SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Pride

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JaySaved

Missouri

Pride

Hi guys, I just wanted to share something that was on my heart.

Self-righteousness/Pride

Self-righteousness can also be referred to as “being Proud”. “Proud” in best described as in Deuteronomy 17:20 “This regular reading [of God’s law] will prevent him from becoming Proud and acting as if he is above his fellow citizens. It will also prevent him from turning away from these commands in the smallest way. This will ensure that he and his descendants will reign for many generations in Israel.”
In this sense it is defined as “Filled with or showing excessive self-esteem.” It is a sad state of our human nature, but all too often if we place ourselves above others, we tend to trust in ourselves more than we should, becoming proud and elevating ourselves above others.
The bible clearly says in Proverbs 3:5 that a person must, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.”
What does the bible say about someone who is Proud? Let’s take a look a some scriptures so as to help you understand how God feels towards the Proud.

1Sa 2:3 “’Stop acting so PROUD and haughty! Don't speak with such arrogance! The LORD is a God who knows your deeds; and he will judge you for what you have done.”

2Sa 22:28 “You [God] rescue those who are humble, but your eyes are on the PROUD to humiliate them.”

Job 40:12 “Humiliate the PROUD with a glance; walk on the wicked where they stand.”

Ps 5:5 “Therefore, the PROUD will not be allowed to stand in your presence, for you hate all who do evil.”

Ps 10:4 “These wicked people are too PROUD to seek God. They seem to think that God is dead.”

Ps 18:27 “You rescue those who are humble, but you humiliate the PROUD.”

Ps 119:21 “You rebuke those cursed PROUD ones who wander from your commands.”

Ps 138:6 “Though the LORD is great, he cares for the humble, but he keeps his distance from the PROUD.”

Pr 16:5 “The LORD despises pride; be assured that the PROUD will be punished.”

Pr 21:4 “Haughty eyes, a PROUD heart, and evil actions are all sin.”

Isa 13:11 “’I, the LORD, will punish the world for its evil and the wicked for their sin. I will crush the arrogance of the PROUD and the haughtiness of the mighty.”

Eze 31:14 “Let no other nation PROUDLY exult in its own prosperity, though it be higher than the clouds, for all are doomed. They will land in the pit along with all the PROUD people of the world.

Ho 13:6 “But when you had eaten and were satisfied, then you became PROUD and forgot me.”

Hab 2:4 “"Look at the PROUD! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked; but the righteous will live by their faith.”

Lu 14:11 “For the PROUD will be humbled, but the humble will be honored."

Ro 1:30 “They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, PROUD, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents.”

1Co 13:4 “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or PROUD”

Col 2:18 “Don't let anyone condemn you by insisting on self-denial. And don't let anyone say you must worship angels, even though they say they have had visions about this. These people claim to be so humble, but their sinful minds have made them PROUD.”

1Ti 3:6 “An elder must not be a new Christian, because he might be PROUD of being chosen so soon, and the Devil will use that pride to make him fall.”

Jas 4:6 “He gives us more and more strength to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say, "God sets himself against the PROUD, but he shows favor to the humble."

1Pe 5:5 “You younger men, accept the authority of the elders. And all of you, serve each other in humility, for "God sets himself against the PROUD, but he shows favor to the humble."

2Pe 2:10 “He is especially hard on those who follow their own evil, lustful desires and who despise authority. These people are PROUD and arrogant, daring even to scoff at the glorious ones without so much as trembling.”

Let’s look at one example of Pride:

Luke 18: 9-14
9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great self-confidence and scorned everyone else: 10 "Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a dishonest tax collector. 11 The proud Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: 'I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else, especially like that tax collector over there! For I never cheat, I don't sin, I don't commit adultery, 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.' 13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, 'O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.' 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For the proud will be humbled, but the humble will be honored."

We as Christians must be on Guard because we can easily be taken with pride. I admit that I find myself being proud more than I care to admit. I want you to take notice of what 1 Timothy said: “An elder must not be a new Christian, because he might be proud of being chosen so soon, and the Devil will use that pride to make him fall.” We see here that the Devil can use pride as a stumbling block. This is why it is so important to be humble in all things, as Christians it is hard enough to stand against the spiritual forces of darkness, it would be must harder if we gave the Devil a foothold in our lives through our Pride.

I also would like you to take note of the following phrase: “God sets himself against the proud, but he shows favor to the humble”. This phrase appears in the Bible at least 3 times. It is found in James 4:6 and 1 Peter 5:5. Both of these verses are in reference to Proverbs 3:34. So obviously this is a point that God wanted to make sure we understood.

I would encourage all of you (I am including myself) to pray to God and ask him to reveal any pride in your life. As you have read, God resists the Proud, but the humble will be honored. Ask God to reveal to you if you are Proud. I care about each and everyone of you and pray that all of you will humble yourself before God so that HE may lift you up.

2005/7/14 16:20Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: Pride

Jaysaved
The Lord has been laying on me for some time now that all He has done for me has been out of His own grace and mercy. He has also been revealing to me my fallen state so i may know for sure that i am in no way deserving of what He has done lest i raise myself above my brethren. i've been guilty of that but again in His grace and mercy He has dealt with me concerning that. it's the way of the world that when we gain a little knowledge or the Lord gives us some sort of increase in Spirit that we start to get puffed up.

i pray we all heed the warning that the Lord sets Himself against the proud and it is not good o have God setting Himself against you, that's not a fight anyone should pick...

God bless and keep you

2005/7/14 16:57Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I can't remember when, but I was meditating on this once and I felt the Spirit say to me:

[i]"Heaven holds no pride."[/i]

Pretty convicting... all the glory and honor belongs to Jesus and no one has the right to share it with Him. He alone is worthy!

-Eli

2005/7/15 9:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy