SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The wedding vows of the Bride

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
CofG

Cambodia

The wedding vows of the Bride

I recognize there are many different interpretations of what God is saying or has to say through this difficult time. It is obviously critical to know what He is saying and oftentimes there can be a multitude of things He is saying or addressing in many different lives and contexts. It is very likely that there may be a message that is universal and at the same time a very specific and perhaps different message to each individual.

I would like to suggest that there is also a message we can speak to ourselves without God having to utter a word. Here is a Bible verse that I think is the plumb line to the soul that reveals the heart of the believer whether he finds himself in want or plenty and I mean that in physical, economic, emotional or spiritual terms.

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. - Psalm 73:25"

The Psalmist is able to speak this heart truth from the depths of his soul with sincerity to himself and to Jesus. It is the ultimate secret to contentment, thankfulness and joy in the midst of good times and bad.

The situation is that bad, uncertain and disruptive times reveal whether this vow of devotion is something we say with our lips only. Times such as these reveal our hearts to ourselves. Of course God already knows whether this expression is truly a reality to our heart or just a concept we agree with. This time is universally a revelation to us of the reality of devotion in our hearts.

What is each of our hearts saying to us through these times? Is our fear of loss in any aspect of our lives dominating our hearts in such a way that we see in ourselves that we have fallen short of the ideal of being able to say "there is nothing on earth I desire compared to you". Of course there are always moments of fear or anxiousness about many concerns but is the trajectory of our heart the reality that Jesus satisfies my every need in and of himself whether in sickness or in health, in riches or in poverty, in life or in death. That is and must be the Bride of Christ's heart. It is the essence of being in love with Jesus. It is the difference between Jesus being the means to acquire what we really want or is HE what we want. If I have Him and only Him, it is enough.

Difficult times are when our hearts tell us whether Jesus is really enough.

Lest any think this kind of heart is only for the mature, Jesus said the kingdom is like a man who found a treasure in a field who joyfully sold all he possessed in the world so he could acquire that field and have that treasure. He suffered the loss of all things with joy for the surpassing value of knowing and possessing his treasure in life. All other treasures most valued by the world were nothing compared to the surpassing value of union and communion with Jesus. That is the true devotion of the Bride of Christ and it sounds clearest and most real and rings most true in times of loss.

2020/4/8 9:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy