SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Uneasy Conscience of a Non-Charismatic Evangelical - Daniel B. Wallace (2004)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Haha- good one Marvin.

2019/12/27 17:01Profile

Re:

I have often felt that the evangelical Christians of 100+ years ago who espoused the (American) Keswick meetings and "the deeper life of the Spirit" were basically Pentecostals sans tongues. Someone recently posted Dr. Charles G. Trumbull's booklet "The Life That Wins." He was the great uncle of Elisabeth Elliot and the editor of The Sunday School Times (which, along with Moody Monthly, had the highest circulation of any Christian journal in the early to mid 20th century with weekly subscriptions of over 100,000). Trumbull, along with close friend Dr. E. J. Pace and many others, were closely involved with the American Keswick meetings. They both spoke of fresh infillings of the Spirit, closeness to Christ, fresh revelation in the Word, Providential provision, etc. Did they secretly speak in tongues? I do not know. I do know that they sought to do all things "decently and in order."

Dr. Pace was a former missionary to the Philippines in 1905-1915 and used his artistic gifts to create beautiful illustrations for the Times' weekly lesson cartoon for 30 years. When he was in failing health in 1944 he enlisted the aid of Vaughn Shoemaker, a Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist for the Chicago Tribune who was also a Spirit-filled Christian with the Assemblies of God. The Sunday School Times ran a biographical article on Shoemaker at the time as well.

Many years later Corrie ten Boom was "outed" as a tongues talker and lost some support among the mainline denominations, but she was a wonderful woman of God.

2019/12/28 6:56

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy