SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Practical guide to walking humbly before God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sree

Practical guide to walking humbly before God

I want to start this thread to understand how we can walk humbly in our daily walk. How do we keep ourselves from any thought of pride entering inside us? Many times of late I sense the pride in me only after the Lord allows me to fall. How can I sense pride in me even before the fall and run to God for grace humbling myself under his might hands?

There is this universal law, God gives his grace to humble but resists the proud. So if God takes his grace away from me then I am a immediately defeated.

2018/11/20 20:40Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Practical guide to walking humbly before God

Excellent thread, I look forward to reading replies. Thinking and acting on humility is an excellent exercise. here is a quote I ran across:

"Pride demands to do what it pleases, and to determine whether it is right or wrong. But in this stage of humility I am willing to look to God. The Saints say, 'If God wants it, I want it. If God doesn’t want it, I don’t want it.” The prideful person says “How come I can’t have it? Its not so bad. Everybody else is doing it.' But on the journey away from pride, and having come to a fear of the Lord, now the we are more joyfully ready to listen to God, and to submit his vision will for us." - Bernard of Clairvaux

2018/11/20 21:13Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

If we look at Jesus as our model, humility before God is a joyful submission to His will in love no matter what it costs AND it is a joyful putting the interests of others in love before your own no matter what it costs.

I realize there is more to humility for us because of our sin and His holiness, but once we know we are forgiven in full, then the humility of walking before God can have Jesus as its model.

2018/11/21 5:06Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

..starting each day with heartfelt thanksgiving and praise, which places us in the right position relative to our Lord, recognizing that whatever good we possess is a gift from God
"Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise"

Prayers of commitment / surrender:" Lord, I trust you with all this day, I commit all my ways , plans, duties etc to you, asking for Your guidance and help by the Holy Spirit

"Casting your cares on Him for He careth for you"

Prayer for others: Intercessions, supplications, thanksgiving on behalf of all men.

2018/11/21 8:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I try to pray this Psalm in the morning:

Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Psalm 25:4-5

2018/11/21 10:13Profile
cup

Now if there was something that "I" could do be humble than wouldn't I have pride that I did it?

2018/11/21 11:00Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Now if there was something that "I" could do be humble than wouldn't I have pride that I did it?//

A jerk might.

CLARIFICATION: I wasn’t calling you a jerk, Vern.

My point was that a person who pats himself on the back for being humble is a jerk and not humble. Here’s what Mr. Chambers said along similar lines:

“"Beware every time you notice yourself doing a good thing, because you ruin it by the notice." (Matthew 6:2) ~Oswald Chambers, "Run Today's Race"

2018/11/21 11:29Profile
cup

Re: Oswald Chambers is right!

I have been here and it did not work.

You think you are proud. You want to get rid of it. So you say; "I am proud, pride stinks, therefore I stink. I am dirt. I am proud, pride stinks. I am dirt. I am proud, pride stinks, therefore I stink. lets all repeat it, "I am proud, pride stinks, therefore I stink. I am dirt. I am proud, pride stinks. I am dirt. I am proud, pride stinks, therefore I stink." Now did that help?

2018/11/21 15:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I posted recently in a devotional this “Litany of Humility”

Definetly a challenge and humbling to pray it to the Lord.

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, hear me
From the desire of being esteemed, deliver me, Jesus
From the desire of being loved, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honoured, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of consulted, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I become as holy as I should,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

2018/11/21 16:58Profile
mama27

Re:

This is hard to put into writing but it is what the Lord has been teaching me. We hear about legalism all the time and are told to judge not, yet we know as believers we are to carefully discern between good and evil. I have found (countless, countless times) that in my spirit feelings can come rising up when I see an injustice, or some evil done by someone around me. Not always, but most of the time I am reacting to something that I believe would grieve the Lord. HOWEVER, there is often a spirit of pride in me when those feelings come rising up. Most of the time no one would even see it outwardly, but God knows it is there inside of me. This thread asked for practical helps to dealing with pride. I am learning (ever so slowly) that when that feeling rises up in me that something is wrong or someone is doing wrong around me, I have asked the Lord to give me a check in my spirit to truly examine my heart to see if I think I am better than someone, or that “I would never do THAT”, etc......This feeling I am talking about has risen up inside me so very many times over the years that I can almost feel it just as I am typing. I’m not sure this makes any sense, but I have found it a practical way to keep a short account and examine my heart. For what it’s worth......

2018/11/21 18:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy