SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Problems with the "Literal" Adam

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

“The placing of a catastrophic global flood in the year 2304 BC means that all civilizations discovered by archaeology must fit into the last 4,285 years.“

From creation.com

2019/5/13 13:15Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Todd: So what is wrong with that? We really don't have any cultures older than that. Yes I know about all the supposed cultures claimed to be older, but by what standard? Surely if the scriptures have a literal Adam, we cant have more than around 6k years to have any.

But if Adam (as Peter Enns says) is just an Israelite symbol, well, I suppose we can just jettison the bible altogether.

With an all powerful God there are no half-right bibles, or half-right chronologies or half-right accounts. Of course with men, they have multitudes of them.

One of the reasons you get fired upon as a Darwinist is because the T.O.Evolution requires these ages to introduce man and animals into the mix. The scriptures do not.

2019/5/13 13:28Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Liberal theology has never stopped attacking literal meanings on any key doctrines.

Adam is myth or poetry
The Noah's flood is myth or a local flood
Parting the Red Sea was just low water that day.
The red Nile was just a mud slide
The Miracles of the prophets are mostly fabrications
The prophecies of Daniel are written 'after the fact'
The virgin birth never occurred
The resurrection never occurred
The miracles of Jesus are mostly fabrications
The sin nature of man is founded upon the misconception of Paul concerning Adam.
The Deity of Jesus Christ is a fabrication
Hell is a pagan myth
Heaven is a hopeful crutch in religion
The scriptures cannot be understood as divinely inspired.
The ancient Church manufactured the Trinity from near-by paganism
Satan is a myth or at best a personification of evil men.
Angels are a myth or at best a personification of good men.

The liberal theologian works exhaustively to supply the skeptic, atheist, agnostic and apostate every tool they need to attack the Church. You will find the Atheists in their books love to quote the Liberal Theologian because even they recognize a theology that inert and superficial comes from the mind of men...a religious concoction.

Letting a liberal theologian teach the Church is to eventually rip away any super-naturalness. The Church is reduced to...as Paris Reidhead says "poetry and nice words and axioms".

I for one refuse Peter Enns and any other liberal theologian. While they may add an ounce of truth to the scales, they have already mined away tons of truth and piled it up as waste.

2019/5/13 13:46Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Paris Reidhead "Ten shekels and a shirt" if anyone has listened to this sermon and actually believes anything the man says cannot without serious conflict and contradiction accept the teachings of liberal theology.

2019/5/13 13:51Profile
jochbaptist

Sree

“But I have observed that those who believe in literal interpretation of the Bible are dangerous because they mostly call others heretic just because they disagree with them.”

So, by your definition I am DANGEROUS?

You are using a very broad brush there brother.

A simple study of the ages of those in Jesus’s geneology will add up to roughly 6000 years till now. A honest look at these scriptures will show that they require a literal reading.
The problem I have with those of a differing opinion, is that the Bible IS very clear on this. Be careful of the influence of a narcissistic, worldly approach to reading scripture.
“Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.“

I do value your contributions and insights on the forum.

Blessings

2019/5/13 15:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Sree

The problem is not only population growth but also population spread- there are places all over the globe with massive complex structures that required certain levels of culture and skill and manpower. It’s not as if pyramids were only being built near Mesopotamia.

2019/5/13 15:54Profile
Sree

Quote:

I apologize if I appear to have used a broad brush. That is not my intention. The literal interpretation people I have met have always called others heretic for not believing in what they believe.

Quote:

The problem I have with those of a differing opinion, is that the Bible IS very clear on this. Be careful of the influence of a narcissistic, worldly approach to reading scripture.

Unless Bible clearly says that the earth was formed 6000 years before, we have NO reason to believe in such a view. Also those who are undecided are not influenced by Science. I love Science and I am decently intellectual. But it is not of the fear of science or its influence that makes me take a neutral stand. I just do not believe Bible was intended to give a clear picture of Scientific way of formation of earth. Bible is a spiritual book, it answers a realm that science cannot reach, for example nature of God, how God wants us to obey him, his standard, his love for mankind etc. Science answers a realm that Bible is not intended to reach like layers of earth, chemical composition etc.

You are against someone painting everyone with same brush but you do the same when you say Science influences the idea of those who disagree with your view! Which as I explained is not true.

Quote:

A simple study of the ages of those in Jesus’s geneology will add up to roughly 6000 years till now. A honest look at these scriptures will show that they require a literal reading.

If everything in the Bible is to be taken literal then Sun going down and coming up as well should be taken serious. But there we use the knowledge of science! Bible is not direct word of God, it is an inspired word of God (2 Tim 3:16). When God inspired men, he can only inspire him within the boundary of knowledge of men. For example when Jesus used his parable, he did not quote cellphones are laptops in his parable. He only used objects like farming which were known to the people. Same way God inspired only the way people of that time could understand.

Now I certainly do not believe everything in the Bible should be taken literal. I also do not use my wisdom to decide what should be literal and what is not. That is why I am undecided.

On the age of the earth, it was not created on Day one. There is a gap between heaven and earth being created and day 1 creation. We cannot be certain on what happened in this gap.

2019/5/13 16:35Profile
Sree

Quote:

I apologize if I appear to have used a broad brush. That is not my intention. The literal interpretation people I have met have always called others heretic for not believing in what they believe.

Quote:

Unless Bible clearly says that the earth was formed 6000 years before, we have NO reason to believe in such a view. Also those who are undecided are not influenced by Science. I love Science and I am decently intellectual. But it is not of the fear of science or its influence that makes me take a neutral stand. I just do not believe Bible was intended to give a clear picture of Scientific way of formation of earth. Bible is a spiritual book, it answers a realm that science cannot reach, for example nature of God, how God wants us to obey him, his standard, his love for mankind etc. Science answers a realm that Bible is not intended to reach like layers of earth, chemical composition etc.

You are against someone painting everyone with same brush but you do the same when you say Science influences the idea of those who disagree with your view! Which as I explained is not true.

Quote:

If everything in the Bible is to be taken literal then Sun going down and coming up as well should be taken serious. But there we use the knowledge of science! Bible is not direct word of God, it is an inspired word of God (2 Tim 3:16). When God inspired men, he can only inspire him within the boundary of knowledge of men. For example when Jesus used his parable, he did not quote cellphones are laptops in his parable. He only used objects like farming which were known to the people. Same way God inspired only the way people of that time could understand.

Now I certainly do not believe everything in the Bible should be taken literal. I also do not use my wisdom to decide what should be literal and what is not. That is why I am undecided.

On the age of the earth, it was not created on Day one. There is a gap between heaven and earth being created and day 1 creation. We cannot be certain on what happened in this gap.

2019/5/13 16:35Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

2019/5/13 16:52Profile
jochbaptist

TMK

Hi Todd

You might find this video interesting -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1yRTC6kGE

Blessings

2019/5/14 4:17Profile