SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Secret of Power from on High.. By Andrew Murray

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

The Secret of Power from on High.. By Andrew Murray

The Secret Of Power From On High
By Andrew Murray

Introduction

Some time ago I saw the advertisement of a little book, Prayer Made Easy. At first I thought that if prayer was made too easy, it would lose its power; but I was so anxious to help those who were weak in prayer that I ordered a copy of the book, and I found that the writer had discovered the secret that it is only as the Holy Spirit teaches us to pray that our prayer will have power, and be a joy to us. I felt that here indeed was a deep truth. It reminded me that so many know nothing of what the Holy Spirit can do for them.

I found some simple, helpful thoughts in the book, and these suggestions I shall use in the first chapters of The Secret of Power from on High. I shall then go on and try to help God’s children to exercise the great and wonderful privilege of close fellowship with God in prayer through the Holy Spirit, and to explain something of what is meant by a life of all-prevailing intercession.

I would lead my readers to consider their relation to the Holy Spirit in regard to prayer, and help them to realize what an unspeakable privilege it will be to take time every day to call upon the Spirit, and to surrender themselves entirely to His guidance.

When the prayer meetings held at the time of Pentecost are over, many feel that they need help in studying God’s Word at home, and to be led into the realization of the silent but mighty work which God’s Spirit will do in them.

Christians should not remain "babes in Christ," but should grow up as spiritual men, to know the Lord Christ and to serve Him, to be witnesses to those around them, and a blessing to all with whom they come into contact.

Without spiritual guidance, Christians often find difficulty in understanding and appropriating the teaching of St. Paul’s Epistles in regard to the work of the Spirit, which is needed "for the perfecting of the saints," whereby the Body of Christ is built up into a "perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" (Eph. 4:13,14).

This pocket companion seeks to give help and teaching to all seekers after the life which is wholly surrendered to the leading of the Holy Spirit. The great truths regarding the work of the Spirit are presented as simply as possible, and the reader is led to see how important it is to be changed into His image from glory to glory as by the Spirit of the Lord.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may grant great and new thoughts of His wonderful love, and a full measure of the blessings He is waiting to bestow.

The Dispensation of the Spirit

"How much more shall your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?" (Luke 11:13).

The writer of a little book on prayer tells us that he has learned through his own experience the secret of a better prayer life, and would gladly pass on that which has helped him. As he was meditating on prayer, the great thought came with power that we are now living in the dispensation of the Spirit. He says: "I felt deeply that in this time of the working of the Holy Spirit, all we may do in God’s service is of little value unless it is inspired by the power of the Holy Spirit. This brought me to the well-known, precious, and inexhaustible text, ‘How much more shall your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?’" (Luke 11:13).

I felt anew that the main thing for each of us is to receive afresh from the Father, the Holy Spirit for our daily needs and daily life. Without this we cannot please God, nor can we be of any real help to our fellow men. This brought the further thought that our prayers, if they are to raise our lives to fulfill God’s purpose, must have their origin in God Himself, the highest source of power. Water cannot rise higher than its source. And so it happens that if the Holy Spirit prays through us as human channels or conduits, our prayers will rise again to God, who is their source, and the prayers will be answered by the Divine working in ourselves and in others.

"I believe more and more" says the writer, "that the Christian life of each one of us depends chiefly on the quality of our prayers and not on the quantity."

What material for thought is here, for deep meditation, for earnest prayer! When you pray today, ask the Heavenly Father to give you the Holy Spirit afresh for this day. He yearns to do so.

Father, grant me now the working of Thy Holy Spirit, that I may learn to pray.

From The Secret Of Power From On High by Andrew Murray. Used by permission of the publisher, Christian Literature Crusade.

If you have benefited from the selections reprinted above from The Secret Of Power From On High, and want to read more, you may ask for a copy when you write us this month. It is a thirty-one day devotional booklet that may be used over and over. Our supply is limited so you need to write promptly.

2019/6/28 19:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy