SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why Do you call me Lord...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Why Do you call me Lord...

“But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.
Luke 6:46-48

I have kind of a strange question:

What if someone does what Jesus says but does not call him Lord? Or, better, exclusively Lord?

2018/11/4 19:59Profile
Martyr

United States

Re: Why Do you call me Lord...

Good question brother.

God told Paul that he had many people in Corinth (Acts 18:10) before the Word was preached there or they even knew the name of Christ, knowing only the names of the Roman deities.

Interesting, isnt it?

2018/11/4 21:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

This question popped in my mind because my wife and I watched “Gandhi” again the other night (excellent and highly recommended).

He was officially Hindu I suppose but he knew Christianity and the teachings of Jesus far better than most Christians and more importantly lived like Jesus told us to live.

Of course we can’t know his true heart and motivations but he certainly believed Jesus was real and honored his teachings.

2018/11/5 7:28Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

"Gandhi was dangerously politically incompetent. He ­advised the Jews to adopt nonviolence toward the Nazis, and wrote a letter to ­Hitler starting with the words “My friend”. He also advised the Jews of Palestine to “rely on the goodwill of the Arabs”. Fortunately for their existence, the Jews ignored him.
As well as calling Hitler his friend, Gandhi and Mussolini got on well when they met in December 1931. Gandhi praised Mussolini’s “service to the poor, his opposition to super-urbanization, his efforts to bring about a coordination between Capital and ­Labour, his passionate love for his people.”
Gandhi was outstandingly racist, describing “the raw Kaffir” as someone “whose occupation is hunting and whose sole ambition is to collect a number of cattle to buy a wife, and then pass his life in indolence and ­nakedness,” and saying of white Afrikaaners, “We believe as much in the purity of races as we think they do.”
His views on nakedness and sexual chastity were also belied by his depraved behavior: when he was in his 70s he encouraged his ­17-year-old great-niece, Manu, to be naked during her “nightly cuddles” with him.

From https://thinkingmatters.org.nz/2011/03/gandhi-saint-or-sinner/

2018/11/5 7:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Gandhi was just an example.

My question is broader than the example.

2018/11/5 11:21Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

"And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness." 1 John 5:19

"And this is eternal life, that they may know thee the only true God, AND Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" Romans 10:14

2018/11/5 15:34Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Why Do you call me Lord...

Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.

2018/11/5 17:23Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Notice that Jesus said "whoever comes to me, and hears my sayings, and does them". He is talking about someone who has heard the gospel.

2018/11/5 18:30Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John -Acts 18:24-25

And again God told Paul that he had many people in Corinth even though the gospel had not yet been preached there. Those who seek after truth with their whole heart will find Christ, for He is truth.

2018/11/5 19:08Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Nigel I am not disputing about the gospel- but Jesus preached Althea gospel of the Kingdom, which boiled down to basics is “I am the King, now follow me.”

If someone does what Jesus says because they believe what He says, how much doctrine does he need?

I think many Christians today know tons of doctrine but don’t do what Jesus says.

2018/11/5 19:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy