Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: What the self wants

Quote:
Per brother Todd’s request for a practical presentation/illustration of “dying to self” from pockets of glory thread-

The self wants;
To win
To grow
To acquire
To be adored
To be envied
To be respected
To be feared
To be honored
It desires more
It’s acts are to preserve itself
It’s aims are to protect itself
It’s methods are to promote itself
It requires stimulation
It seeks recognition
It wants domination
To be lord.....

Great thread, we truly need death to self in the Christian life. So Christ can be glorified.

2019/5/5 14:14Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Could we liken this subject unto,...

* The ten virgins,...

Mt.25:1-12,
“Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.”

2 “And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.”

3 “They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:”

4 “But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.”

5 “While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.”

6 ¶ “And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.”

7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.”

8 “And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.”

9 “But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.”

10 “And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.”

11 ¶ “Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.”

12 “But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.”

Note: They, ..all ten were made ‘pure’ .
Note also,.. that they knew who the bridegroom was,.. they believed in / on Him-
But !
They /we slumbered and slept,.. they /we did not keep ‘Oil’ in their / our lamps,..
Note : it was “midnight “ ,... it was a dark time in their ..lives.

But, What is this ‘Oil’ ?

..... could it be the ‘Alive’ Spirit of God,.. ...? Could it be The Anointing ?,...
Could it be ‘The Resurrected Lord in us’ ?..... the resurrection,.. The kingdom of God,.. a place IN God, where The King, who is Jesus, leds us by His Spirit ?

Are we neglecting allowing The Lord to ‘save’ us from ourselves (self)

*neglecting so great a salvation ,..

Heb.2:1-3,
“Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.”

2 “For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;”

3 “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;”

———————♥️
elizabeth

2019/5/5 19:43Profile
sherri2

Re: Amen

It’s so refreshing to hear what is being shared here. Jesus is so precious.
Edited to add scripture: Hosea 10:12 Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD, until He comes and showers righteousness on you.

2019/5/5 21:03Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Grace, grace and more grace... this is where and why it comes- there is a work to do, we are “co-laborers” , and there is a choice to make continually.
If we can “fail” the grace given us, then it is to be used for the intended purpose, to turn away from sin/self/flesh and towards God, acknowledging our dependence on His Spirit. When the temptation to gratify or decide on behalf of our flesh comes, He directly, divinely influences our hearts to turn away from sin and towards Him, allowing Him to lead us instead of being led by our self...
This is how we mortify our flesh/self... simply stop feeding it- starve it till it withers up.
Likewise the grace of God that reaches us, brings salvation (turning to/dependence on God), teaches us to deny ourselves (mortifying our flesh)
How do we get this grace..... humble ourselves - and if we really are desperate for God (and not just wanting relief from our present circumstances) then as the scriptures say we will “purify ourselves” we will look around with a critical eye for anything (or one) that tends to draw us away from and not towards God, and with certainty we will cast these out and will not return to them. Knowing my flesh is weak, and tends to stray- why would I allow anything to remain in my immediate environment that entices me to sin (decide on behalf of self)?

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

We are led by our flesh/self/sin.... or
We are led by the Spirit/Word/Son of God...

2019/5/7 8:00Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

The Idol Self:

The way of the Cross means, then, the overthrow of egoism, for before the divine life can rise in man, self must die. It is the very ground and root of sin. The assertion of the I is the perpetual tendency of the flesh. “I live” is the watchword of carnalism, and there is no sin which is not an assertion of self; as the principle of life. This idol is able to assume so many disguises, some of which are so subtle; delicate, and refined, that its presence in the heart can only be discovered by that searchlight of the Holy Ghost of which we have spoken.

It was at this idolatry of self, under the garb of religion, that Christ hurled the most terrible denunciations that ever fell from His lips. It was known in His day as Pharisaism, and wherever the life finds its center in the I, we are in danger of becoming as offensively egotistical as they.

This idol may actually assume the character of a defender of holiness teaching, and we may be ready to fight over terminology, and say the .bitterest things of those who dare to think differently to ourselves. That was why the Pharisees bated Christ, and hounded Him to the death of the Cross. Our Christian work, our prayers in public and private, our reading of the Scriptures, our almsgiving, may all become poisoned with Pharisaism, and utterly devoid of the graciousness, meekness, and self-forgetfulness of Jesus Christ; and poisoned they inevitably will be, if the idol self is not given over to that glorious idol-breaker, Jesus Christ, for destruction.

“Who can tell,” says one, “what harm this ‘I’ does to devotion — how it lessens it, and narrows it; how it renders piety ridiculous and contemptible, in the eyes of the world, which is always ready to criticize, spitefully and pitilessly, the servants of God? Who can tell of how many miseries and weaknesses and falls it is the cause? How it makes devout people fretful, uneasy, officious, uncertain, eccentric, jealous, critical, spiteful, ill-tempered, insupportable to themselves and to others? Who can tell bow often it frustrates and stops the operations of Divine grace; how it favors the cunning and snares of the devil; how it makes us weak in temptations, cowardly in times of trial, reserved and ungenerous in our sacrifices; how many noble designs it brings to nought; how many good actions it infects with its dangerous poison; how many faults it disguises and makes appear as virtues?”

No wonder Luther siad: "I am more afraid of my own heart than of the Pope and all his cardinals. I have within me that great Pope, Self."

From Beyond Humiliation: The Way of the Cross
Gregory Mantle

2019/5/7 9:29Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Oh my,..

What can I say here ??

It makes me think to gasp for breath , at the counsel here,,, sooo needed, and as Sherri says refreshing in this day to find.
....praise God !

There is, and has been a vast deception in the world, ... people are dying in deception,..and will stand before God,.. according to Scripture, and still be deceived in that day of judgement,... ....

Mt7:22,
“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?”

Rev.12:9,
“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, ”

We are thankful for these truths, that are being shared here,.... for ourselves, and because people are dying in a sea of deception.

Amos8:11-12,
“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:“

“And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.”
( will / is truth be hard to come by, ...sparse ? )

God has given knowledge of Truth,.. ...
A praise to God, for ones that will not hide in the the earth until He comes.
Much needed and I am thankful for these truths.

Blessings,

——————-♥️
elizabeth

2019/5/7 10:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy