SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : THE PRAYERS OF CHRIST

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dohzman

THE PRAYERS OF CHRIST

I've never seen a post in the formuns yet on the prayers of Christ and the whole scope of our saviours prayer life, so I thought it good to start one and just ask some questions and leave a verse of scripture for us all to add to and see where it leads. 1)What's your favorite prayer in the bible and why 2) What specifically about the prayer life of Jesus should we be immitiating?
I can't think of any other questions so I'll depend on the rest of the body of Christ here to add questions, ideas, insights, ect....Let's see where the Lord leads us.
Here's the scripture to start us off on : Heb5:5-8
God Bless in Christ Brother Daryl

2005/7/7 0:12Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: THE PRAYERS OF CHRIST

Whew... this almost slipped off the page into that "zereo reply zone" ;-)

Thanks dohzman, love the way you get these things started like this...

Quote:
1)What's your favorite prayer in the bible and why

Diificult, impossible! So many, Daniels outpouring, the Psalms... John...

Of the many, John 17 and instantly upon your question the first thing that came to mind was:

[i]O righteous Father![/i]

There is something incredible to me in the utterance out loud of that from the Lord, so much that is contained within those words, the intimacy, the love... of what was expressed before and after that vocalisation of the true heart, the whole context of that prayer... Yes this one has forever gripped me, all of this prayer, it's so vast and rich...

A little footnote, that is from my NKJV and in the KJV there is no exclamation point:

Joh 17:25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

It is very well though, the whole of it is an exclamtion irregardless...

And of course there is:

Joh 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

"[i]This is[/i]"..... [b]![/b]

Sorry brother, got caught up in just the first part here, you were mentioning Hebrews;

Heb 5:5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.
Heb 5:6 As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Heb 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Heb 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

Hope this becomes a long running thread, great idea brother!

2005/7/7 10:25Profile
dohzman

Re:

Eccl. says that that in the writting and reading of many books there is weariness. That's why the idea came to look upon an aspect of Jesus'. I love how fast we get caught up in the life of Christ when we just simply start to talk about Him.When you talk of Jesus you can hear the love, not only of Jesus' to the Father but your own love toward Jesus.

What amazes me is that Jesus IS GOD in the flesh praying! That blowes my mind.Especially when he says things like , John 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone; but for them also who shall believe on me through their word. I mean this is GOD!How powerful is that? And to think that He not only died for me but that He lives for me now too! I sometimes feel so issolated when the Lord reminds me that He keeps me in His prayers continually, how humbling, to think that by His Spirit we can be like Him in this world.What a wonderful God!

Like you I really hope that this thread will take off too. I see such richness on this site in the writtings of those who talk back and forth here, I truely believe it can become a well spring of life and hope to those that come here and might be weary and ready to quit. God Bless Bro. Daryl

2005/7/7 13:45Profile

Re: THE PRAYERS OF CHRIST

I thought I'd see what some of the brethren put up here, but, can't wait any longer to post!

1)What's your favorite prayer in the bible and why?

Hebrews 10
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but [b]a body hast thou prepared me[/b]:
6 In burnt offerings and [sacrifices] for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, [b]Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.[/b]

Not to be misunderstood here, I like this because it is loaded with relevance to both Christ and us. We cannot die the death He died for us, but, we can understand our bodies as the vehicle through which the Father seeks to do His will if we will co-operate with Him. There is much to 'work' on, in the attitude department but, He is willing to use us, if we will present ourselves. This is the background to Romans 12:1, is it not?

2) What specifically about the prayer life of Jesus should we be immitiating?

The above prayer goes with the prophetic words from the cross in Psalm 22. I love the breakthrough which Jesus experiences suddenly. This encourages me to hold on till the breakthrough comes, without fainting.

Psalm 22
21 [b]Save me from the lion's mouth[/b]: for [/b]thou hast heard me[/b] from the horns of the unicorns.
22 [b]I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.[/b]

Verse 21 is the end of His description of what He is going through. From this section of the psalm (vv 11 - 20) I learn it is ok to spell out to my Father in heaven, just how bad I'm feeling and why I think that may be. This seemed to help Him get through the experience, extreme as it was.

In fact, as He breaks through v 21, He cries '[[b]thou has heard me[/b]'. This is such a relief to one who feels cut off from God, (for whatever reason - maybe their own sin, maybe a dry patch or an experience which causes us to put our roots deeper into Him) and what always blesses my heart, is that without warning, He breaks very quickly through and out of His pain into [i][b]praise[/b][/i], in v 22. '[b]I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.[/b]' Also, 'my brethren', is always encouraging and comforting.

A preacher once asked 'can you hear Jesus leading the singing?' - which gave me a new insight as to what those three words 'I praise thee' might mean. There are many exhortations to [i]praise[/i], regardless of circumstances, and I have found this to be a fruitful obedience to which to apply my being. It is never a wearisome pursuit!

2005/7/8 19:50
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Whoa..

Went searching for this thread again and...

Quote:
I sometimes feel so issolated when the Lord reminds me that He keeps me in His prayers continually

That just sent the shivers through me... Of all the times I have read that and know it...I don't think it ever really hit me until you put it this way... wow

Deranged mind, the tendency is to think of it 'generally', not personally. The hair is still standing up... my!

2005/7/9 21:46Profile
dohzman

Re:

Quote:
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

That's one of my favorite passages in the whole of the Bible. I see Jesus viewing our hopelessness and standing up and saying, I'm going to do something about my children whom I created for my own pleasure.

2005/7/10 5:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy