SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Testimony from the saints (a 100 years ago)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Testimony from the saints (a 100 years ago)

One of the mightiest revivals that Portland ever knew has taken place in that city. The devil raged, shots were fired, some were arrested and brought up before the judges, but the Lord worked on and healed all manner of diseases that were brought baptized and saved many precious souls.

In June a camp meeting was opened up there, where 100 souls were baptized with the Holy Ghost. Ministers were brought into the work. The Christian and Missionary Alliance in Portland came into the work in a body. God is working there in mighty power today.

When the plague in Portland was taking the children off at a fearful rate, the Lord healed all the Pentecostal flock as soon as it put in its appearance. Not one of them lost one of their family. The people were told to read the 91st Psalm, stand on the Word, and keep under the Blood, and fear nothing.

The Portland campmeeting opened at Twelfth and Division streets with 1000 people in attendance, sometimes hundreds could not get in. They had all things common at the camp, and such love and unity exists. The poor saint could have a tent as well as the rich one and all were free to eat at the tables. No collection taken, and yet the needs were abundantly supplied.

In Minneapolis, Minn.

One Sunday the power of God came upon us in the morning meeting and in the evening the Pentecost began to fall, and by 11:30 the next morning six had received Pentecost, "For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God." It was like some scenes in Azusa, all around lay the slain, Methodists, Baptists, and Lutherans. Young people arose with shining faces speaking in the power of the Holy Ghost in unknown tongues. Two elderly sisters also spoke in tongues, magnifying God. We have the happiest band of baptized people you ever saw. Young ladies that were so timid, now clap their hands and shout Glory, all the time.

Another night when the meeting lasted till five o'clock in the morning, one young man, a Methodist, came through about one a.m. and spoke in tongues for two hours, giving some of the most blessed messages and interpreting: the burden was, "Jesus is coming soon, get ready to meet Him."

One little girl received her baptism and spoke beautifully in tongues, and then spoke to some unconverted young men in tongues and interpreted, which was a plea for them to give their hearts to Jesus now as He was soon coming and they would be lost. The men were visibly affected by the message.

Most of those who received the baptism in the Spirit are prostrated on the floor. Some received it while sitting in a chair or standing on their feet. Some have received it at home. Those who are prostrated, many of them tell of having a vision of heaven or of Jesus the Lord or otherwise of having come into a full and far deeper sense of God than ever thought of before. A brother coming out from under the power where he had received revelations said, "The hand of God is certainly on this work, and those who scuff and oppose it are likely to have the Lord's hand put on them in a terrible way."

The papers published many false reports, and they were threatened with arrest and to have the meetings stopped on the charge of disturbing the peace; but Bro. Pendleton announced that the meetings would continue for they must obey God. If they went to jail, they would have meetings there.

Some get to God in every meeting. They obtained a large hall that will set four or five hundred, where a permanent mission will be established.

http://dunamai.com/Azusa/azusa_Newspapers/azusa_paper-9-1.htm

2005/7/14 21:13
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Testimony from the saints (a 100 years ago)

These were definetly exciting times where God was moving across the whole world. The welsh revival and Azuza street revival happened almost at the same time. God did come down and dwell with people in power.

Oh for times like this again.

2005/7/14 23:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
Oh for times like this again.

why do you think I was yearning to attend an old fashioned Holy Ghost camp meeting?

why do you think I have little appetite for yet another "conference"?

I want to be laid out in the dirt with a hundred believers laid out with me dying to self, and magnifying the Precious Blood of Christ, and getting filled with a desperate crazy God hunger.

2005/7/15 0:43

Re:

Quote:
why do you think I have little appetite for yet another "conference"?

Sympathies, brother.

It may be that there already exist opportunities to gather to fellowship with one another, which could be taken by those who are able, to strengthen the fellowship of those who meet here. Meanwhile, Greg (sermonindex) a longterm plan for a gathering under the SermonIndex name, could be a-planning, if the Lord seemed to be leading that way.

There will always be reasons some people cannot or would not even desire to attend in 3D, but, God may have a role for certain who meet online here, to form a closer bond in the world.

We are already one in the Spirit and I feel this as as great a reality, not a lesser one than those who meet in local churches face-to-face. It [i]is[/i] different, I do not deny, but, it is a spiritual reality nevertheless.

2005/7/15 13:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy