SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God and the accuser wager over Job's life

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I can't add much to what has already been said, and I'm not going to try and pick apart the book of Job, I'm just going to point out what it says to me personally, through the spirit. Job doesn't show me that there's really any rewards like Job received in the end, for those who endure the worst of trials and tribulations, even though Job did receive many things back.

Job shows me that I can have patience and faith, in the mist of all my trials and tribulations, and still trust God. I haven't been through all Job went through, but I have lost children, and a wife, and many other things in life. As I was going through my life's trails, I reflected back on the book of Job many times, it help me hold onto my faith and be patient, knowing that my reward would probably be, "my testimony".

I have a powerful testimony, and God has used me to minister to others that have lost love one's, and have experienced many other losses. For me personally, there could be no greater reward than seeing someone come to Christ over my testimony, this is the Lord working through me, showing me that what I've been through was not in vain. I know some may want to pick apart the book of Job, and expect the same experience Job had and the same rewards, for enduring many trials and tribulations, this has never been my challenge, it just ministers to me, what our simple faith and trust can bring us through.

God did not use Job as a pawn, or make a wager with the accuser, he used him as an example that we can overcome even the worst things in life, if we just have patience and faith. People ask me all the time, Bill, how do you continue to move forward after all you have lost, first I tell them I haven't lost anything, I haven't lost my wife and child, I know where they are, you can't lose something if you know where it's at, and I also tell them, I will see them again, God promised me that. I also tell them to pick up their Bible and read the book of Job, when you're finished, it should help strengthen your faith, it should also show you, with faith and patience you can overcome your losses, as Job did.

We all have to remember, yes Job did receive back many of his losses, but I don't read where Job knew he was going to receive all back he lost, as he was enduring his trials and tribulations, if he had known this, he would have never had to trust in God, and hold on to his faith. My post may not help answer all the questions that Natalie's friend needs, but as I said earlier, this is what the book of Job personally ministers to my spirit.

2020/1/15 10:30Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Amen Bill. Thanks for sharing that

2020/1/15 12:07Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Bills exegesis

Satan said to God: Job serves God because you protect him and his house and family...nothing bad happens to him, touch him and he will curse thee to thy face!

Satan said to God: Job like everyone else, you touch his flesh and he will sacrifice anything to save it...Including you!

God said: You touch him, but do not kill him.

Then over the next 30 some chapters we read the rehearsal of Job's trials, counsels and God's meeting with him.

In the end Bill comes away with this...quote "God did not use Job as a pawn, or make a wager with the accuser, he used him as an example that we can overcome even the worst things in life, if we just have patience and faith. People ask me all the time, Bill, how do you continue to move forward after all you have lost, first I tell them I haven't lost anything, I haven't lost my wife and child, I know where they are, you can't lose something if you know where it's at, and I also tell them, I will see them again, God promised me that. I also tell them to pick up their Bible and read the book of Job, when you're finished, it should help strengthen your faith, it should also show you, with faith and patience you can overcome your losses, as Job did. "

I'd say Bill came away with the right exegesis, Job didn't serve God for reward, nor did Job serve God only when he was in health and prosperous...but even when all was lost.

God's blessing upon Job just added insult to Satan's injury. Job was all that God said he was and Satan after taking Job's health home and family had to watch while God heaped back upon Job health, home and family.

Satan says...How foolish God is to think sinful and depraved man will ever give God true love from his heart.
God says...How foolish Satan is to think I don't know who loves me and who does my will.

Great post Bill.

2020/1/15 15:23Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

The patient endurance of Job does point to an important
part of the message of Job. However, we would be amiss not to express to others the worthiness of God that Job’s faithfulness reveals. That second part of the point is the real terminus of the story.

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ - Philippians 3:8

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. - Matthew 13:44

The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. - Revelation 3:21

We endure all things and overcome the flesh, sin and the devil, so that we can be with and know God.

The real testimony of the faithfulness of. Jesus, Job, Bill and all God’s suffering and sacrificing saints is the proven joyful worth of our God.

looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:2

2020/1/15 16:22Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Robert your last post was excellent, thanks

but where in Job do you find "the worthiness of God in Job"?

I know where I would look, what about you?

2020/1/15 17:17Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." - Job 1:21

I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes." - Job 42:5-6

2020/1/15 17:40Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Sorry, I left an important passage out.

Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful. - James 5:11

2020/1/15 18:01Profile
savannah

Re: God and the accuser wager over Job's life

Here's a link from 2018 that relates to the OP;

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=56202&forum=48

2020/1/16 20:46Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

(For me)
The book of Job is primarily the story of a mans faith in God... a mans unshakable belief in Gods goodness ... his unwavering commitment to obey Him no matter what it cost him or how hard it got... a characteristic was/is shared by all the hero’s of our faith even tho it figures more consistently in some characters and in others had to be learned the hard way- but in all the cases and especially in Jobs’ there was a devotion to the person of God :)

We can always (and most likely will) discuss or debate the how/why of Jobs devotion... but each of our positions will be informed by our experience as well as perspective and concept of who God is -
In each case a persons relationship with God ultimately reveals their perspective-concept-experience of God and in each case it seems God deals with each individual a bit different and ultimately on an equal basis tho as the book of Job reveals, it doesn’t always appear that way.

At the end of the day Jobs devotion proved the proper response,... we could all use a bit more of that 🙏🏻

2020/1/16 22:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: God and the accuser wager over Job's life

Natalie,
Has this thread answered any of your questions?

Sandra

2020/1/18 12:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy