SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dr. Tozer's & Spurgeon Advice

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tears_of_joy

Dr. Tozer's & Spurgeon Advice

'I was preparing to go to Nyack College. Before I left there was one burning question I had in mind, and I went to Dr. Tozer and said, “Could you give me some advice concerning the problem of Calvinism versus Arminianism?”
And I’ll never forget the advice he gave me. At the time I thought it was rather inconclusive and not too helpful. But I listened carefully. He said, “My son, when you get to college you’re going to find that all of the boys will be gathered in a room discussing and arguing over Arminianism and Calvinism night after night after night. I’ll tell you what to do, Cliff. Go to your room and meet God. At the end of four years you’ll be way down the line and they’ll still be where they started, because greater minds than yours have wrestled with this problem and have not come up with satisfactory conclusions. Instead, learn to know God.”'
-Cliff Westergren

2005/7/2 7:23Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: Dr. Tozer's advice

most refreshing, that way one can not only avoid endless contorversies which only stumble people but one gets to felloship with God who can minister to him on a higher level than any man can.

too many discussions end up being usurped by the desires of men to exault themselves over others or flexing intellect...better to pay that little attention.

2005/7/2 7:49Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re: Dr. Tozer's advice

thanks bro!

Quote:

Go to your room and meet God. At the end of four years you’ll be way down the line and they’ll still be where they started

1 Sam 2:26
"And the LORD visited Hannah, so that she conceived, and bare three sons and two daughters. [b]And the child Samuel grew before the LORD.[/b]"

meet God, walk with Him, and grow strong on your knees!

go forward...on your knees, while keep looking at Jesus facedown!

2005/7/2 9:35Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re:

Excellent post! Thank you so much.
Truly, there is nothing greater...for Jesus Himself told us that to know God is eternal life. There can be nothing greater or more important.

2005/7/2 9:46Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Dr. Tozer's & Spurgeon Advice

"So my theological friend over there,
who knows so much that he can split hairs over doctrines-
it does not matter what you think, or what you know,
unless it leads you to glorify God, and to be thankful.
No, your knowledge may be a millstone about your neck to
sink you down to eternal woe, unless your knowledge is
turned to holy practice. "
-C.H. Spurgeon

2006/12/2 0:14Profile
myfirstLove

thanks kire. very true and encouraging words!

2006/12/2 2:11Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Cliff. Go to your room and [b]meet God[/b]. At the end of four years you’ll be way down the line and they’ll still be where they started, because greater minds than yours have wrestled with this problem and have not come up with satisfactory conclusions. Instead, [b]learn to know God[/b].

Oh to spend the time to [b]know[/b] God! This is what matters the most rather then simply doing things for Him. God make your church a "glorious church" and a people that "know their God and do exploits!"

2006/12/2 2:19Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Very encouraging. Thanks VERY much, that was a blessing.

2006/12/6 17:33Profile
Tears_of_joy

"There is today no lack of Bible teachers to set forth correctly the principles of the doctrines of Christ, but too many of these seem satisfied to teach the fundamentals oft he faith year after year, strangely unaware that there is in their ministry no manifest Presence, nor anything unusual in their personal lives. They minister constantly to believers who feel within their breasts a longing which their teaching simply does not satisfy. I trust I speak in charity, but the lack in our pulpits is real. Milton's terrible sentence applies to our day as accurately as it did to his: `The hungry sheep look up, and are not fed.'

It is a solemn thing, and no small scandal in the Kingdom, to see God's children starving while actually seated at the Father's table. The truth of Wesley's words is established before our eyes: `Orthodoxy, or right opinion, is, at best, a very slender part of religion. Though right tempers cannot subsist without right opinions,yet right opinions may subsist without right tempers. There may be a right opinion of God without either love or one right temper toward Him. Satan is proof of this.'

Thanks to our splendid Bible societies and to other effective agencies for the dissemination of the Word, there are today many millions of people who hold `right opinions,' probably more than ever before in the history of the Church.Yet I wonder if there was ever a time when true spiritual worship was ever a time when true spiritual worship was at a lower ebb. To great sections of the Church the art of worship has been lost entirely, and in its place has come that strange and foreign thing called the `program.' This word has been borrowed from the stage and applied with sad wisdom to the type of public service which now passes for worship among us.

Sound Bible exposition is an imperative must in the Church of the living God. Without it no church can be a New Testament church in any strict meaning of that term. But exposition may be carried on in such way as to leave the hearers devoid of any true spiritual nourishment whatever. [color=000099]For it is not mere words that nourish the soul, but God Himself, and unless and until the hearers find God in personal experience, they are not the better for having heard the truth. The Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring men to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God, that they may enter into Him, that they may delight in His Presence, may taste and know the inner sweetness of the very God Himself in the core and center of their hearts."[/color]
-A. W. Tozer Chicago, Ill. June 16, 1948.
(From the Preface of The Pursuit of God)

2006/12/9 2:38Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Original post was outstanding!

2007/1/1 1:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy