SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : THE SABBATH COMMANDMENT - My Personal Testimony

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
Heb 4:1-11 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. (2) For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. (3) For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. (4) For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, [b]And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.[/b]*(Exodus 20:11) (5) And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. (6) Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: (7) Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today, after so long a time; as it is said, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. (8) For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. (9) There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. (10) For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. (11) Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

The rest that a Christian is commanded to enter into is his faith in Christ according to Hebrews Ch.4 which equates the "rest" of faith with ceasing from work on a Sabbath day (sabbath means rest from labor according to Barnes notes). Matt. 12:8 declares that Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath. What could be more hallowed than resting from trying to acheive righteousness on our own and trusting in the completed work of God? The Sabbath is no longer a day then but a person and that is Jesus Christ the author and FINISHER of our faith.

2005/7/19 10:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Lahry,

I think you mistakingly confuse keeping the Sabbath as part of God's moral law. Such never was the case though. Just because it is in the 10 commandments doesn't make it moral law. Sabbath observance was part of the Old Covenant, which has been fulfilled by Christ. The command to observe the Sabbath cannot be divorced (as a previous post showed) apart from the other Sabbaths. It, like circumcision, served as a sign of the covenant for the Jew.

I need no more keep the Sabbath than to circumcise any future male descendants of mine on the 8th day. For the realization of circumcision was made manifest in Christ. So was the realization of the Sabbath.

I find it interesting that all these arguments for Sabbath observation have yet to deal with anything Paul actually said about observing days, seasons, and years, etc. Let's please deal with what says the Scripture first.

God bless

2005/7/19 11:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
....discussions, I tell myself it is the last time. Yet here I am again, reading your posts and groaning in my spirit. Oh how I pray for revelation of the Holy Spirit to decend upon each of you about this matter of the Sabbath.

Lahry
have you given thought to the context of the 10 commandments? Ex. 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Ex. 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. It was to Israel uniquely that God revealed Himself as Jehovah (LORD). This was how He introduced Himself and His will to Moses in Exodus 6 “And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, [b]I am Jehovah[/b]: and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty; but by my name Jehovah I was not known to them. And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their sojournings, wherein they sojourned. And moreover I have heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant. Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am Jehovah, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm, and with great judgments: and I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God; and ye shall know that [b]I am Jehovah[/b] your God, who bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. And I will bring you in unto the land which I sware to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for a heritage: [b]I am Jehovah[/b].” (Ex. 6:2-8, ASV)Jehovah was uniquely the God who delivered them from Egyptian bondage and undertook to bring them into their own land.

The commandments themselves reinforce the them of tenancy in the promised land; “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” (Ex. 20:12, KJVS) The 10 commandments (or Words) were the basis of a covenant between Jehovah and Israel and between the Israelites themselves. It is not insignificant that the name Jehovah never made it into the New Testament; it was uniquely the name by which God enjoined Himself to the people of Israel.

The commandments and the judgements are a local application of universal law. The exercise for us is to identify the universal law; the work of the law written in hearts of non-Israelites. I am sure that Hulsey is right in his identification of the universal truth which lay behind the covenant conditions given by Jehovah to Israel.

2005/7/19 11:33Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Here are just some thoughts:

God worked six days then rested on the seventh. That was way before Moses, the Law, and even Abraham.

The Sabbath commandment is the ONLY commandment that says: [b]"REMEMBER"[/b]!

The Sabbath was made for us, not us for the Sabbath. God made it for us! Just like he made many other rules [u]for us[/u].

The apostles did not ignore the Sabbath day either. All throughout Acts they meet together on the Sabbath. That's another reason we keep it, a day to fellowship with the body of Christ. If we all worked on and on, when could we assemble like this?

John had his vision on the Lord's day, didn't he?

2005/7/19 13:21Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

have you given thought to the context of the 10 commandments?

Ex. 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Ex. 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Indeed, many constantly forget this context. Paul clearly identifies the Old Covenant Law as including the Ten Commandments in Romans 7:7. Many mistake the ten commandments as universal law (though I don't deny there are universal laws in them), when in fact, they are simply part of the rest of the Mosaic legislation.

2005/7/19 13:47Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

God worked six days then rested on the seventh. That was way before Moses, the Law, and even Abraham.

Indeed, but God never commanded the observation of the Sabbath until the Exodus.

Quote:

The apostles did not ignore the Sabbath day either. All throughout Acts they meet together on the Sabbath. That's another reason we keep it, a day to fellowship with the body of Christ.

This is totally false. In Acts the only time the Scriptures mention the apostles doing anything on the Sabbath is going to the synagogue to evangelize, not to fellowship. Instead, the early church met "day by day" (Acts 2:46). Indeed, they seem to have had used "the first day of the week" (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor 16:2) as a special gathering.

Quote:

If we all worked on and on, when could we assemble like this?

The early church met every day in the Jerusalem Church, and they had to work- probably much more than we do even today. The apostle Paul had time to break away from his trade to teach day by day in the Synagogue's (when gathered) as well as daily in the market-place (Acts 17:17)

Quote:

John had his vision on the Lord's day, didn't he?

The Scriptures never use the term, "the Lord's day" save in Rev 1:10. Being that John's Revelation is highly submerged with Old Testament terminology, it seems likely he would have simply said "the Sabbath" instead of using an ambigous term. It's possible that John had in mind the Sabbath, but it is as equally as likely he had in mind the first day of the week. Either way, it cannot be proven.

Even so, does it matter what day of the week John had his vision on? It would seem that whenever John had his visions and recorded Revelation, he was alone.

2005/7/19 14:07Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: My Personal Testimony

Since one told their personal testimony regarding the Sabbath, I'll tell mine.

Shortly after I became a Christian, I became persuaded by some to keep the Sabbath and other Old Testament days. But, for some reason, it just never felt right. No matter how much I was persuaded and determined, I could just not find myself to be motivated to keep them from the heart. Then the Lord showed me through personal revelation as well as the Scriptures that He has not called me to observe such days, which is why it was not upon my heart to observe them.

Ever since then, I have walked in freedom from such ordinances. God did not write it upon my heart to keep the Sabbaths, tithe, and all the rest. Instead, He has written the New Covenant on my heart to observe all my days, and I do so with great zeal, motivated from a transformed heart which God has touched.

Amen!

2005/7/19 14:15Profile

Re:

Where on earth do carnal minded people get us such rediculous arguments?

Why do we call them the 10 Commandments? Why not the 9 commandments? Why bother at all? Who cares whether they can be put up in schools? Who cares whether they can be displayed on the doors of the Supreme Court? Why do "christians" make such a fuss when they "are not under the law"? Why put the heathen under law that we have no regard for ourselves? I mean is that hypocritical or what? Take the 10...or 9, or ever how many you choose and send them all to Israel. The law was made for them, not us. There are no laws or rules for Christian living, right? So why not just post a sign saying believe in Jesus and you shall be saved, turn out the light and all go on home? After all, it is so simple, there is really little or no need for discussion. Truth has become as individual a thing in church as it has outside the church. Rip out John 14 and other passages out of your bible. They are senseless according to the arguments here. In fact, you might just as well throw the whole bible out, because people believe what they want to believe, and add between the lines what they intend to try and convince others the bible says when it says no such thing. Does it really matter anyway? After all, there are no rules. ACCCKKKKKk!

ICABOD,

Lahry

2005/7/19 20:27
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Where on earth do carnal minded people get us such rediculous arguments?

At least us carnally minded people are using Scriptures to defend our position, and not long-winded rants that don't deal with the aforementioned Scriptures. I thought we were a people of the Book, right? I've yet to see any serious discussion regarding anything Paul said on the subject thus far, and I quoted more than enough verses for what Paul says about the Sabbath.

Quote:

There are no laws or rules for Christian living, right?

Contrary to popular anti-nomian teaching, there are many laws for Christian living. However, we are not under the Old Covenant, but the New Covenant.

1 Cor 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, [u]though not being without the law of God[/u] but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

2005/7/19 20:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Lahry wrote:

Quote:

ICABOD

Come now, let us be mature.

2005/7/19 20:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy