SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Importance Of Our Thoughts by A.W Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Importance Of Our Thoughts by A.W Tozer

I have been thinking recently about how important my thoughts are. I don’t have to do wrong to get under blistering conviction and repent. I can lose the fellowship of God and a sense of His presence and a sense of spirituality by just thinking wrong. God has been saying to me, “I dwell in your thoughts. Make your thoughts a sanctuary in which I can dwell. See to it.” You can’t do any- thing with your heart—that is too deep—but you can control your thoughts.
So I’ve been trying to make my thoughts right.

When I think of people who dislike me or whom I dislike, I have tried to think cheerfully and chari- tably about them, in order that God could dwell in my thoughts.

God won’t dwell in spiteful thoughts, polluted thoughts, lustful thoughts, covetous thoughts or prideful thoughts. He will only dwell in meek, pure, charitable, clean and loving thoughts. He will dwell in positive thoughts—even aggressive, fighting thoughts, if need be—but they must be pure thoughts, thoughts that are like God’s. God will dwell in them as a sanctuary. Your theology is your foundation. The super- structure is your spiritual experience built on that foundation. But the high bell towers where the carillons are—those are your thoughts. And if you keep those thoughts pure the chimes can be heard ringing out “Holy, Holy, Holy” on the morning air. Make your thoughts a sanctuary God can in- habit, and don’t let any of the rest of your life dis- honor God. See to it that not a foot of ground is unholy. See to it that every hour and every place is given over to God, and you will worship Him and He will accept it.

2020/2/3 12:55Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: The Importance Of Our Thoughts by A.W Tozer

I do believe our thoughts are a big part of our relationship with Jesus and help us in staying on the narrow way in fellowship with him And how we deny self and take up our cross. It does make you wonder why those who try to expound just living by grace never dare mention this part of our Christian walk. Because the Lord can become grieved by our thoughts.

2020/2/4 5:43Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Genesis 6:5...and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Philippians 4:8, Finally my brethren...think on these things.

2020/2/4 10:23Profile
cup

NOT "Positive Thinking"

I am - therefore I think.

1 Cor. 2:16. "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ."

Col. 3:1-4. "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."

Phi 4:7-8, "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

It is Jesus who actually dwells within us and we now have His mind. He is the SOURCE of our very thoughts. This is NOT the same thing as "positive thinking." First, most "positive thinking" leaves Jesus out of the picture. But even more, "positive thinking" places the weakness of human flesh as the "enemy". "Positive thinking" will drive a wedge between Jesus and you as you find yourself to be, and it will do so by redefining Jesus as some super-hero who does not know weakness.

Jesus Christ Himself is our thinker. These thoughts are not the result of self discipline or an attempt to somehow take control of our mind. The real question is Who is your source? Is Jesus Christ the only real source of your life or do you think you have a life separated from him? Remember that a carnal mind or a fleshly mind is one that the does not believe and embrace the fact the Christ is his only source.

2020/2/4 12:58Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

I can't debate on a post where Greg has posted. I have respect for him and what he does.

2020/2/5 5:32Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Amen
I just love A.W.Tozer and all the old writers they have been my spiritual fathers since my earthly dad passed when I was a young girl. The old writers walked with the LORD and I believe in Holiness unto HIM..

If we keep our minds on JESUS we will be in peace. Isa 26:3
I believe as a believer we must watch what we watch and listen to.. We need to be selective of our close associations.. I am thirsty for more of HIm and am rereading David Wilkerson's book Thirsty for more of JESUS.
We must stay in His word and watch what we listen to and study HIS word and keep it in our hearts so we will not sin against HIM. Its all about HIM.. Not us about How He wants us to live to act and represent HIM. I pray daily I am a good representative of HIM and if Im not I repent.. I ask HIM Daily to search me and convict me. THE HOLY SPIRIT IS HOLY.... wiLL HE WANT TO LAND ON US DAILY??
. A sister used to say we are the light and must remember the enemy will be negative and use anyone he can to take us off HIS path of Light..
One of A.w. Tozer quotes.'
"If we are alert enough to hear God's voice we must not content ourselves with merely 'believing it'... Commands are to be obeyed, and until we have obeyed them we have done exactly nothing at all about them. AND to have heard them and not obeyed them is indefinitely word that never to have heard them at all. A.W.Tozer

Just some thoughts
Blessings

2020/2/9 15:33Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and WE TAKE CAPTIVE EVERY THOUGHT to make it obedient to Christ.

Does anybody actually do this?
If so, how do you “take it captive” and also how do you “make it obey”...

2020/2/9 18:07Profile

Re:

In answer to JFW: a train travels down only one track at a time. If our minds are stayed on the Lord, if we are meditating upon His Word and seeking His face, we will be far less prone to entertain thoughts of personal revenge, various lusts, etc. When the temptation to dwell upon such things arises we have JESUS our high tower to run to. And this is not merely self-discipline, but the Holy Spirit Himself bears fruit in us, the last mentioned in Galatians 5:23 being temperance (self-control).

2020/2/10 6:11
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Alec

Good morning:)

That’s an interesting analogy, train/tracks...
so something struck me last year (sept/oct) as I was reading this passage; the writer seems to make this statement so “matter of factly” as if he fully expected his readers to have working knowledge/experience of this rather affirming statement of fact- as tho this was an elementary practice, not some esoteric advanced teaching but a practical practice of our faith. It’s (for me) as if he’s almost boasting of the fact they haven’t lost sight of the fundamentals and are still very much utilizing them as a basis of stabilization to the ends of maintaining a proper view of our dependence on Christ-

There are several more passages of scripture like this,... passages where the reader is expected to fully apprehend the charge laid before them by either command or example, yet I know of almost no one whom even concerns themselves with such “trivial” matters much less actually practices them or even takes them literally tho the writer seems to clearly intend that we do !?

Perhaps this is presumptuous on our part,... is it possible we are all mostly “Martha’s” telling the Lord what to do (albeit with good intentions) actually commanding Him to leverage His authority to make others obey us in Jesus name 😳 ?
Are we busying ourselves attempting to serve with works of the flesh to feed the flesh, while He Himself is present to feed the spirit, just like Martha was?

By the way, why was she doing that.... who told her to do that?
Was she “taking her thoughts captive and making them obey Christ”?
Didn’t our Lord tell her, “your mind is busy with many things” -

2020/2/10 8:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy