SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Good Name?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

A Good Name?

Have been grieved of late and convicted in my own heart of using words to tear others down. There is a proverb that says, "[i]A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.[/i]"(Proverbs 22:1). We would never think of stealing a man's money but when it comes to talking about others, are we stealing their good name?

I'm not sure what grieves me more, compromise in the Church, or Christians who tear one another down with words in the name of exposing compromise. I have taken to asking myself a few questions about things I've said in the past or want to say now, against something or someone;

1) Is the reputation of another safe in my hands?
2) Have I been a tale-bearer or a gossip?
3) Have I hurt someone-or the Church-by needless talk about someone's faults?
4) Even if it was true-did I glorify my Lord by telling it?
5) Did I pray for those involved?
6) Is my mind honest and clean in the sight of God?
7) Are my thoughts and motives pure?

In Christ,

Ron

2005/7/3 11:54Profile
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Re: A Good Name?

these are some great words by which to live. sometimes, it feels almost irresitable to tell the "juice" on someone else. but we must resist because who is the accuser? Satan.

i especially like #7- are my thoughts and motives pure? i read a book by dan schaeffer entitled "faking church" that examines that very point. God knows our motives behind everything we do because He sees our hearts. we can't see others hearts so it's (usually) best to keep our mouths shut.

dennis

2005/7/3 16:47Profile
Compton

Re: good topic

I hear your hearts in this guys.

Too much of what exits my mouth grieves me a few seconds later.

If only I could show the same attentive carefulness for my brothers and sisters, as I do for the text inside the Book that tells me to love others as I love myself....

MC

2005/7/3 17:48Profile

Re: What God spoke to me

Hi,
This is a much needed topic I think. I'd like to share with you what I learned from God.

We americans love to tell "stories". We love to "testify". Often however, we share of how we react to someone else's short comings. In doing so, we glorify God at someone else's expense.

If I have a desire to share, and what I share involves the sin or low point of someone else that would cause my hearer or reader to think less of that person, then I abstain from that testimony. It's not worth it. It makes me look like I'm "somebody" at the expense of another. That is NOT God, imho. It does not stir the spirit of another. Rather, it excites the flesh.

One area where this is really true is when men get together and talk about their wives, or when wives do the same about their husbands. Oh how this grieves God. Even if I'm wounded deeply, I can't tell you about if my wife or someone else we both know was the offending party. To me, it is not being Christlike. I'd rather bleed alone.

Actually, what really got my attention is when I was wounded once, deeply, and upset. I went running to God, whinning. He asked me a very sobering question..."Lahry, have you ever done that to Me?" "Yes, Lord". "Once, Lahry"? "No, many times, Lord". "Did I forgive you Lahry?" "Yes, Lord, every time." "Will you forgive Lahry?" "Yes Lord, help me to forgive every time."

It is so hard to carry a wound alone. But we are not alone, the Holy One Who was wounded most of all by OUR SIN, He is always with us. He cares, He heals, He restores. Yes, it helps to share with others, but if it is at someone else's expense, we had better lick our wounds alone, alone with God.

Humbly before Him,

Lahry

2005/7/5 8:32
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Excellent point Lahry, I think we can all relate to this weakness of having attempted to glorify God at someone else's expense, especially spouses.

So often we really are our own worst enemy. We defile ourselves in what we say and what we allow ourselves to hear also. There is a tremendous message on this site from David Wilkerson that deals powerfully with the sin of a critical spirit and of how we can defile ourselves in these ways. You can download it at the following link...

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1454]Who Shall Prolong His Days[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2005/7/5 12:55Profile

Re: Thanks Ron

I so appreciate you kind words. Thanks for the link to David's message. I love David as well and trust what He writes enough to recommend it to anyone, whether I've heard it or not.

God bless you real good today,

Lahry

2005/7/5 20:19

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy