SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Haley parting speech - U. N. hopelessly biased against Israel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
docs

Haley parting speech - U. N. hopelessly biased against Israel

Outgoing U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley slammed the U.N. as “hopelessly biased” against Israel on Tuesday in what is likely to be her last appearance at the Security Council -- and teased the Trump administration's Middle East peace plan.

Haley spoke at the Security Council’s meeting on the Middle East, where the Israel-Palestinian conflict has frequently been the main topic of discussion -- a discussion often critical of Israel.

Haley, who leaves her post in January, has made a point of using her remarks to talk about other issues, particularly Iranian aggression in the region. But in her final address to the monthly meeting, she broke with that tradition and ripped into the body’s anti-Israel bias, mentioning in particular the General Assembly vote this month where the body failed to adopt a U.S. resolution condemning Hamas.

“The U.N. has shown itself to be hopelessly biased, as we witnessed again just two weeks ago when the General Assembly failed to even condemn Hamas’ terrorism against Israel," she said.

Haley has made combating anti-Israel bias at the U.N. one of her priorities in her time at Turtle Bay. The U.S. withdrew from the U.N. Human Rights Council -- which Haley called a "cesspool of political bias" -- and has cut funding to the U.N. Palestinian refugee agency. Last month the U.S. voted against an annual resolution condemning the “occupation” by Israel of the Golan Heights -- a change from the U.S. decision to abstain in 2017. Haley said last month that, while being unable to condemn Hamas, the U.N. has passed more than 700 resolutions critical of Israel.

Nikki Haley looking at the camera© Provided by Fox News Network LLC On Tuesday, she accused the U.N. of having an “obsession with Israel.”

“This U.N. obsession has been entirely unproductive. It’s actually worse than that. The U.N.’s obsession with this issue has been counterproductive. It has sent a loud and false message to the Palestinians that they might be able to achieve their goals by relying on the U.N., rather than through direct negotiations. And it has sent a loud and accurate message to the Israelis that they can never trust the U.N.” she said.

Haley also teased the Trump administration’s Middle East peace plan, a plan expected to be unveiled in early 2019. She said that she had read it, and that instead of containing “unspecific and unimaginative guidelines,” it is longer and more thoughtful.

“It brings new elements to the discussion, taking advantage of the new world of technology we now live in. It recognizes that realities on the ground in the Middle East have changed in powerful and important ways,” she said.

“This plan will be different from all previous ones -- the critical question is whether the response to it will be any different.”

There were signs of potential opposition to the plan from the eight former, current and incoming E.U. countries on the Security Council, who warned ahead of the meeting against a plan that did not respect current “internationally agreed parameters based on international law, relevant U.N. resolutions, and previous agreements.”

“Any peace plan that fails to recognize these internationally agreed parameters would risk being condemned to failure,” the statement said.

In her remarks, Haley made the U.S. position clear, and said that it would be up to other countries to choose whether to focus on the parts of the plan they did not like, or move forward with negotiations.

She said that the U.S. would continue to offer a hand in friendship to the Palestinians -- who she said the U.S. has financially supported “by far more than any other country has done” -- but also expressed America’s “unshakeable bond” with Israel.

“...Whatever it is that others decide, the world must know that America will remain steadfast in our support for Israel, its people, and its security,” she said. “That is an unshakeable bond between our two peoples.”

(FOX News)

2018/12/19 19:43Profile
docs

Re: Ever the pot remains stirred

NIKKI HALEY SLAMS UNESCO AS 'CORRUPT AND POLITICALLY BIASED' AS US, ISRAEL OFFICIALLY QUIT UN AGENCY

By Amy Lieu | Fox News

Nikki Haley, the exiting U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, issued a harsh assessment of UNESCO on Tuesday, one day after the United States and Israel officially quit the U.N. agency, alleging an anti-Israel bias.

"UNESCO is among the most corrupt and politically biased UN agencies," Haley wrote in a Twitter message. "Today the U.S. withdrawal from this cesspool became official.

The Trump administration filed its notice to withdraw in October 2017 from UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), and the administration of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu followed suit.

Paris-based UNESCO, which supports various educational and cultural projects around the world, has been denounced by critics for criticizing Israel's occupation of east Jerusalem, naming ancient Jewish sites as Palestinian heritage sites and granting full membership to Palestine in 2011.

Israeli U.N. envoy Danny Danon said Tuesday that his country "will not be a member of an organization whose goal is to deliberately act against us, and that has become a tool manipulated by Israel's enemies.

"UNESCO is a body that continually rewrites history, including by erasing the Jewish connection to Jerusalem," Danon said, according to the Jerusalem Post.

The withdrawals are mainly procedural yet deliver a new blow to UNESCO, co-founded by the U.S. after World War II to foster peace. But they will not greatly impact UNESCO financially, since it has been dealing with a funding slash ever since 2011, when both Israel and the U.S. stopped paying dues after Palestine was voted in as a member state.

Since then, officials estimate that the U.S. — which accounted for around 22 percent of the total budget — has accrued $600 million in unpaid dues, which was one of the reasons for President Trump's decision to withdraw. Israel owes an estimated $10 million.

UNESCO Director General Audrey Azoulay took up her post just after Trump announced the withdrawal.

Azoulay, who has Jewish and Moroccan heritage, spent the last year lobbying for the two countries to remain members, the Jewish Telegraphic Agency reported.

She presided over the launch of a Holocaust education website and the U.N.'s first educational guidelines on fighting anti-Semitism — initiatives that might be seen as responding to U.S. and Israeli concerns.

But Washington ignored Azoulay's efforts to get the two countries to reconsider, which included brokering compromises that saw anti-Israel resolutions delayed or softened, according to the TImes of Israel.

Officials said that many of the reasons the U.S. cited for withdrawal do not apply anymore, noting that since then, all 12 texts on the Middle East passed at UNESCO have been consensual among Israel and Arab member states.

In recent years, Israel has been infuriated by resolutions that ignore and diminish its historical connection to the Holy Land and that have named ancient Jewish sites as Palestinian heritage sites.

The State Department couldn't comment because of the U.S. government shutdown.

Earlier, the department told UNESCO officials the U.S. intends to stay engaged at UNESCO as a non-member "observer state" on "non-politicized" issues, including the protection of World Heritage sites, advocating for press freedoms and promoting scientific collaboration and education.

The U.S. could potentially seek that status during UNESCO Executive Board meetings in April.

2019/1/2 17:39Profile
passerby

Re:

The nation of Israel is a testimony of God and a proof of His existence. The story of mankind is tightly linked on how He deals with Israel.

2019/1/6 10:45Profile
savannah

Re: Nikki, Israel and Titus

Why do you put so much emphasis upon what Nikki is saying, yet say nothing about what she is doing!

Is she and/or others like her immune to the injunction by God through Titus in chapter 2:3-5. If you say she is, I say you don't take seriously the order God has established.

Leadership has been placed in the hands of men.
Family, church, and government.

I expect that the world should ignore and not take God seriously.

But, you who take this stand with Israel, why do you not equally take this stand with Titus!

The building of many is being built upside down on a foundation of quicksand.

Why is the Word of God not taken seriously and even maligned?

A. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not maligned. Titus 2:3-5

2019/1/6 11:29Profile
docs

Re:

Thank you passerby.

I couldn't agree more.

2019/1/6 11:43Profile
docs

Re: Nikki, Israel and Titus

What a legalistic overreach!

By posting a article I saw about Nikki Haley and her efforts at the U.N. I'm not taking seriously the order God has established and am even maligning the word of God? I remember not long ago when I made a simple post about going to a movie one afternoon after church on Sunday and your reply was why would a Christian want to do something like go to a movie after church and you had me in league with Hollywood and cooperating with the Antichrist. Now sharing a article about Nikki Haley has me denying God's order and maligning the word of God. These rants and baseless accusations are born of the flesh and not the Spirit. They are baseless and how quick you are to throw them them out over the least of things.

What a legalistic flesh inspired overreach! We should expect better.

2019/1/6 19:04Profile
savannah

Re: Mr Legality

Rather than taking offense and going into a rant and name-calling, why not answer the question. And note the "if" connected, before asserting that I have said you or anyone in particular is "not taking seriously the order God has established and am even maligning the word of God?"

"Is she and/or others like her immune to the injunction by God through Titus in chapter 2:3-5. If you say she is, I say you don't take seriously the order God has established."

It's simple. Just answer the question above!

2019/1/6 21:12Profile
docs

Re:

I won't be jumping through any of the hoops you put out in the form of questions you post to require people to answer to determine their faith. It's one of the ways you use to try people but it doesn't work with me. Your overreach to the Haley article is so ridiculous it's a bit puzzling you can't see it. Sometimes one can have right beliefs but the way they practice them and lay condemnation on others who don't do it just the way they would ends up making them wrong even when they are right. Meanwhile, no hoop jumping from me.

In respect for Greg I won't be saying anymore.

Peace.

2019/1/6 21:44Profile
savannah

Re: anyone for hoops

Whether or not a christian, or a nation, supports Israel, is meaningless!

Such doesn't 'determine their faith'.

The nation of Israel is anti-Christ.

2 John 1:7,9, 10,11

For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an anti-Christ. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

1 John 5:9-12

If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

John 5:16-18,23, 39-42,

And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. I receive not honour from men. But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

One of the ways one 'determines their faith',

1 John 3-14,15

We know that we have passed from death into life by this: Because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother remains in death. For everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that eternal life cannot abide in anyone who is a murder.

2019/1/9 10:01Profile
docs

Re:

/The nation of Israel is anti-christ./

So....

And?

If God purposefully hid Himself from you and imposed a blindness on you would you be able to believe in Him? Were you able to overcome your own blindness or did God have to do it for you? God is well able to graft then in again in Christ when the set time comes.

Greg made a post once about a record number of Jews leaving France today because of growing anti-semitism. Your reply was basically so what just because these Jews are leaving doesn't really mean that much. I'm suspicious of attitudes like that toward modern Jews. It takes away your credibility when speaking of Jewish issues. It's too bad that many times one's theology produces these attitudes.

2019/1/9 15:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy