SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : new book - Hosanna in the Highest

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

new book - Hosanna in the Highest

The new book is here!

HOSANNA IN THE HIGHEST is an 80 page anthology featuring stories from the Bible, history, and modern day testimonies, illustrated in sequential art (comics) form which include:

"The Gadarene" (from Luke's Gospel) - drawn by Alec Stevens

"Dr. Marcus Whitman" - drawn by Edwin B. Wallace 

"Kawla Kuma: Man of the Mizo Hills" - drawn by Harold Johns

"Great is Thy Faithfulness" (the story behind the hymn) - drawn by Alec Stevens

"Arthur Lock: the 'Mayor' of Capital Avenue" - drawn by Charles L. Ramsay

"The Widow's Prophecy" (an account of Scandinavian evangelist Emanuel Minos and a powerful warning of God's impending judgment upon the nations, and the blessed hope found only in Christ) - drawn by Alec Stevens

and many superb single illustrations by U. S. Abell, Jack Hamm, John G. Lambrides, E. J. Pace, Henry Ossawa Tanner, and Edwin B. Wallace -- all men of like precious faith in Jesus Christ.

- carefully researched, richly edifying, and inspirational -

For more information visit https://calvarycomics.com/publications/hosanna.html

Non-US orders please inquire about additional postal rates.

2019/8/23 16:15
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: new book - Hosanna in the Highest

That looks good. I used to have the Chick tracts some years back. I like some of the other publications you have got as well.

2019/8/24 13:42Profile

Re:

Thank you, David!

I knew Jack Chick. We used to talk on the phone over the past 15 years. Many think he must have been an abrasive character because of the confrontational nature of some of his tracts, but he was quite soft spoken and gentle when we spoke. He wanted me to work with him, but passed away several years ago before that could happen. The new fellow over there has never replied to any of my emails, so I just let it go. I'm quite busy with my own publications.

One of the stories in the new book is reprinted by kind permission of Salvation Army headquarters in London. It is "Man of the Mizo Hills: the Story of Kawla Kuma." Harold Johns originally drew it in weekly installments in Young Soldier in the 1960s. I mention this because today Mizoram in northeastern India is, according to Wikipedia (of all sources), 87% Christian. The Salvation Army, Presbyterians, and other Christian missionaries won many souls to Christ in Mizoram in the late 1800s/early 1900s, among whom was Kawla Kuma who himself became an effective soulwinner.

Why this particular sector of the country was more receptive to the Gospel I do not know, but the answer may prove to be useful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Mizoram

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

2019/8/24 15:39
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Thanks for that Alec. I once cycled to London 70 miles from here to buy £50 of Jack Chick tracts. That was over twenty five years ago. And my mum got up early to persuade me not to try. When I reached London I had cramp and couldn't cycle back home though .... Fortunately the guard at the train station allowed me to get on a train with the bike.

I got a letter from Jack Chick once when I wrote to him. Yes he was a kind person. I didn't expect such a nice reply. It was a letter from him and tracts.

I hope it all goes well for you.

2019/8/24 19:14Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

It's great that you knew Jack Chick. I'm sorry things haven't worked for you with the new owners. Maybe it's for the best.

2019/8/24 19:20Profile

Re:

70 miles = 112 km - that's quite a ride! Were you in West Sussex at the time?

Yes, I've no hard feelings about the Chick work. God opens and closes doors. I am very thankful to be working on my own. Over the years orders have come in from all over the world.

Agape in Christ,

2019/8/24 19:24
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

I hope you can continue the work Alec. I remember Chick explaining the power of images alongside printed words.

And I remember also the Chick packs of their most popular tracts.
Yes, cycled from the coast here.

2019/8/25 3:38Profile

Re:

Well, I'm glad you were allowed to bring your bicycle on the train (at Victoria station, I presume).

Chick's "This Was Your Life!" tract has sold over 500 million copies, making him the most-published author on the planet during his lifetime.

2019/8/25 6:18

Re:

If you scroll down to the bottom of this link you will see the opening six pages (of a much longer story) of "Man of the Mizo Hills." I mentioned it in an earlier post.

Enjoy!

http://www.christiancomicarts.com/forum/topics/hosanna-in-the-highest-comics-anthology?xg_source=activity

2019/9/2 10:11
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: new book - Hosanna in the Highest

They are very good drawings. And tell my favourite story of a healing performed by Jesus. How the people came and saw the man in his right mind.

Mark 5 v 15
They came to Jesus and saw him who had been possessed with the legion of demons sitting and clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid.

It always brought tears to my eyes.

2019/9/2 13:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy