world'

2020/6/4 16:29Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

I was in a lot of failure as well. I was waiting for another infilling from the Lord but it didn't come.
I waited twenty years and didn't treat others nice in that time. I was enslaved to sexual thoughts too.

It was when I came to a place in my life where I thought my life would end that I asked the Lord if he would give me two months to live so i could get myself right and repent before going to be judged
by Him.

I now started to listen to the constant conviction of the Lord which I had always set aside as I didn't understand it, how the Lord could expect me to change and fulfill His requests.

I now began to reject the temptation of my sexual thoughts / temptations. And I rejected the chance to enjoy the pleasure of sin in my mind. I was addicted to that life from childhood.

I didn't know this but in now obeying the Lord like this I was putting into practice the verse "Take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" And you will "be transformed by the renewing of your mind."
I did this day and night and after some weeks I began to sense the sin losing its control over me.
I still remember the sensation inside me that I was getting the victory.
It was the middle of the night and I was praying out on some hills near here.

This spurred me on and I felt the Lord drawing closer to me constantly and having fellowship with me.

The Lord opened my eyes to the scriptures and the wrongness of the teaching that we need to be filled with God before we can take our thoughts captive and follow His leading to repent.

I can honestly say that if we aren't denying our flesh to deny sin and aren't disciplining our mind we will never be mature in this world. It isn't possible.

The teaching about it being necessary to be filled with the spirit before we can obey God isn't right.

I am still alive and the Lord let me live after I showed him my willingness to lay down my old life in this way. And i have received favour and no more disasters have come my way.
And he has kept speaking into my heart that He loves me.

The Lord has now begun teaching me about living in His grace more.

2020/6/8 8:36Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi David,

Good testimony.

I argued with you on this before but now I will just say that God does not work according to our theology but according to our will and heart.

2 Chr. 15:2,4 –
……the LORD is with you when you are with Him. And if you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you……But in their distress they turned to the LORD God of Israel, and they sought Him, and He let them find Him.

2 Chr. 16:9 –
For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.

If we long for God and earnestly seek Him, God meets us with grace upon grace and gives us His Holy Spirit to lead us to victory in Christ (Rom. 8:13-14).

This is also my prayer in trouble:

2 Chr. 14:11 –
"LORD, there is no one besides You to help in the battle between the powerful and those who have no strength; so help us, O LORD our God, for we trust in You, and in Your name have come against this multitude. O LORD, You are our God; let not man prevail against You."

Blessings.

2020/6/8 11:32Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi David,

This is why the Gospel is for Christians also. We live in the Epistles, and only once we are truly established in the teaching of the apostles, faith in Jesus Christ being the foundation, will we begin to understand that Christ IS our Life.Then we can also begin interpreting the rest of scripture correctly, looking back at the Cross of Christ and what HAS ALREADY been accomplished.

On that foundation of grace through faith, we can begin to build a victorious christian life in practice.

Thank God for His grace!

Blessings,

2020/6/10 3:59Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Hi William, I am sorry I didn't really understand your post. Maybe you are going along with what Jade has said.

To me, through my experience I believe the Lord showed me things in the scriptures and opened them up to me that I had been blind to what God really wants from us.

Jesus didn't come to primarily establish, living by faith through grace.

Many upon reading that will be howling with laughter.

But he came to teach the hard road. the narrow way. Few there will be that find that path. because it's hidden from sight from those that haven't plundered their own wicked heart.
Just as the Jews only had scales removed from their eyes once they turned to follow Christ as Messiah, so also those that keep to that strict line of obeying the Lord will have the same scales removed that most of Christendom isn't right before God.

John Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress is based upon a revelation he had of his dire state. He was told to flee his family because they would try to haul him back to a life of being complacent over sin.

We have to flee from ourselves also. The human condition is capable of such complacency over languishing in their sinful state that they are a danger to themselves and eternal destiny and progress with God.

Paul said we are being saved. That means we are being saved out of the world and it's sinful ways so that we wont be condemned with the world. So we need to repent daily end keep sin under us. By disciplining ourselves. And gaining victory over stubborn sins.

I'm not having a preach at you. I am wanting to share what God has shown me so others can escape the corruption of the world and truly get right with God. That's partly why I share things sometimes.

Obviously there are seasons we go through. Seasons where we have to fall back on grace to receive life from the Lord. And seasons where we thrust ourselves into a full unfaltering war like state to get full obedience and victory over sin.

If my people will humble themselves and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear you from heaven. says the Lord.

2020/6/10 6:54Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi David,

Not at all, brother, have at it.
I did not read the whole string of posts but merely read through yours quickly and your last sentence saying you are learning to live in His grace more.
The gospel is the gospel of grace, isn't it?

We all come from different church movements etc and often the gospel of grace was not purely taught and expounded as by Paul especially, in all his epistles. Instead they were often mixed with teachings of men, tradition and self effort.

Quite often, the Lord allows us to strive against sin by our own efforts (Romans 7) until, after failing again and again and bearing the burdens of guilt and shame, we encounter the reality of the end of Romans 7 and start of Romans 8:" Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Where Jesus says in the gospels:'Deny yourself, take up your cross daily and follow me" Paul, in this new life in the Holy Spirit, puts it like this:" therefore, reckon yourself dead to sin and alive unto God" and " walk by the Spirit and you will not fulfil the lust of the flesh"

As earnest as our intentions may be, no amount of striving or contending by self effort will bring us the victory. That is like trying to achieve Christlike righteousness by obedience to the Law. The answer to overcoming is indeed grace, through faith. It is not in our striving but in understanding what Christ has already accomplished on the cross, for us and in us who have believed on Him.

As amazing as the words of our Lord Jesus are, they are revealed and clarified through the apostles after His resurrection and the coming of the Spirit. That is why I said we now "live" in the epistles.

May I humbly suggest a earnest reading, with attention and the help of the Spirit, the epistle to the Ephesians and together with it the little book by Watchman Nee called: Sit,Walk,Stand which I found very instructive.
Other books that helped me gain victory by faith are by Andrew Murray: Absolute Surrender and, Humility

"Those who are led by the Spirit, they are the sons of God!"

God bless,

2020/6/10 9:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy