SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The precious BLOOD of JESUS.. David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

The precious BLOOD of JESUS.. David Wilkerson

By David Wilkerson
April 15, 1996

Christians often sing about the power of the blood. Indeed, the anthem of the Pentecostal church is, "There is power, power, wonder-working power in the precious blood of the Lamb." But most believers seldom enter into the power of that blood.

We simply do not comprehend the great significance of the blood. For example: We constantly "plead the blood" as some kind of mystical formula of protection. But few Christians can explain its great glory and benefits.

If I were to ask you what the power of the blood means, you might answer, "It means that my sins are remitted -- that I'm free from the bondage of iniquity -- that all my sins are covered." Yet, beyond forgiveness, what does the blood of Jesus Christ mean to you? Can you explain to me, to your family, to a coworker the value and virtue of the blood of Jesus?

I want to give you a fuller understanding of the preciousness of Jesus' blood -- and how it can work wonderful changes in your life!

1. In Scripture the Blood Is
Spoken of in Two Ways --
Blood Shed and Blood Sprinkled!

Most Christians know about the blood Jesus shed for us. When Christ lifted the cup at the last Passover, He said,

"...This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you" (Luke 22:20).

We memorialize His sacrifice every time we have communion. But that is the limit of most Christians' knowledge of Jesus' blood. We know only about the blood being shed -- and not about its being sprinkled!

The first biblical reference to the sprinkling of blood is in Exodus 12:22. The Israelites were commanded to take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood of a slain lamb, and sprinkle it onto the lintel and two side-posts of their front door. That night, when the death angel came and saw the blood on the door posts, he would pass over the house.

Please understand -- as long as the blood was left in the basin, it was of no effect; it was merely blood that had been shed. The blood had power to save only when it was lifted out of the basin and sprinkled!

Why couldn't the Israelites have simply laid the basin of blood at the threshold and said, "It doesn't matter what we do with it. After all, blood is blood"? Suppose they had put the basin on a linen-covered table, or on a pedestal just inside the door?

I'll tell you what would have happened: The death angel would have struck that home! The blood had to be lifted out of the basin and sprinkled on the door to fulfill its purpose of protection.

This blood in Exodus 12 is a type of the blood of Christ. The blood that flowed at Calvary was not wasted -- it did not fall to the ground and disappear. No, that precious blood was collected in a heavenly fountain.

There is a gospel song that says, "There is a fountain filled with blood, and sinners plunged beneath that flow lose all their guilt and stain..." Yet this concept isn't scriptural; we don't plunge into the blood or swim in it. No -- it is sprinkled on us!

If Christ is Lord of your life, then your door posts -- your heart -- have been sprinkled by His blood. And this sprinkling is not for forgiveness only -- but also for protection!

When you are sprinkled, you are totally under the protection of Christ's blood, against all the destroying powers of Satan. When his forces see Christ's blood on your door posts, they must pass over you. They cannot touch you -- because they cannot touch anyone sprinkled with Christ's blood!

So, you see, the preciousness of the blood has to do with much more than forgiveness. Jesus' blood has not been left in the basin -- but has been lifted out and sprinkled on your heart. And it is waiting to be sprinkled on the door posts of hearts around the world!

There is also a sprinkling of blood mentioned in Exodus 24:1-11. In this passage, God made a covenant agreement with Israel. He promised, "If you will obey My words, I will be a God to you, and you will be My people."

After Moses read the law to the people, they answered, "We understand -- and we will obey."

They agreed to the covenant with the Lord.

Now, this covenant had to be sealed -- to be ratified and made valid -- and that could happen only through the sprinkling of the blood upon it. Hebrews tells us Moses "...took the blood ...and sprinkled both the book, and all the people..." (Hebrews 9:19).

The shed blood of the burnt offerings was contained in a basin. Moses took some of this blood and poured part of it by the altar. Then he took a hyssop, dipped it in the basin and sprinkled some of the blood on the twelve pillars (representing the twelve tribes of Israel). Finally, Moses dipped the hyssop into the basin and sprinkled the blood on the people. This blood covering the people, sealed the covenant!

It is clear from the passage that the sprinkling of the blood gave the Israelites full access to God, with joy. On this occasion it had nothing to do with forgiveness and remission of sin -- but, rather, with communion. They were now sanctified, cleansed -- fit to be in God's presence.

Then Moses, Nadab, Abihu and the seventy elders went up to the mountain to meet God. And the Lord appeared to them, coming down a sapphire-stone walk. These men saw a table spread before them -- and Scripture infers that with ease, comfort and no fear of judgment, they sat in God's presence and ate and drank with Him:

"And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink" (Exodus 24:11).

This is simply amazing! These men could eat and drink in the very presence of God -- whereas shortly before, they had feared for their lives. It was because the blood had been sprinkled -- and they understood the safety, the power, the security in that. They didn't fear!

Beloved, today we are in a new covenant with Jesus Christ -- a covenant sealed by His own blood. And likewise today, when His precious blood is sprinkled on your soul, it is for purposes of communion. It is so that you can go boldly -- with ease, without fear of judgment -- into God's presence for communion. You are given access to Him, with no sin condemning you. You are free to talk to God and enjoy His company!

One of the most important sprinklings of blood was done by the high priest. Once each year he went into the Holy of Holies to make atonement, which means "reconcilation." This act was meant to wipe away the people's sins, so they could be reconciled and have communion again with the heavenly Father.

The priest would carry into the Holy of Holies a handful of incense, a censer of burning coals of fire from the altar, and a container of blood from a slain ox. Within the Holy of Holies was an ark, on top of which sat a flat, golden top with a lip around it. This was the mercy seat, where God "sat"; it was His very presence. The mercy seat had two golden cherubim on either side, with wings spread over the seat.

After cleansing himself in an elaborate ceremony, the priest went inside the Holy of holies with great reverence and fear. He dropped the incense into the fire, causing an aroma and smoke to ascend. (This represented the prayers of Christ, interceding for His people. Jesus ever sits at the right hand of the Father, interceding for the saints.)

Then the priest dipped his finger into the blood and sprinkled it seven times on the mercy seat:

"And he shall take of the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it with his finger upon the mercy seat eastward; and before the mercy seat shall he sprinkle of the blood with his finger seven times" (Leviticus 16:14).

When the blood was sprinkled on God's seat, forgiveness of all sins was accomplished, and all past sins were covered. When the high priest came out, the people knew God had accepted the sacrifice, and their sins were pardoned. Israel never doubted it!

Beloved, we too have a high priest -- Jesus, our Lord. And He is our High Priest not just once a year, but for all time -- to the end of the world! Jesus took His own blood to the true mercy seat -- into God's presence, the Holy of Holies -- and presented it for the remission of all sins, of all believers, of all time. It was a final sprinkling!

Scriptures says of this act:

"Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us" (Hebrews 9:12).

"How much more shall the blood of Christ...purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" (verse 14).

"...now to appear in the presence of God for us" (Hebrews 9:24).

Jesus took His own blood into heaven for us! And it isn't reserved there simply as a memorial. It is to be sprinkled on all who come to Him by faith!

2. How Is the Blood of Jesus
Sprinkled Upon the Heart?

It is tragic that so many believers do not enjoy the power and virtue of the blood of Jesus. Scripture makes it clear -- it is important for us to know how the blood has been sprinkled on our hearts. This is done in two ways:

The blood is sprinkled on us by the Spirit of Christ, who dwells in us.
Jesus sprinkles His own blood on us when, by faith, we receive His finished work at Calvary. This isn't a physical sprinkling; rather, it is a legal, spiritual transaction. He sprinkles the blood on our hearts in response to our faith. And until we truly believe in the power of His sacrifice at Calvary, the blood of Jesus cannot produce any effect upon our souls!

"Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation [a reconciliation] through faith in his blood..." (Romans 3:25).

Churches around the world partake of communion regularly. Yet, Paul warns us not to "drink [the cup] unworthily." This doesn't mean merely partaking of a communion service after we've failed in some way; we know that if we repent of our sin, Jesus will forgive us and cleanse us of all iniquity.

No -- I believe Paul is saying we are to discern Christ's body properly. He's talking about coming to the Lord's table, drinking of the cup symbolic of His blood -- and yet not believing in the power of that blood! It has to do with sitting in condemnation and fear -- not believing that Christ's blood has justified and sanctified us in God's sight.

Many believers are condemned out of the wonderful experience of the Lord's table, because they do not come to the blood in faith. Paul is saying, "No wonder so many are sickly among you. You are left weak because you do not believe in the total victory of Christ's blood!"

Such Christians are saying, in essence, "I know it's wonderful to be justified through the blood of Jesus Christ. But I still have trouble believing the Lord reckons me righteous. After all, I still haven't arrived. I still struggle."

Beloved, the truest evidence of faith is rest! If you believe with all your heart, it brings your conscience and soul into rest. And when you come to the Lord's supper and partake of the cup, you can say, "I believe I am saved, forgiven, healed, because I believe in the blood. I trust in it!"

The blood of Jesus is sprinkled on our soul through Holy Ghost preaching.
When you hear Christ and His blood being exalted in Holy Ghost preaching, you can know the blood is being sprinkled!

When Philip preached the gospel to the eunuch, that man's heart was ravished by the Word. Immediately, he begged to be baptized. Philip said to him, "...If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest..." (Acts 8:37).

Likewise, every time you take to heart Holy-Ghost-anointed preaching, crying, "Lord, please, give me all Your truth" -- you are being sprinkled with Christ's blood, by faith!

At this point, you may be wondering, "How can I know whether the blood has been applied to my heart?" Here are three ways you can know if you have been sprinkled by the blood:

If you are now willing to walk in the light and allow the Holy Ghost to expose all darkness in you, you can know you've been sprinkled.
"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 John 1:7).

John is clearly talking about someone who is in love with the Word, unafraid of reproof -- who says, "Lord, shine Your Holy-Ghost light into every crevice of my heart. I want to walk in the light." If you love the light, it's a sure sign you've been sprinkled!

If you call on the power and authority of Christ's blood when you're under enemy attack, you can know you've been sprinkled.
When those who have not been sprinkled are in trouble, they call their best friend or a counselor, or they wallow in fear and condemnation. But those sprinkled with blood immediately stand on Jesus' blood!

We often hear the phrase "pleading the blood" used in Christian circles. But that is not a Scriptural term. The word plead here means "argument"; it suggests begging, beseeching. And that is a defensive mode.

I believe our attitude must be stronger than that. We are warriors -- blood-bought, blood-saved, more than conquerors through Jesus Christ! We are not in a courtroom with the devil, pleading a case. No -- we are victors! Jesus has won the victory for us; His blood has prevailed. And I believe our battle cry should be, "I proclaim the victory of the blood of Jesus! I am blood-washed, blood-bought, blood-justified, blood- safe, blood-ransomed. And I proclaim the victory of the blood of Jesus!"

When you are so secure in the cleansing, justifying power of the blood that your conscience no longer condemns you, you can know you've been sprinkled.
Your conscience does an evil work when it does not wake you or stir you to obedience to the gospel. It does evil when it unnecessarily condemns you, accuses you, constantly reminds you of how you failed God, causes depression and fear.

But when you fully rest in the cleansing, justifying power of the blood of Jesus -- when you take command of your conscience in the Spirit -- your conscience is no longer an accuser, but, rather, does its work properly. When the devil rises up with an evil accusation, your conscience proclaims the victory of the blood!

"Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience..." (Hebrews 10:22).

A peaceful, purged conscience is a sign of being sprinkled with His blood!

3. What Are the Benefits
That Flow From the Blood
of Jesus, Once Your Heart
Has Been Sprinkled?

Jesus' blood redeems us from sin and the power of darkness.
"In whom we have redemption through his blood..." (Ephesians 1:7).

We are no longer under condemnation or fear!

A lot of people have been redeeemed and justified by the blood -- but they don't know it, because they live in fear and condemnation. They've given faith to the Lord -- but they haven't entered into the glory of being justified by the blood.

They're like a man who has built up a huge debt and can't pay it. The man's wealthy boss comes along and pays the bill without telling his employee -- then calls him in to give him the good news.

The man sits down, is handed the dossier of debts, and flips through the pages to see the list of bills he has accumulated. He thinks, "I'll never be able to pay all this. They're going to throw me in jail!"

When the CEO sees the man's fearful countenance, he is perplexed. He says, "Excuse me -- did you look at page one?" The man flips back to the first page, which reads: "Paid in full."

Many Christians are just like this man: They don't know their sin has been covered, paid in full! We have to enter into that knowledge by faith in order to have the benefit -- which is peace with God!

Jesus' blood has purchased the whole church of God.
"...feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood" (Acts 20:28).

Christ's church is not for sale! Forget the idea of Satan bringing down His church. Don't wring your hands and moan, "Oh, no, the church is going to hell." No -- it is going to heaven! Why? It has been blood-bought for eternity!

Jesus' blood breaks down all walls.
"But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and broken down the middle wall of partition between us" (Ephesians 2:13-14).

At Times Square Church, this has great meaning. More than seventy nationalities worship here, but our church has no walls, no nationalities. We are all one in Christ -- a blood-sprinkled church. Indeed, those who are blood-sprinkled no longer have any walls. They've all come down!

Jesus' blood sanctifies us.
"...the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 John 1:7).

This ought to put a big faith-smile on your face. You are sanctified -- sprinkled clean! This is a continuing work of the Spirit.

Christ's blood overcomes Satan and puts him to flight.
"And they overcame him [the devil] by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..." (Revelation 12:11).

What is the word of the testimony? It is simply this: "I believe in the blood! I testify to the prevailing, overcoming power of the blood of Jesus -- and I proclaim its total victory!"

If you want to overcome the devil, stand on the blood -- and proclaim its power!

The blood gives us access to the Holy of Holies -- to our heavenly Father -- without reproach.
"Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus" (Hebrews 10:19).

We are to come to our Father boldly -- without fear!

4. What Does God Expect of
Us Once We Are Sprinkled
With the Blood of Jesus?

Are we obligated in any way by this sprinkling? Yes -- very much so! If we have been sprinkled by the blood of Jesus, we are commanded to do two things:

1. We are to go in peace -- and doubt no more!

When Moses sprinkled blood on the sinning Israelites, they never once doubted they were pardoned and accepted by God. They trusted in that sprinkling!

Today, the blood sprinkled on us is not that of bulls, goats or sheep -- but of Christ, the Lamb of God. And yet we have more doubt, more fear than those Israelites!

Martin Luther said it is blasphemy to take back to ourselves all the sins that were laid on Christ. I agree! It is absolute sacrilege to go about in fear, guilt, condemnation -- to say, "The Bible says that by faith I am cleansed, justified and protected from Satan's power -- yet I can't believe such a glorious thing is possible!"

2. We are to praise God with a thankful heart -- never doubting!

We are commanded to thank God for the precious blood of Jesus, with high praises:

"...we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement" (Romans 5:11).
"Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart" (Psalm 32:11).
"Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound..." (89:15).
"I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness..." (Isaiah 61:10).
Proclaim the victory of Jesus' blood in your life. And begin praising Him now for the promise of that great day of redemption ahead.

Amen!

---
Used with permission granted by World Challenge, P. O. Box 260, Lindale, TX 75771, USA.

This material is solely for personal use and is not to be posted publicly on other web pages. The Lorain County Free-Net Chapel holds exclusive rights from World Challenge, Inc. to publicly post these messages on its web page. You are free to download, copy, print and distribute this material, so long as you do not post it on a different Internet site. You may, however, link this site to reference these messages.

2019/3/15 17:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy