SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : To pro-lifers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

To pro-lifers

As a start to this thread, I am wondering if and how the pro-life movement has attempted to address the potential fathers in the unwanted pregnancy equation, to what end and with what effect?

2005/7/6 14:09

Re: To pro-lifers

First off, the way this is worded it seems there is an assumption that pro-lifers judge and condemn women who have abortions. I don't think that's true at all of 99% of pro-lifers. I, for one, feel a lot of compassion for women (girls really) who find themselves in those situations. Lets face it, most abortions are performed on teenage girls. I don't hold their feet to the fire as being guilty of murder (tho they are). These girls need to be handled delicately.

For the fathers... I have much less compassion on them. However, since the laws in the US do not give the fathers a voice in the abortion decision, it is hard to legally hold them responsible. Morally they are just as responsible in most cases. Guilty of fornication certainly... but the girl can have an abortion and the boy know nothing about it. For those who coerce the girl into having an abortion... I could wrench his neck and give no more thought to it than killing a cat. But that's not what the Spirit of God wants from me. I have no respect for these boys who do that... and I will not call them a father... because I AM a father, and I fit the definition. They do not. Nor do I call them a man.

Krispy

2005/7/6 15:34

Krispy,

Quote:
First off, the way this is worded it seems there is an assumption that pro-lifers judge and condemn women who have abortions.

Umm :-( How did you get that from the question?

2005/7/6 17:52

Re:

It was just my interpretation of the question... I've been known to be wrong. Sometimes meanings get lost in written words. Without facial expressions and vocal inflections it can be easy to misinterpret what someone is trying to convey...

Krispy

2005/7/7 9:09
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Speaking from my experience of 15 years in the pro-life ministry at a Crisies Pregnancy center, we have had fathers come in distressed because their girlfriend was going for an abortion and there was absolutley nothing he could do to prevent it. All we could do would be to try to contact the girl - with him there- and talk to her.

Yes, it is as another poster said, the fathers have no legal rights in preventing their child from being aborted, even if you are married to the mother. However, if the child is born, the father is required to pay child support.

As a female I believe the job of ministering to [unwed] fathers should be a male responsibility. Men generally are not into feelings like females, and because of a woman's emotional makeup it is generally improper to help a male in this regard. However, there are males who target unwed fathers for rendering spiritual counsel, but this type of ministry does not get a lot of publicity. It would be interesting to hear from males who are into this ministry...perhaps they could give us females some insights...

ginnyrose

2005/7/9 6:31Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I could wrench his neck and give no more thought to it than killing a cat. But that's not what the Spirit of God wants from me.

In my experience as a CPC volunteer, I would often have like to tie a milestone around some people's neck, but I am not aware that Jesus called anyone to this type of ministry...

Krispy, the world needs more men like you....

ginnyrose

2005/7/9 6:37Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

I don't think I read you right the first time I read your question, either, dorcas, but I think I know where you are coming from.

I think people should take responsibility for their actions. Obviously this is not done on the case of abortions, in reference to these fathers of the abortions-to-be. I am blind, to be honest, once you go past the idea of abortion being legal. I can't reason trying to pass laws concerning anything but making it illegal.

I got this from Kent Hovind: isn't it strange how deer are protected from spotlight hunters, and eagle egg robbers can be jailed, but we don't give the child in the womb the sporting chance we give wildlife.

The subject starts to make me angry, and I keep going over these verses from Prov 6: "...the LORD hate(s)... hands that shed innocent blood."

The angel of the LORD told Mary, thou art with fetus? No, thou art with child. There is life in the womb, and it being slaughtered. I can't reason past this.

2005/7/9 20:57Profile

Re: to prolifers

..I am wondering if and how the pro-life movement has attempted to address the potential fathers..

By 'potential fathers' I was actually thinking of before the sexual event.

Quote:
The subject starts to make me angry, and I keep going over these verses from Prov 6: "...the LORD hate(s)... hands that shed innocent blood."

Thank you for sharing this verse.

I too get angry, but, mine is less focused, in that the situation of any woman seeking a termination of pregnancy, has necessarily involved a male in the first instance, who scripturally, bears at least the same amount of responsibility. To say he has no legal right over the unborn fetus, is to ignore that he could have prevented this situation arising in the first place.

Can we expect non-Christians to live by Biblical precepts? Is this hypocrisy in our churches? Are we ready to encourage our own 'church' children through pregnancies they should not be having to contend with, boys and girls alike? Here, I am not talking about contraception, but, if we are unable to succeed in the teaching of sexual mores to our own youngsters, would we rather they had safe sex? Or is that too non-Christian? What is real for them? What is their truth? If they have not believed for their salvation, why should they be ostracised for living like worldlings? - Because their parents believe? I'm honestly not sure. It might be better to give them the same respect we would give someone from an unbelieving background. Maybe it would promote honest talking all round.

I can't help but feel there should be as much love as possible, as if we were trying to [i]win[/i] them. My own feeling is that they should be left with the impression there is always an open door to God's presence, should they wish to seek Him privately at any time and [i]nothing[/i] they could have done in a short life, is beyond His reach to forgive, if and when they come to see things His way, and repent. They have as much right to 'self-determination' as any other sinner, do they not? I feel they are being treated differently somehow and it bothers me.

2005/7/10 19:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy