SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
filhodedeus

Brasil

Re:

To all who have posted,

Hi, I'm new to the site and really enjoy reading the topics, but I was drawn to this one especially. I find it quite interesting the word studies in Greek posted here and the discussion about tongues.

When the Tower of Babel was being built is when God gave the different languages to the world. From all the things that I have read in the Bible, God ALWAYS restores what sin has taken away. God is complete in the restoration of His people. I believe that upon receiving the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues, God restored a universal language for His people...a spiritual language.

I agree that if tongues are spoken in the assembly of the saints, that an interpretation should be given, but when the speaking of tongues is something that has the dynamic of someone speaking and the entire church listening and receiving a word from the Lord. I have attended churches in the US that were Pentecostal in nature and many times the Holy Spirit was using many people to pray one for another. People were prayed for in their native language by the person praying for them and in tongues.

I feel this was appropriate because Satan doesn't have an understanding of this language that God has given to His people. Jesus lives in all who have received Him. The Trinity being separate but the same gives room for the Holy Spirit to speak through us for exactly what the person that we are praying for needs. Jesus is the Great Intercessor. Satan has no recourse to try to derail what the Holy Spirit is doing in someones life if he doesn't understand what is being said.

Paul said that we wage war in the spirit, not in flesh. How many times has countries during a war used a secret language to prevent the enemy from coming against what was being done to gain victory.

I think this is the same concept for speaking in tongues. If you are praying in your bedroom, it edifies yourself....if you are praying for someone and feel led by the Holy Spirit to speak in tongues I think, according to this line of thought, that you are benefitting the one for whom you are praying.

If this is confusing, please ask questions. This is my opinion, but God has taught me that in order to learn you must have humility. I welcome any other thoughts.

Bless you,

2005/8/6 16:39Profile
todd

California

Re:

fil,

I think you bring up many interesting points to consider. I think some of these things you mention might be possibilities. It would be helpful if you offered some Scripture verses to back up some of your ideas. Especially about speaking in tongues while praying for someone else. I still am not sure what I think about this. But I am leaning towards the belief that it is acceptable and can be very helpful.

2005/8/6 18:27Profile

Re:

I wanted to get in on this neat conversation, but wanted to wait to make sure it was safe. (still chicken :).

There 'are' two types of "tongues" ... that's a fact that was brought out 2 pages ago on here.

One is the evidence, called the "manifestation" 1 Coth 12:7 "given to [u]every man[/u] ... then there is "the Gift of tongues" in 12:10.

The reason it is "another tongue" is because a different word for "another" is used ONLY for the "gift of faith and the gift of tongues" ... and all the other 7 out of the 9 gifts in chpt. 12 uses another, another. :-?

Ha. What I mean is, for all the other gifts the word [i]"allos"[/i] is used.
But only for "the gift of faith and Tongues" is another word used for "another" ,,, and that was [i]heteros[/i].

The reason for the 2 different "anothers", was simply to show that "all have faith and if verse 7 says that "all have tongues", then Paul was trying to show, this is not your "typical type faith or typical tongues (the prayer/praise language).

Allos, is "different of a another kind" and Heteros, is "different of the same kind".

Tongues, the "manifestation" of Spirit Baptism is "given to all", but the "Gift of tongues of 1Co12, 14", is not.

Not all are used to give a message in Tongues {that requires an "interpretation"} in the Church ... but all are given the 'manifestation' (some call tongues, "the evidence of the Baptism") to "profit" .... the Modern KJV says "to our profit" and the NIV says "common good". But whatever profits one part (person) in the Body, profits all.

The 'Manifestation' given upon Baptism in the Holy Spirit, is 'for personal use' for prayer and praise 1Co 14:13-15.

This "different" #G2087 - "heteros tongues", is as different as "the gift of faith" is different from the faith we all have.

Anyhow, I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts here.

Shalom.

Annie

2005/8/6 23:06
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Ha. What I mean is, for all the other gifts the word "allos" is used.
But only for "the gift of faith and Tongues" is another word used for "another" ,,, and that was heteros.

Biblical Greek has two separate words for 'another'.

'allos' means another of the same kind. As I might buy 'another' (allos) KJV.. You can see this in 'parallel' (another by the side) where 'another' of the same kind and direction is placed alongside the first.

'heteros' on the other hand means 'another of a different kind'. As I might say "I have purchased another Bible" meaning a NIV or something 'quite different' from a KJV (just teasing the KJV -only folk here. ;-) ) We have the word 'heteros' in 'hetero-sexual' meaning different sexes. (sorry about the sordid example but I thought it was the one most folk would be most familiar with)

The KJV doesn't usually distinguish between these two words but sometimes it can be quite relevant. “I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto [u]another[/u] gospel: Which is not [u]another[/u]; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.”
(Gal. 1:6-7, KJV)

“I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a [u]different[/u] gospel, which is not [u]another[/u]; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.”
(Gal. 1:6-7, NKJV) where the the NKJV has translated 'heteros' as 'different' and 'allos' as 'another'.

2005/8/7 12:46Profile

Re:

Isn't it great though,when not using Greek to 'show off', but to show off the wonder of God's Word.

The point I was making, above your post, was to back up what 'you' had ventured to say, two pages ago, where you alluded to that there were two types of tongues. I wanted to help show why that was not an 'assumption' on your part.

I like to back folks up when they hit on something that's right.

Thanks for putting it your own words,,, that would make it easier for the others who follow you.

Happy Sunday :-)

(I'm feeling better today physically, then I was yesterday. I've prayed and asked the Lord for my strength back and thank the others who have prayed for me ..)

Ain't The Body of Christ, beautiful ?

amen.

2005/8/7 13:06

Re:

Thanks even more for extending on this. Wow, what a Light that is to the Scriptures..

2005/8/7 14:13
filhodedeus

Brasil

Re:

Todd,

As much as I would like to say I have a definite scripture, I don't. This is more along the lines of deductive logic. It's a culmination of many different scriptures.

I can say one thing for sure, what I have seen happen in the presence of God. I am an American living in Brasil. I orginally came here on a missions trip. There was an American praying for a Brasilian and neither person knew the language of the other. The American began praying in tongues and it sort of "morphed" into Portuguese. The Brasilian was so blessed by this, he began praying in tongues. Ironically, the tongues he was speaking in sort of "morphed" into American English. After the use of an interpreter, it was determined that each of them had prophesied over the other about many things that were going on in each others lives. They had never met and spoke different languages, but God had destroyed the barrier that pride, arrogance, and sin had taken away at the Tower of Babel.

I think this is in agreement with Acts 2 and what happened on the day of Pentecost. There were men from "every country under heaven " present that day, and each of them heard their own dialect. I find this hard to place in the coincidence category. Because of this, and many other wonderful works of the Holy Spirit, 3,000 souls were added to the kingdom.

I think we would all agree that the Trinity is one entity but distinctly 3 separate beings within this entity. For lack of a better description, a collective consciousness. Also that Jesus is at the right hand of the Father making intercession for all of us. The love of the Father wants to restore all that the enemy has stolen from us. And the Holy Spirit is alive within every believer. The main focus of the Trinity is to use whatever means necessary to return mankind to the place Adam was before the fall.

Confusion is the best weapon of the enemy. It can also be the best deterrent. Like I said in my other post, a confused enemy is a disarmed enemy. Satan is not a creator, he just imitates and distorts what God has already created. I believe this is an great example of God exercising His sovereignty in a very visible way.

Again, if anyone has scripture that says anything to the contrary of what I have said, I seek the truth, not just to be right. Blessings in the Lord.

2005/8/8 9:49Profile
todd

California

Re:

fil,

Interesting points. Thanks for clarifying. I especially think pointing out the phenomena in Acts is supportive of your understanding.

By the way, I went on a trip to Brazil a couple years ago and had a blast! Those people are hungry for God!

2005/8/8 11:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy