Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reidhead and Original Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
todd

California

Re:

Can someone expand on the meaning of "Hebraic" for me and it's application here?

Also, what is your understanding of Romans 7:9,

"I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died."

When was Paul referring to when he was alive?

Since I last took part in this discussion (though in a different thread I think) I have had some new thoughts regarding this doctrine.

1. If we do come into this world untainted by sin, then this would really shed a new light on the fact that we must become like children to enter the kingdom of God.

2. I have recently been learning and thinking more about repentance. Since one important meaning of it is "turning back (to God)," what could this be referring to if not to how we originally were (as children before the age of accountability)? Well, I suppose it could be taken more "spiritually" to turning back to how we (as a race) were before the fall (in relation to God). But I still find it interesting.

2003/11/5 23:22Profile
Jason

Re:

It is naive to ignore the fact that our biases can and often do influence the way we see the Scriptures.

However, objective truth is absolutely obtainable. In order to truly understand Scripture, we must first allow God to puncture our ideas.

Our biases can get in the way, but it is important that we recognize our biases and are willing to give them up. I know that many things I was initially taught or that the culture would have taught me have simply been shot down by a close reading of Scripture.

It is foolish to think that we are not influenced by our surroundings. It is equally foolish to think that God cannot reveal himself and his intentions in spite of our biases, changing us and our views. This is the witness of the Apostles, after all, who were radically changed by the Spirit of God and passed along a pure and undefiled message -- a message that God has enabled us to understand in a pure way.

Unfortunately, those of us who endeavor by the Spirit of God to understand these writings, leaving behind the tainted and heretical doctrines of such men as Augustine, must battle uphill to first come to the truth in spite of the majority's embracing of error. The battle continues when those who value the doctrines of such men challenge the authority of anyone who dares challenge the authority of these heretics among the "Great" Church Fathers.

2003/11/6 2:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

No one who knows me would regard me as a traditionalist. I have a little list of quotations which sum up my position.
1. I hold myself sacredly bound, not to defend these positions at all events, but on the contrary, to subject every one of them to the most thorough discussion, and to hold and treat them as I would the opinions of any one else; that is, if upon further discussion and investigation I see no cause to change, I hold them fast; but if I can see a flaw in any one of them, I shall amend or wholly reject it, as further light shall demand.

True Christian consistency implies progress in knowledge and holiness, and such changes in theory and in practice as are demanded by increasing light.

Finney in the preface to his Systematic Theology (1851)

2. If I shall perceive either by myself or by the information of another, that ought be escaped me, or might be more plainly translated, I will shortly after, cause it to be mended.
William Tyndale's preface to his Translation

3. I charge you before God and His blessed angels to follow me no farther than I have followed Christ. If God should reveal anything to you by any other instrument of His, be as ready to receive it as ever you were to receive any truth of my ministry; for I am very confident the Lord hath more truth and light yet to break forth out of His holy word."--
The chaplain to the Pilgrim Fathers

4. and a delightful bumper sticker I saw in Oregon.. "If you haven't changed your mind recently, how do you know you still have one?

However I am mindful of something else, the One Body of Christ. The Church is One, horizontally throughout the whole world AND vertically down through the generations. I am part of the Church that Paul is (still) part of, and Augustine and Calvin and Fox and Booth and Spurgeon and Finney and Tozer and Reidhead. These, as far as I can know and sense, are my brethren in Christ. I want to listen to them; I will not 'bin' their testimony unheard. I am not afraid of them so I don't adopt a mental seige attitude. Let them speak, and I will listen. Then I must hold these things before God and think through my own understandings and continue to invite challenges to them (which I sometimes do in this forum). I need to think and formulate so that I (personally) can give reason for the hope that is in me (personally) with meekness and a good conscience.

Above all I must be alert against the notion that my generation is the best and most informed and that earlier generations of God's people are to be tolerated paternalistically; they are the Church into which God has placed 'some apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers... until WE ALL COME... to a FULL GROWN MAN.

If I discover in my thinking any of the Elijah syndrome 'I, only I, am left' I remind myself of Job's stinging comment "No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you."

still a disciple i.e. still learning...

2003/11/6 4:47Profile
drchris

India

Re: Leonard Ravenhill on Original Sin

From his sermon - Take time to be holy (from 42:40 into the talk)

But you say every child that comes into the world, the Lord puts the devil in him and then sends him to hell for having the devil in him eh? Well that's hardly justice. I heard a statement the other day where one man said "Remember now, you're responsible for Adam's guilt." Can there by anything more insane? Can any judge condemn me for what my father did? Surely not!
Now the greatest preacher America ever had in my judgment is Charles (Beecham?) and he did not believe in Original Sin. He believed that every child was born innocent and acquired depravity in the time he decided to run his own life.

2017/2/11 4:25Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

Welcome Chris, don't forget to introduce yourself.

What's the link for the sermon?

2017/2/11 4:57Profile
drchris

India

Re:

http://ia600700.us.archive.org/24/items/SERMONINDEX_SID1770/SID1770.mp3

This is the link of the message by Leonard Ravenhill. It is titled - Take Time to be Holy. The part that I've typed out begins at 42 minutes and 40 seconds into the message.

2017/2/11 6:13Profile

Re: born a sinner

psalm 51:5

Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

2017/2/23 4:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy