SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Laying up treasures in heaven

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ald0025

Laying up treasures in heaven

Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Recently had a discussion with a brother in the Lord about laying up treasures in heaven. The conflict viewpoints is the passage talking about material treasures like a mansion in heaven (John 14:2) or it is spiritual treasures like a deeper revelation of Jesus and righteousness and truth?

His viewpoint of material treasures: The context of the passage has to do with material treasures of the earth, thus it means material treasures in heaven.

My viewpoint of spiritual treasures:

1. What is a treasure, but something your heart desires with the greatest importance. Money and the things of the world are treasures of this earth that men are seeking with all their hearts. Jesus is the treasure that followers of Jesus are seeking with all their hearts. The Lord is weaning us from the things of the world, why when I get to heaven will my heart be desiring a material object, like a mansion?

Psalm 16:5 "O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup."

Colossians 2:2,3 "Father and of Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

2. What is the currency of heaven? Jesus rebuked the church of Laodicea for saying they were wealthy, but they were actually poor. He told them to buy gold refined in the fire, what is gold, but godly character. The currency of heaven is our conformity to the will of God.

3. The Book of Revelation lays out some rewards for overcoming believers, I am all for as these being types of treasures like crowns and reigning with Jesus on His throne.

Thoughts?

2018/8/27 9:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Laying up treasures in heaven

I don’t think John 14:2 is talking about mansions in heaven- I think it’s a terrible translation and interpretation (then again, Jesus was a carpenter!)

I think you are right on in your thinking.

2018/8/27 11:26Profile
ald0025

Re:

I always took John 14:2 as the dwelling place of God by His Spirit. We have a measure of that today, but in heaven it will be a fullness.

John 14:23 "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."

Revelation 21:3 "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, God Himself will be with them and be their God.

2018/8/27 13:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Bingo- I will lay out the argument on John 14:2 when I get to my laptop. It’s perfectky logical and very interesting. Of course it will upset some folks who expect a mansion in heaven.

2018/8/27 15:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy