SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : john bunyon

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Azulfire

Washington state

john bunyon

I have just read a book on john bunyon, is there any works of his on this site? I do have his book on pilgrims progress, but what i would is more info on him. thankyou michelle :-)

2005/7/14 17:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: john bunyon

Michelle, this is great that you are looking into this old saint! At home I have an old copy that has his entire works over 1000 pages aprox. I highly recommend a small volume that is his autobiography. "Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners" is another MUST read and a classic in Christian literature.

Here are 28 text articles by him on SI:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=115

Also I believe there are a few audio readings of his book "the pilgrims progress" in the downloads section.

2005/7/14 18:02Profile

go here

http://www.johnbunyan.org/

You can download the complete works of John Bunyan.

2005/7/14 18:06
Azulfire

Washington state

Re:

thankyou sooooo much :-) for your links, i will diffintly book mark them

2005/7/15 11:36Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

I remember that I was [u]forced[/u] to read [i]The Pilgrim's Progress[/i] while attending a secular High School. Having only been saved for a little over a year, I was worried that the book might be yet another literary attack on Christianity. My teacher had assigned several books that attacked religious idea and expression, particularly Christianity. She went on to explain that [i]The Pilgrim's Progress[/i] is the 2nd most read book ever (aside from the Bible). So I took a deep breath, and began to read.

However, I wept after having read the first 10 pages. The allegory was so clear -- and it spoke directly to my own life and experiences! I read the book in two days. Never had I read a book aside from the Bible that touched me so greatly!

Due to a move, I transferred to another secular High School later that year. My new English class was also assigned to write a paper about this book. The teacher (who was also not a christian) was surprised by the exhilaration by which I approached my term paper! This unsaved teacher recommended for me to read other books by Bunyan.

Since then, I have read John Bunyan's autobiography, [i]Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners[/i], as well as another allegory, [i]The Holy War[/i]. Both of these books are wonderful works -- particularly, Bunyan's "vision" of the mountain as recorded in his autobiography. You may find these books wonderful editions to your library.

Later, I found an old paraphrased children's storybook edition of [i]The Pilgrim's Progress[/i] in my school's library. I photocopied alot of the charcoal illustrations found in that book. One particular illustration, the one where Christian, dressed in rags, has his "burden" fall from his back at the Cross touched me profoundly. I framed it and have it hanging in my dorm room.

2005/7/15 12:08Profile
Azulfire

Washington state

Re:

Chriss,
thankyou for your comments, I have read pilgrims progress, but have not had the pleasure of his other works i will be reading more of him and of his works. I bet that print you have hanging is priceless to you, i have not seen any of his charcoals yet the book i have is a new print, so i wouldnt know if it is a new illistration or of the old one.
Michelle

2005/7/18 16:09Profile
Compton

Re:

I thought I might mention that in 1942, the BBC aired an abridged audio dramatazation of Pilgrim's progress with music by Vaughan Williams, who was one of Englands greatest serious composers. (Apparently Williams worked on music for Pilgrims Progress on and off for over 40 years.)

The broadcast is available on CD and makes for excellent mediation while exercising or driving. Sir John Gielgud did an excellent job providing the voice of Christian. Williams music is well worth the purchase by itself, providing the perfect blend of english folk melodies and majesty themes for the book...there is no richer audio adaptation available!

[url=http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/66511.asp]Vaughan Williams: Pilgrim's Progress[/url]

MC

2005/7/18 17:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy